Light Breakfast & Lunch

Options
Anyone have any suggestions?
This isn't going to be for a diet either, it's something I'm incorporating into my life long diet. Pretty much got everything down pat, but I still juggle with what I'm doing for breakfast and lunch.
I don't like eating a full lunch, more like something heavier to snack on, and breakfast I do try something a bit heavier with little carbs and no grease. But I do have a protein shake in coffee thirty mins after I wake.
My eating arrangements are set at work to. Work in a grocery store and can't go home for lunch either. I also don't eat anything from the deli cause most is greasy or fried.
Can't have breakfast at home cause I have to wake at 5 AM then 30 minutes to leave, and that's pushing for me to get my 7 hours of minimum sleep.
I really do try to stay away from grease and pork cause I discovered that's what upsets my stomach.
Not a total loss for me cause I never really liked the taste of either.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are ready for you when you wake up. I also do a green smoothie with spinach. You can put it in a togo cup and drink it on your way to work.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been either doing a chia pudding the night before or I mix up a Carnation Instant Breakfast with almond milk. Lunches are soup and yogurt. I make a pot of soup on either Sunday or Saturday, divide it into mason jars, and take one with me each morning.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave, you could do soup for lunch...cheap, low calorie and it feels like you ate something. Broth based soups like chicken noodle are low calorie and low fat in general. I work out of my car and bring finger foods....sliced apples, sliced chicken breast, celery, etc. That usually works fine for me until dinner. snack a little at 10 and then again at 2 or so.

hard boiled eggs are good to go food, as is string cheese, celery with peanut butter or hummus
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above. I also like protein bars that are low sugar like Quest bars. Deli meat and cheeses are another go to lunch for me. You can simply eat them alone or stuff them in a whole grain pita half with some lettuce and mustard or whatever you like. You can pack them the night before and your good to go!
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How about for breakfast:
    -Coffee and a bran muffin with a piece of fruit (banana, apple, etc)
    -Greek yogurt with granola
    -Overnight oats
    -Quest bars
    -You can refrigerate homemade egg sandwiches the night before(english muffin, egg and cheese) and then just have them throughout the week.
    -Belvita Breakfast Bars

On the hectic mornings when I have class I usually have a big jug of coffee with a granola bar and a fruit.
    And tbh I skip lunch and a few hours before dinner I have a snack: yogurt w/granola & fruit.
    Then for dinner I feast.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast quickly and on the go every day and my go to is to hard boil an entire carton of eggs every week and just keep them in the fridge. In the morning I grab two eggs, a piece of fruit (or if it is berries or grapes or something, I pre-portion those out into baggies) and a drinkable yogurt with water, coffee, or tea.

For work friendly lunches I would do mason jar salads. Put the dressing on the bottom, then any other wet ingredients (like cheese or avocado) and then any other toppings, then the lettuce. Just bring a fork. You can also batch cook soup and bring that in a travel container or a mason jar to heat and eat at work.

Good luck!!
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast quickly and on the go every day and my go to is to hard boil an entire carton of eggs every week and just keep them in the fridge. In the morning I grab two eggs, a piece of fruit (or if it is berries or grapes or something, I pre-portion those out into baggies) and a drinkable yogurt with water, coffee, or tea.

For work friendly lunches I would do mason jar salads. Put the dressing on the bottom, then any other wet ingredients (like cheese or avocado) and then any other toppings, then the lettuce. Just bring a fork. You can also batch cook soup and bring that in a travel container or a mason jar to heat and eat at work.

Good luck!!

LOL Never thought bout doin that with salad. Thanks!

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    How about for breakfast:
    -Overnight oats
    -Quest bars
    -You can refrigerate homemade egg sandwiches the night before(english muffin, egg and cheese) and then just have them throughout the week.
    -Belvita Breakfast Bars

On the hectic mornings when I have class I usually have a big jug of coffee with a granola bar and a fruit.
    And tbh I skip lunch and a few hours before dinner I have a snack: yogurt w/granola & fruit.
    Then for dinner I feast.

Sounds like you got a real good healthy plan there. I try to eat light during the day then feast at night. Not binging.
    I remember years ago I did do granola bars at lunch time and lost a considerable amount of weight.

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    If you have access to a microwave, you could do soup for lunch...cheap, low calorie and it feels like you ate something. Broth based soups like chicken noodle are low calorie and low fat in general. I work out of my car and bring finger foods....sliced apples, sliced chicken breast, celery, etc. That usually works fine for me until dinner. snack a little at 10 and then again at 2 or so.

hard boiled eggs are good to go food, as is string cheese, celery with peanut butter or hummus

I checked out the soups at work and was gaping at the low calories. One chicken noodle soup on the go is 60 calories, 2 grams of fat & only 8 grams of carbs. Sodium is a bit high but I don't put much salt on food, and when I do it's Sea Salt.
    It tastes so good.
    Thank you!

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually do 300-400 calories for lunch and 200-300 for breakfast and leave the rest for dinner.

I like to do a cup of coffee with cream and a protein bar or protien smoothie in the morning. Going to experiment with protien bars I make myself soon.

I also like to have salads for lunch most days. Favorites are, Cobb salad sans blue cheese, kale with chicken, pecans, feta, red onion and avocado with an apple cider vinegaret. I also spinach with Pear, chicken, goat cheese, sweet onion and toasted almonds with a raspberry dressing.

Really, big fan of salads and I eat a lot of them for lunch because I can throw anything on them I have in my pantry like nuts and dried fruit, whatever protein I have in my fridge, if you have a few bottles of oil and vinegars you have everything you need in a pinch of you didn't get to go to the store. Kale keeps really well and I usually have a few bags washed and shredded ready to go, once you wash and bag it, it keeps for at least a week.

I might have a boiled egg or Turkey pepperette somewhere in between lunch and dinner for some added protein on the go.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    emmacken wrote: »
    I've been either doing a chia pudding the night before or I mix up a Carnation Instant Breakfast with almond milk. Lunches are soup and yogurt. I make a pot of soup on either Sunday or Saturday, divide it into mason jars, and take one with me each morning.

Good idea. Must be some secret to Mason Jars, noticed lots of people like using them besides canning goods.

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    I usually do 300-400 calories for lunch and 200-300 for breakfast and leave the rest for dinner.

I like to do a cup of coffee with cream and a protein bar or protien smoothie in the morning. Going to experiment with protien bars I make myself soon.

I also like to have salads for lunch most days. Favorites are, Cobb salad sans blue cheese, kale with chicken, pecans, feta, red onion and avocado with an apple cider vinegaret. I also spinach with Pear, chicken, goat cheese, sweet onion and toasted almonds with a raspberry dressing.

Really, big fan of salads and I eat a lot of them for lunch because I can throw anything on them I have in my pantry like nuts and dried fruit, whatever protein I have in my fridge, if you have a few bottles of oil and vinegars you have everything you need in a pinch of you didn't get to go to the store. Kale keeps really well and I usually have a few bags washed and shredded ready to go, once you wash and bag it, it keeps for at least a week.

I might have a boiled egg or Turkey pepperette somewhere in between lunch and dinner for some added protein on the go.

Thanks. Homemade protein bars sound yummy.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do 200-250 calorie salads for lunch, usually a whole bag of mixed greens, and then whatever else I can fit :) Tuna, 25 g avocado, laughing cow cheese, hot sauce. If I don't want salad, I'll do a stir fry with shirataki noodles. I literally just dump a can of stir fry veggies into the "zero" calorie noodles and add soy sauce and chili paste. About 150 calories for stir fry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you have to buy lunch at work, you could get some salad kits and just go light on the dressing too. But yeah, soup would be my vote.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If you have to buy lunch at work, you could get some salad kits and just go light on the dressing too. But yeah, soup would be my vote.

I may think about that since we're switching warehouses in about a month. I'm told the product is going to be cheaper. What we have now is $4+ a pop for a tiny salad.
    And what's even better with the salad kits is that I'm the produce manager. ;)
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How about for breakfast:
    -Overnight oats
    -Quest bars
    -Belvita Breakfast Bars

Then for dinner I feast.

Sounds like you got a real good healthy plan there. I try to eat light during the day then feast at night. Not binging.
    I remember years ago I did do granola bars at lunch time and lost a considerable amount of weight.

Yea, I mean if Im not hungry during the day why force the food in?
    At night is when Im no longer busy and its when I get the most hungry and acually enjoy food.

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

This is basically my meal plan too. I must have protein at every meal to feel full. I can usually have a good sized portion of anything I want for dinner and still be under my goal.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Breakfast I definitely go light with a ham and cheese omlette..I'll omit the hashrbown though and usually sub in a couple pieces of bacon....Lunch I try to stay light as well and save the big mean for dinner...so yah lunch today was chicken fried steak....and i think some mashed potatoes....that's just me though!!! Love all the suggestions team!!! Keep up the great work!!
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    How about for breakfast:
    -Overnight oats
    -Quest bars
    -Belvita Breakfast Bars

Then for dinner I feast.

Yea, I mean if Im not hungry during the day why force the food in?
    At night is when Im no longer busy and its when I get the most hungry and acually enjoy food.

Totally! B)

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    Breakfast I definitely go light with a ham and cheese omlette..I'll omit the hashrbown though and usually sub in a couple pieces of bacon....Lunch I try to stay light as well and save the big mean for dinner...so yah lunch today was chicken fried steak....and i think some mashed potatoes....that's just me though!!! Love all the suggestions team!!! Keep up the great work!!

Sounds like a good breakfast. On my days off I'll make scrambled eggs mixed with bacon. Can't do an omelet cause I don't know how to make it, always comes out scrambled eggs. So I make scrambled eggs. :)