You'll never guess what I use instead of bread...

Options
greymouse
greymouse Posts: 31 Member
edited September 2015 in Recipes
So... I really wanted eggs for breakfast and still wanted that 'bread crunch' to go with it. I love my crunch! I'm not trying to cut carbs out, just looking at ways to reduce the amount of bread I eat, so had a crazy idea. Zucchini!
Now don't screw up your nose, lemme explain... It's crunchy, savory, and when grilled or lightly fried adds a yummy, smokiness flavour to whatever you're eating. If you're interested, try this new 'healthy green crunch' recipe out. Approx. 350 calories per serve and around 5 minutes to make.

Tasty cheesy omelette on crunchy 'green bread'
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/8 cup grated cheese (cheddar/mozarella/tasty or packet 'pizza' mix works well)
- 1/8 onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup spinach (sliced/chopped)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil (no need for this if using non-stick frypan)
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper (or normal black pepper will do) - lemon pepper is awesome secret ingredient, makes everything tasty! :)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)

Whisk eggs, salt, pepper and chilli. Put aside. Warm your plate in microwave for 1 minute on high. Cut zucchini into slices long ways, about .5cm thick. Dry fry the zucchini in hot pan until golden (about 1 minute each side, still crunchy on inside). Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and place on your warm plate. Add olive oil to still warm pan, turn heat to low, chuck in the onion and cook for about a minute, spread onion around pan as even as possible, then pour in eggs mixture. Doesn't matter if it not reach the edges. Let this cook for about a minute, then on one half of the wet egg mix sprinkle the cheese, and add the chopped spinach on top of that. Cook for about one more minute then fold the side without the toppings onto the side with toppings - like you're making a lid/cover. A tip to make this easy is to tip the frypan towards you a little to let any still-wet egg mixture run into the bottom. Fold over top, cook for about one more minute then fold over again (now it should be kind of rectangle shaped). Cook one more minute, or if you like it cooked through really thoroughly, turn it one more time. Tip, if in doubt stick a knife in the middle, if it oozes egg mixture it probably needs a little bit longer. To serve place the omelette on the zucchini 'bread', and add a sprinkle of parsley if you like.

You'll notice the zucchini gives you the crunch, a bit of extra flavour and you won't feel like you're missing out on crunch at all :)

You can also crumble fetta, fresh chopped tomatoes and/or chopped ham on top if you want to bulk it up a bit more. To reduce the serving size, just take away one egg and reduce the cheese and spinach and seasoning accordingly.

Hope you enjoy! Any questions at all just ask, I'm just starting to put my recipes up so any more tips, ideas, friends and motivation and support greatly appreciated. I love my food, so getting healthy and living life means trying new things, and still living a tasty life :) Good luck with your goals too :) xx

Replies

• jasminely
    jasminely Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • brandiandcrew
    brandiandcrew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm all for trying to make something healthier...but zucchini does not have the same texture as bread. The crunch of a vegetable (any vegetable) is not the same as the crunch or chewiness of bread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to just throw the eggshells in for crunch? I kid. I'd eat this for sure...............but then again I'd eat it with white rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • greymouse
    Options
    I'm all for trying to make something healthier...but zucchini does not have the same texture as bread. The crunch of a vegetable (any vegetable) is not the same as the crunch or chewiness of bread.

True, it's not the same crunchy-chew as bread, but my hope is that the omelette is so yummy that I'm distracted by that, and the crunch and smokyness of the zucchini is good.

I tried another option for the base, where I shredded some cauliflower, combined with egg and tasty cheese to make a patti. This was delicious and might make a good substitute. It also makes a great pizza base as is more chewy.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What you did is a pretty common recipe where I live, it is basically a zucchini frittata :) You can just add the onions and zucchini together from the beginning and after a couple of minutes add the eggs, to speed things up, it works just fine. Also try adding a hint of mint or thyme in there, it works really well. Oh, and if you want also meat in there, add some thin sausage slices with the zucchini (italian sausage, not vienna).
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love the zucchini pizza crusts, so much more filling than bread crusts and gives it a sweet tangy flavor... also no bloating and less calories to boot! As good as the zucchini is with tomato sauce on it.. I'm tempted to try a lasagna type meal sans noodles. Hmmm.
  • kmoyes9
    kmoyes9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wb7rvvdjzg08.jpg
    Eating this NOW!!!
    Awesome !!
  • sing1998
    sing1998 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just tried this! absolutely delicious and satisfying. thank you!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love zucchini for breakfast. I sautee mushrooms, peppers, onion, zucchini. Toss in diced tomato after veggies are cooked. Top with egg fried in nonstick skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Egg yolk drains over sauteed veggies. Yum!

Your recipe sounds great!
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi greymouse,

Excellent recipe! I'd use hard cheeses since they're healthier. Thanks!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Still trying to like zucchini (in something other than baked goods) ......failing

Smokey huh? Not even grilled zucchini were smokey to me.....but I do like most other veggies
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    YUMM this sounds delicious, thanks for sharing
  • BrendaSKoso
    BrendaSKoso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Zucchini and eggs are wonderful together. I peel and cube zucchini & sauté with onions & green peppers in olive oil in a large pan. Lower the heat, pour in a dozen eggs beaten with a little water and seasonings, cover and let set. Turn the burner off and sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover a minute longer. Serve with homemade low sodium salsa. My young sons eat this! It's healthy and delicious for the whole family...or you can refrigerate the leftovers in serving size portions for quick easy meals later on.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Zucchini and eggs are wonderful together. I peel and cube zucchini & sauté with onions & green peppers in olive oil in a large pan. Lower the heat, pour in a dozen eggs beaten with a little water and seasonings, cover and let set. Turn the burner off and sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover a minute longer. Serve with homemade low sodium salsa. My young sons eat this! It's healthy and delicious for the whole family...or you can refrigerate the leftovers in serving size portions for quick easy meals later on.

Ok - this looks worth a try. I love peppers & salsa!
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are recipes for making cauliflower into "bread". Fairly easy, just throw ingredients in the blender, then roll out on a pan and bake for 10 ish minutes until dried then, voila, bread. Good for pizza crust too if you crave the naughty without desiring the excess calories.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options

This.I use less eggs & add mushrooms. It's quick,healthy & yummy.Can be baked without mushrooms,adding bacon bits in cupcake pan. Easy to freeze & heat in microwave.Try skinny taste for great recipes....just Google.
  • greymouse
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What you did is a pretty common recipe where I live, it is basically a zucchini frittata :) You can just add the onions and zucchini together from the beginning and after a couple of minutes add the eggs, to speed things up, it works just fine. Also try adding a hint of mint or thyme in there, it works really well. Oh, and if you want also meat in there, add some thin sausage slices with the zucchini (italian sausage, not vienna).

Great idea to make it even easier, I'm all for that! :):)
  • greymouse
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    I love the zucchini pizza crusts, so much more filling than bread crusts and gives it a sweet tangy flavor... also no bloating and less calories to boot! As good as the zucchini is with tomato sauce on it.. I'm tempted to try a lasagna type meal sans noodles. Hmmm.

Yes, cool idea to use the zucchini as your "pasta" layers for the lasagne. I might just try that myself! :)
  • greymouse
    Options
    kmoyes9 wrote: »
    wb7rvvdjzg08.jpg
    Eating this NOW!!!
    Awesome !!

So awesome to see your picture, yum!