Running advice for a "larger" lady

Options
frazerkate_sw
frazerkate_sw Posts: 22 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so I'm 231.5lbs now, but started jogging around 245lbs. I'm 23, so i know I have age on my side to improve. Today I did 3 miles in 26 minutes 24 (8:52 pace, middle mile run at 7:58 pace). Every time I go running I go longer, faster or both, and today was my first 3 mile run, and first sub 9 minute mile (faster by 55 seconds per mile).

My main questions are:

1. Is this rate of progression normal? As even with a 4 month break from running due to no space in my schedule I still knocked 2 mins per mile off. When shall I expect it to tail off, as as I lose weight (90lbs to go) I'm expecting to go faster?

2. What is my best plan of action? I work Saturday and Sunday so registering for a 5k or 10k is quite hard to gauge as it means time off work, so I've not even done a RfL this year.

3. If I were to enter races for next year, what kind of race times can I expect to aim for for someone of my age/weight situation? Obviously I'm looking to shift the lbs, but they're slow coming off and I've lost 56lbs in a year, so I'll still be on the large side.

Advice from any background is welcome, but can you give detail of where your coming from? I value all advice, but a lived obese runners story would be fab, all other runners I know near my size are still nearer my walking pace than my running pace, so I struggle to find advice.

Edit just to say I can't afford a gym membership and don't own a treadmill. I live in a teensy flat so at home workouts dont exist, but I do have a basic exercise bike.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and I never ran until my BMI was already around 20, so I've not got the lived experience you want, but as new runner I would wary of pushing yourself to always go longer or faster or both. The majority of your running time should be at a comfortable pace where you could speak aloud without gasping, and you shouldn't be upping your mileage drastically each week. In terms of building up to a 5 or 10K race, slow and steady increase in intensity or duration is the way to go to avoid injury. Trying to keep up your current rate of improvement sounds risky (although you're obviously working very hard, so I don't mean to rain on your parade too much!).
  • frazerkate_sw
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I'm not an expert and I never ran until my BMI was already around 20, so I've not got the lived experience you want, but as new runner I would wary of pushing yourself to always go longer or faster or both. The majority of your running time should be at a comfortable pace where you could speak aloud without gasping, and you shouldn't be upping your mileage drastically each week. In terms of building up to a 5 or 10K race, slow and steady increase in intensity or duration is the way to go to avoid injury. Trying to keep up your current rate of improvement sounds risky (although you're obviously working very hard, so I don't mean to rain on your parade too much!).

If I'm honest, I'm not trying to go faster/further each time. Today was accidental for distance (I thought I was doing 2 miles but completely miscalculated as I'd been advised to change my route for safety reasons), I stopped as I normally run at night and today did around 10.30 and the sun surprised me and I'm conscious of overheating.

I'm not out of breath when I'm running either, I use the chatting rule as I remember learning that in x country at school, and I could hold a conversation if I could concentrate on doing both things at once. The pace was basically just what I did, and I felt slow but cos it was early I wanted to hold back as I needed to run errands in town and help a friend at an exhibition. I was basically aiming to tick the box of a run today by doing 2 miles in 18 minutes.

My next run I'm gonna just go back to my original 1.4 mile route round the estate.

I do walk long distances (6 miles each way to a client is a standard one that doesn't tire me at a 15 min mile pace) so I know this will have led to the increase in performance, and I don't get tired out from the walking.

And I do value your feedback regardless of BMI! It's just so hard to find anything relevant for my weight. I really enjoy the running, but obviously the constant vast increase in pace, recently without trying, is a tad concerning and I have literally no idea what to think anymore?
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job getting out there and running! I was wondering how you are recording your distances and pace? I am no expert and have been running since March and I am still trying to break 10 min miles.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Great job! You probably will see a few seconds drop per mile as you lose weight, but don't worry if you don't plateau in terms of speed. Speed, like weight loss, isn't linear.

Having said that, your times are great for a relative newbie! I would keep it up, and just be careful about adding too much mileage too fast. A good rule of thumb is 10% increase per week. I wouldn't begin to guess what your race times will be in the future, but if you google "McMillan running calculator" there's a calculator out there that takes your times and extrapolates your pace for longer distances.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for evening races...I've seen/run 5ks on random weekday evenings.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    wennim wrote: »
    Great job getting out there and running! I was wondering how you are recording your distances and pace? I am no expert and have been running since March and I am still trying to break 10 min miles.

I'm a snail. I've been running on and off for over 2 years, regularly since March, and I am just now hitting 12 minute miles. LOL

OP, you are doing incredible as far as I am concerned!

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    wennim wrote: »

I'm a snail. I've been running on and off for over 2 years, regularly since March, and I am just now hitting 12 minute miles. LOL

OP, you are doing incredible as far as I am concerned!

Me too!

• frazerkate_sw
    Options
    General consensus is to enjoy the fact that I'm fit then? Thanks for your comments! I'm just accepting that I'm an anomaly and I've been given some training advice from a fellow runner that wkll hopefully help me build up to some longer, stronger runs by spring.

@wennim I use the GPS tracker on my fitbit as it automatically syncs to everything nicely. I used to use RunKeeper though and found that really good. I find seeing the data on screen at the end of a run really motivates me.

• wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Were the numbers similar between the two? When I first started running I was running one app and thought I was doing great (10 min miles and 3-4 mile distances) so I signed up for a 5K thinking that would be a breeze. Unfortunately once I ran on an actual measured course I was really disappointed. The app told me I ran a little over 5.5 miles (a 5k is roughly 3.1 miles I believe). So my pace wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was. After that I tried several different apps and so far Nike run is the most accurate as far as distances go. I was really surprised to see how much the distances where different by. I ran the same measured 5 k course with 6 different apps and got six different distances- some off by as much as two miles. I did like the one app that told me I had a 7 min mile pace though.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    3 miles in 26 minutes? Wow. You're fast! I started running 6 months ago and just managed 32 minutes running my first 5k race, and normally I run it in about 35+ minutes. I'm also half your size (5'1" / 105lbs).

I'd say keep on doing what you're doing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I suggest work on form, core strength, stretches, and injury prevention while keeping that amazing pace.

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/

Look for some races that work with your schedule. http://www.runningroom.com/hm/

There are core exercises you can do with a simple rubber band.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. I started running last winter when walking got easy. I didn't start running until I was under 200 lbs, for fear of injury. I'm in my fifties and I run like a turtle. A happy turtle.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hello OP! I've never been obese, but I was a bit overweight when I started running (maybe 165lb but I'm quite short) and like you, I didn't find it hard, so didn't need to do a C25k programme or anything like that. I wasn't running to lose weight, but after I did (around 40lbs) I became reasonably good at it. So from my point of view, I'd say: don't expect any more HUGE leaps in pace (like 55 secs per mile faster) because that's pretty rare but also counterproductive. Even if you've got good CV fitness, which it sounds like you have, your joints and bones will take a while to catch up with the effect of the impact, especially at a higher weight. Also, 8:40 per mile is a pace I still sometimes run even though I *could* run 3 miles in under 18 minutes. So just keep it easy, and if you want to progress, it's probably best to add in an extra run per week initially, then maybe extend the distance of one of your runs slightly, all while keeping the pace really easy. As far as races are concerned, I wouldn't worry about times just yet. Wait till you've got the chance to enter one then just do your best and that will give you a benchmark.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS: I meant to say, since you're already taking to running pretty naturally, you will find that once you've lost the 90lbs you'll be able to win stuff, which will be a pretty awesome feeling. :)
  • mmarinah
    mmarinah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your three miles! I too am heavier than I want to be, and for the past 25 years, (after elementary cross country), I have swore up and down, I am NOT a runner... Well, I also started a slow baby steps to 5k running program and became addicted, and now say to people I LOVE running and I am a runner... Thank you for your inspirational story! We have done 5k's as a family, but more than anything, I love how I feel when I run.. I love the site, www.runlocator.com, as well as, www.runningintheusa.com. I also got my gait analyzed, at a real store, I went to Fleet Feet, which is a chain, and with that information, was able to find the right shoes online at a lower or comparable price.. It was pricey and time consuming to get the right shoes, (I changed them out three times), but totally worth it.. I also read up on runnersworld.com every now and then about how much should I push myself to go further etc, they have a lot of information... Good luck to you and your future health! Friend me, so we can motivate each other!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are amazing! Keep it up, is all I can say!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started running 105 pounds over weight at 255 and was 53 at the time (last September). I had been a runner before and was confident I could do it again. I was right, and I'm sure glad I started again now down 80 pounds and running longer and faster than I could have imagined when I started.

Your sub 9 minute pace is !great! and is an indication you already have a decent level of fitness and probably some natural ability and age working for you. Total congrats for taking the plunge and getting out there.

But... there's a little but to pass on...

Many new runners or worse, returning runners (guilty) start out running too fast. It's longer and slower runs that allow our bodies to react to the stresses of running and build endurance. Longer slower runs will do that for you while at the same time reducing risk by a) reducing the time to recover between runs and b) encouraging shorter strides as many new runners tend to run too fast and over stride which can lead to injuries.

You may already be running at a pace that is appropriate for you, but it might just be that you are like so many of us when we start out and are running too fast for your current stage of development. No problem if so! It's always easier to slow down if necessary.

Here's an easy way to test your training pace out: try talking out loud in complete sentences while you run. If you soon find yourself gasping for breath, then you are running too fast and need to slow it down until you can run and talk. Speed can come later once you've built a solid base.

If you aren't running with a partner, or a dog, people will stare while you perform this test. Tell them you are a scientist conducting an experiment. :smile:

If the test suggests you should slow down some, don't despair. You will become faster, in a sustainable manner, by making 100% of your running in the early stages of your running development at your slower conversational training pace.

Meanwhile, congrats on your achievement! You might consider joining the monthly Running Challenge thread. Lots of welcoming and helpful folks hang out there each month, encouraging each other on.

Have fun out there!

Mike
    Vancouver BC
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have nothing productive to say other than- 3 miles in 26 minutes is amazing! *clap*
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm in awe and a bit jealous of your speed as I am a turtle. I run laps in my own community, there are days I pass the same people 5 or 6 times and they tend to comment as if I might be slightly crazy but it keeps me safe and avoids excess traffic. On other days I need to break loose and just comletely wander so my suggestion is even if you have to drive a few minutes to be safe and secure do it, you won't regret it.

As for the 5k's, I'm not sure where you are but I find many US capital cities are now doing 5k's on weeknights, many start at 5:30-6pm trying to catch people after work. You might also check with a local running shoe store there may be a running group you could hook up with, many of them run several nights a week and they have different levels of runners.

You're doing wonderful though, to be sub 10 now you are going to be nothing but a blip as you zip by this turtle. Stay safe and good luck finding your comfort zone.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First of all, you can expect to knock off about 2 seconds per mile for each pound you lose. That's a general rule of thumb and not an exactness but good to keep in mind.

Secondly, 80% - 90% of your running should be at an easy relaxed pace that you can still carry on conversations during.

Lastly. Don't add more than 10% per week on speed or distance. Too much too soon and you're more likely to get an injury.

Have fun.

ETA: I weigh about the same as you do.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok, so I'm 231.5lbs now, but started jogging around 245lbs. I'm 23, so i know I have age on my side to improve. Today I did 3 miles in 26 minutes 24 (8:52 pace, middle mile run at 7:58 pace). Every time I go running I go longer, faster or both, and today was my first 3 mile run, and first sub 9 minute mile (faster by 55 seconds per mile).

My main questions are:

1. Is this rate of progression normal? As even with a 4 month break from running due to no space in my schedule I still knocked 2 mins per mile off. When shall I expect it to tail off, as as I lose weight (90lbs to go) I'm expecting to go faster?

I see a combination of things. For starters, as Waffle suggested you will get faster as more weight comes off.
    Also, when you take a break, we don't lose much in the physical progress we make so quick (muscle, bones, joints, tendon, ect), but we do lose a lot in cardiovascular (the breathing part) very quickly, but we also get it back quickly. It seems that you have a good base (you said you used to run XC) and underneath the weight you gained, you have a relatively strong body for running. But the time off has made your breathing performace go down. Usually in most running beginners, we see people being limited by their physical body, and their cardio-vascular being limited in improvement by having very underdeveloped physical bodies. But for you, it appears to be the opposite. So we would see a quicker improvement compared to most "beginners".

2. What is my best plan of action? I work Saturday and Sunday so registering for a 5k or 10k is quite hard to gauge as it means time off work, so I've not even done a RfL this year.

I can see how this can be tough since most races are on the weekends. There are other ways to make running more enjoyable and get the accountability you need, such as join a running group (whether irl or virtual). be on the lookout for races that occur on other days. For example, the biggest race in Huntsville, AL is actually on Memorial Day (a Monday). That's the Cotton Row Run 5K and 10K. They may be rare, but they do happen.

3. If I were to enter races for next year, what kind of race times can I expect to aim for for someone of my age/weight situation? Obviously I'm looking to shift the lbs, but they're slow coming off and I've lost 56lbs in a year, so I'll still be on the large side.

This is hard to say and I am not sure anyone can give an exact time to shoot for. Especially since you won't be able to see a quicker progression by entering races as often as you would like. You may have to go by other factors such as HR for certain type of workouts that you currently do now with a correlated pace and then try and see if you can use it in a race predictor program.

Advice from any background is welcome, but can you give detail of where your coming from? I value all advice, but a lived obese runners story would be fab, all other runners I know near my size are still nearer my walking pace than my running pace, so I struggle to find advice.

Edit just to say I can't afford a gym membership and don't own a treadmill. I live in a teensy flat so at home workouts dont exist, but I do have a basic exercise bike.

My story is detailed in my profile, but basics are: I started seriously running in Oct 2013. Even though i was an athlete in HS (football and wrestling) and even a little in college, but after college I really didn't do much. Eventually I started to get really out of shape and gain weight over the years with some intermitten sucess with activities. I am 44 now. In October 2013 when I started a training program that I actually stuck with, I lost about 45 pounds in about 4 months. Running was a big part of that. I ran 10K's, half marathons, and already have a full marathon under my belt and working on marathon #2 this December. I read a lot about running and listened to a lot of great folks actually on the MFP Long Distance Runners group. Because of that experience and knowledge, I was able to develop my own custom marathon training plan good enough to get a 3:50:26 at my very first marathon (Rocket City Marathon in December 2014). I am hoping to maybe get a ~3:25:00 this next time around.

I pretty much stopped running on the treadmill in February 2014 (except a handful of times when the weather was too bad). I mostly run outside. I started with a phone app (runtastic) then got a Garmin ForeRunner 10 watch, then upgraded to a FR-220.

My suggestion (what i normally suggest) more miles at that continued conversational pace you say you are at. As Waffle is saying increase by no more than 10%. I would add, that as you increase mileage, 100% should be conversational (unless you do a weekly fartlek or add strides). But doing tempos or threshold workouts or even interval type of workouts should be done once you reach a good base weekly mileage. If you plan to do 5K's and maybe 10K's, this should be at least 30 miles a week. HM's, you need to build it up to 40 mpw with a 13 mile LR.

I would suggest a long run each week lasting about 90 minutes. This will stimulate fat burning and teach your body to develop more of the enzymes that will break down fat for fuel.