TDEE and activity level question....

Options
Hi,
When figuring out the activity level does it mean how many days one exercises including weight training or is it cardio? Moderately active says moderate exercise 3-5 days a week....if The training is 30 minutes of weights 3 x a week and cardio 2x would that be lightly active? (1-3 days a week) a bit confused here. TIA!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The calculators are all based on average's.

I work out 4 times a week (20 mins of cardio, 20 mins of weight training) but as I have a sedentary full time job, I set mine to 'lightly active'.

I'd suggest getting a fitbit if you can - A lot of calculators put my TDEE at around 2000 when in fact, it's morelike 1800 based on my movement throughout the day :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lightly active sounds about right for you.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    im the same - i have a part time desk job - and i do body combat 4 times a week - i always set mine to lightly active
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I work out 4 times a week (20 mins of cardio, 20 mins of weight training) but as I have a sedentary full time job, I set mine to 'lightly active'.

I'd suggest getting a fitbit if you can - A lot of calculators put my TDEE at around 2000 when in fact, it's morelike 1800 based on my movement throughout the day :)
    It's more like 1900 based on your intake and weight loss.

OP, weightlifting burns far fewer calories than you think or hope. I think it's easier to pick a lower activity setting and adjust from there, rather than picking one that's two high such that it includes too many calories. Plus, the categories are very broad and not as useful as your individual results.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

It's more like 1900 based on your intake and weight loss.

OP, weightlifting burns far fewer calories than you think or hope. I think it's easier to pick a lower activity setting and adjust from there, rather than picking one that's two high such that it includes too many calories. Plus, the categories are very broad and not as useful as your individual results.

Even better then! More food for me :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lightly active, UNLESS you have an activity tracker, in which case sedentary, with negative calorie adjustments enabled.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When figuring out the activity level does it mean how many days one exercises including weight training or is it cardio?

Another option is to set your activity level to what you burn if you go about your business and don't get any intentional, planned exercise. Sedentary or lightly active would cover most people. Then, log your exercise. But, if you've been exercising regularly for awhile and are confident you are going to continue, then it might be more convenient to not log each and exercise routine and instead increase your base activity level to reflect the that same level of daily calorie burn. What you don't want to do is set your activity level high based on exercise, and then also log your exercise.

I use my average number of daily steps from the previous two weeks to determine where my activity level should be set for the upcoming week. (I don't use my pedometer during exercise.) So, there has to be a sustained increase in activity before I'll increase my calorie level.

Then, each night I log in half of my estimated calories burned from any exercise, which pretty much only ever consists of weight lifting and cycling. Activities like tennis or hiking contribute to my activity level on the pedometer and so I do not count them as exercise.

Actually, I actually log the earned exercise calories towards the following day. I typically exercise in the evening and not consistently. So, when I do, I would have to eat the calories back before bed, and eating too much before bed is something I'm trying to avoid. Putting the exercise calories toward the next day allows me to plan how I'll use them, and that feels more like a reward. Also, unless the exercise is truly predictable, logging evening exercise for the same day promotes using exercise to compensate for unplanned (over) eating earlier in the day. With my approach, logging them for the next day, I have to accept that today "is what it is" and the reward for exercise will come tomorrow.
  • highlanderthedog
    highlanderthedog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I wear a Fitbit and am on my feet all day as an elementary teacher....never sit down except a quick lunch. I usually hit 10,000+per day between work and exercise. The weekends are a different story! Should I set myself as sedentary on MFP and enable negative calorie adjustment? (Not sure how to go about that). Right now MFP gives me extra calories based on how active I am with the Fitbit. I think I may eating too much or going over my calories when I have a treat meal on the weekend. I am consuming 1500 calories , age 45, 5'1". MFP set me at 1200 but I think that is too low. Thanks again for the help!
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    1,200 is far too low for your activity level. That's bikini comp prep numbers. If you are looking to drop fat, try bodyweight in lb X 12 for your calorie limit (don't know if your tracking macros also). Hit that for a week and if you drop more than 0.5-1% of your original weight, add another 100cals for the next week, if you lose around 0.5-1% that week, keep it the same. Continually *kitten* and readjust. Also, don't solely go by scale weight, if the scales have not moved but you feel leaner and clothes for differently, that is progress. Probably better to take a weekly average weight (especially for women). A nice sustainable loss is what you are after.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1,200 is far too low for your activity level. That's bikini comp prep numbers. If you are looking to drop fat, try bodyweight in lb X 12 for your calorie limit (don't know if your tracking macros also). Hit that for a week and if you drop more than 0.5-1% of your original weight, add another 100cals for the next week, if you lose around 0.5-1% that week, keep it the same. Continually *kitten* and readjust. Also, don't solely go by scale weight, if the scales have not moved but you feel leaner and clothes for differently, that is progress. Probably better to take a weekly average weight (especially for women). A nice sustainable loss is what you are after.
    Is that your GOAL body weight or your current body weight?
  • highlanderthedog
    Options
    My body weight x12 would give me a limit of 1500 calories which is what the TDEE calculator had me at with being moderately active 3-5 days a week. My concern is that with the weight training it doesn't burn as many calories so I should increase cardio although everything I've read says to focus more on weights and not so much on cardio. I am starting to track macros and go for 35%c,35% p and 30 f. Does that sound right or should I increase protein? Thanks again for the help. Truly appreciate it.
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Current bodyweight. As I'm sure has already been mentioned above (I haven't read all the comments) every calculator is an estimate. Bw in lb X 12 will generally create a deficit for the majority of people, it will probably need adjusted. Bw in lb X 14 would be an estimate for maintenance. Just need to make sure you get the appropriate macronutrient intake to support your activity levels, within those calorie limits
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    My body weight x12 would give me a limit of 1500 calories which is what the TDEE calculator had me at with being moderately active 3-5 days a week. My concern is that with the weight training it doesn't burn as many calories so I should increase cardio although everything I've read says to focus more on weights and not so much on cardio. I am starting to track macros and go for 35%c,35% p and 30 f. Does that sound right or should I increase protein? Thanks again for the help. Truly appreciate it.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the energy expended via training. I would solely focus on your energy intake and what the feedback is from visual progress, measurements and scale weight. As long as you are consistent in terms of diet and training you will get feedback from either static weight/weight loss/weight gain and you can adjust accordingly. I wouldn't go by % either, it can be misleading in terms of macros. Going by grams is more accurate. For your activity levels I would probably have you at 85g PRO/204 CHO/43g Fat which is 1,543kcals. Try that for a week and see how you feel, sleep, perform in and out the gym and also the feedback from the scales etc. Lose more than 0.8kg in the first week or so, add 100kcals and wait a week or so and reassess again ;)
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Current bodyweight. As I'm sure has already been mentioned above (I haven't read all the comments) every calculator is an estimate. Bw in lb X 12 will generally create a deficit for the majority of people, it will probably need adjusted. Bw in lb X 14 would be an estimate for maintenance. Just need to make sure you get the appropriate macronutrient intake to support your activity levels, within those calorie limits

Are you assuming sedentary? Just asking because I would lose a pound a week at x14 and I only do purposeful exercise for about three hours a week - two days of strength training 40 min/20 min cardio and one hour of yoga a week. I fully realize this is because my job is active, but some of the people reading this advice may not.

This assumes some exercise included. As I said, this and all other calculators are estimates that will need adjusted for the individual, dependant on training load and general activity levels. I would always try to find maintenance first then commence dieting from there. But everyone wants results quick so as long as the loss is sustainable and adjustments are made, x12 won't be Farr off. This is Lyle McDonalds method
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The 12x formula is really, really off for some people. For instance, at my starting weight, 12x would've given me about 100 calories *over* maintenance. It would've been more accurate midway through my weight loss, but close to my goal weight it would've dropped my calories too low. And as for maintenance, at my current weight, 14x gives me about 150 calories *under* maintenance.

Better to just use either MFP's calculator, or a TDEE calculator. Those things take your height, weight, age and activity level into consideration, which a ballpark number like 12x or 14x can't do.

Like everyone's said, all these numbers are only estimates. The only way to know for sure is to try it for a while and compare real-world results. Get your tracking and logging as accurate as possible (most people overestimate their burns and underestimate their food intake) and then give it a try for 6-8 weeks and see if you're losing at the desired rate. If so, great. If not, adjust.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    The 12x formula is really, really off for some people. For instance, at my starting weight, 12x would've given me about 100 calories *over* maintenance. It would've been more accurate midway through my weight loss, but close to my goal weight it would've dropped my calories too low. And as for maintenance, at my current weight, 14x gives me about 150 calories *under* maintenance.

Better to just use either MFP's calculator, or a TDEE calculator. Those things take your height, weight, age and activity level into consideration, which a ballpark number like 12x or 14x can't do.

Like everyone's said, all these numbers are only estimates. The only way to know for sure is to try it for a while and compare real-world results. Get your tracking and logging as accurate as possible (most people overestimate their burns and underestimate their food intake) and then give it a try for 6-8 weeks and see if you're losing at the desired rate. If so, great. If not, adjust.

Agreed, body weight times 12 would put me way over maintenance. 204lbs x 12 is more than 2400 a day! I'm sedentary so I'm barely losing on 1500-1600. Be careful lurkers!
  • Winter_Girl92
    Winter_Girl92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think the body weight ×12 would work for me either. That would have my calories at roughly 2800 when most say my maintenance calories are 2300. So i would be 500 calories over what most calculations give me.
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    Yeah I don't think the body weight ×12 would work for me either. That would have my calories at roughly 2800 when most say my maintenance calories are 2300. So i would be 500 calories over what most calculations give me.

Have you tried to Find your maintenance via trial and energy with energy intake at all? Using a macronutrient split? Only track calories?
  • highlanderthedog
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Such a helpful and informative group!