Weight loss question

Options
Can someone explain to me why when I am trying to lose weight by counting calories and exercising if I have a day where I either go out to a party or out to eat at a restaurant I end up gaining at least 3-5lbs and I would pretty much have to start over to lose those pounds again. But for the past 3 weeks I haven't counted any calories, watched what I've eaten and I haven't exercised at all and I haven't gained any weight. I've been in the same 3lb range every time I weigh myself for the past 3 weeks

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When you go to the party or restaurant you're probably eating a lot of sodium and you're mostly gaining water weight. Now you're watching what you eat - even though you're not counting. So you're probably just eating at maintenance since you haven't gained or loss.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Lisa2117 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why when I am trying to lose weight by counting calories and exercising if I have a day where I either go out to a party or out to eat at a restaurant I end up gaining at least 3-5lbs and I would pretty much have to start over to lose those pounds again. But for the past 3 weeks I haven't counted any calories, watched what I've eaten and I haven't exercised at all and I haven't gained any weight. I've been in the same 3lb range every time I weigh myself for the past 3 weeks

Because party and restaurant foods tend to be higher in sodium and is causing you to retain water weight. You're not gaining 3-5 lbs of fat, unless you're eating 10,000-20,000 calories in one sitting.

• Lisa2117
    Lisa2117 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When you go to the party or restaurant you're probably eating a lot of sodium and you're mostly gaining water weight. Now you're watching what you eat - even though you're not counting. So you're probably just eating at maintenance since you haven't gained or loss.

But I haven't been watching what I've been eating for the past 3 weeks. I've been going out to restaurants, eating whatever snacks I've wanted. I've been drinking soda and juices. When I watch what I eat and count calories I only drink water.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    What about water retention, from your menstrual cycle; I typically gain 5 Pounds?
  • Lisa2117
    Lisa2117 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm not able to lose weight. When I actually count calories and exercise I was losing weight but like I said if I went out to a party or a restaurant I would gain and it would take a good 1-2 weeks just to get those pounds off.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're eating at around maitenance now, whether you're counting or not.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in versus calories out because science.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

But I haven't been watching what I've been eating for the past 3 weeks. I've been going out to restaurants, eating whatever snacks I've wanted. I've been drinking soda and juices. When I watch what I eat and count calories I only drink water.

In the past you watched your calories, ate at home, etc. You ate in a way that minimized sodium/carb bloating. Then you ate sodium/carbs at a restaurant at party and experienced water retention/bloating.

Now you've been eating out, eating salty, etc. for 3 weeks without gaining. My guess is that you are at maximum bloat and eating at maintenance.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you gain 3-5 pounds when you go out, it's either water weight or your calorie counting is wrong. Egregiously wrong. I'm betting it's the former.
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Alcohol provides 7 calories per gram. 1 oz. = 28 grams
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    It's not that I'm not able to lose weight. When I actually count calories and exercise I was losing weight but like I said if I went out to a party or a restaurant I would gain and it would take a good 1-2 weeks just to get those pounds off.

Do you use a scale?

If you are gaining weight, you are either likely underestimating the calories you are taking in, or it could be from the high sodium levels from frequenting restaurants. You would have to eat a massive feast to gain 1-2lbs of fat from one meal.

If you have not been losing or gaining, you are eating at maintenance . I would highly recommend investing in a scale and weighing all solids, and using measuring all liquids with measuring cups.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Alcohol provides 7 calories per gram. 1 oz. = 28 grams

No one drinks pure alcohol.