Macros..calories...please can someone help!

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can shed some light as I am mega confused!

Ive decided to eat 1500 calories to lose weight and going to go for 45%(protein) 35%(carbs) 20%(fats). so thats 169g protein, 131g carbs and 33g fat.

so I am guessing 169g protein is not the weighed amount..its the actual protein in the food...so using my fitnesspal - 620g (weighed chicken breast) is 170g of actual protein and thats 1200 calories!!!!!

Everywhere online says 4 calories per gram of protein...so that should be 680 calories?

I think I am getting really confused and prob misunderstanding something! please please can someone help!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    If your goal is to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the individual macro's at this point. Concentrate on eating at a calorie deficit and getting the hang of tracking those before you start introducing macro counting. Did you 'decide' to eat at 1500 or did you calculate it using MFP?

I've been counting calories and have lost 30 lbs - I haven't gone near the macro tracking yet as it's way, way too complicated for me right now and not needed to reach my goal.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    620g (weighed chicken breast) is 170g of actual protein and thats 1200 calories!!!!!

Everywhere online says 4 calories per gram of protein...so that should be 680 calories?

The thing is, chicken isn't 100% pure protein. It's got other fun stuff that makes up the 1200 calories.

That's why it's not adding up :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Your macro goals are unrealistic (I don't know how you have decided on your calorie goal). Start with for instance 25% protein, 35% fat and 40% carbs. And log what you eat in your food diary - if you log the correct amounts, the program will take care of the numbers for you.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    "Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw" is 900 calories for 750 grams, which gives 168.75 grams of protein. It also gives 19.65 grams of fat.

So, that would hit your protein target and 60% of your fat target and leave you 600 calories to meet the rest of your targets. You're going to be a little off because of rounding, but it's nowhere near as bad as you posted.
  • mariabunes123
    mariabunes123 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been doing the flexible dieting for 5 months now and lost 20 lb. I started with 135 gr of carbs, 60 gr. of fat and 180 gr. of protein. That is the actual weight of the food I'm consuming. I'm no expert on this subject at all. But the lady that has been coaching me is, and she told me that taking care of the macros will take care of the calories. I have done so many diets in my life and my body has been deprived of many important nutrients just because we live in a world that teach us that certain foods are bad for you. The reason why I LOVE doing this macro controlled "diet" is because it allows me to eat anything I want as long as it fits my macros. I have increased gradually the amount of carbs so now my numbers are: 155 gr. of carbs, 65 gr. of fat and 175 gr. of protein. This will continue to adjust. I have introduced a couple of "low days" where my numbers are a little different and in those days I also do a cardio workout. The thing is you have to make good choices for the most part but also are allowed to have a little bit of fun. I have never felt more satisfied in my life. I suggest to find someone that will advice you more on this, there is some help online about flexible dieting, macros and how to get started. Best of luck!
  • DeguelloTex
    Yes, taking care of the macros will take care of the calories because there is a fixed number of calories for each gram of the macros. Four for carbs and protein, nine for fat works pretty well.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    If your goal is to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the individual macro's at this point. Concentrate on eating at a calorie deficit and getting the hang of tracking those before you start introducing macro counting. Did you 'decide' to eat at 1500 or did you calculate it using MFP?

I've been counting calories and have lost 30 lbs - I haven't gone near the macro tracking yet as it's way, way too complicated for me right now and not needed to reach my goal.

Bang on the money!
    (I wish chicken breast were 100% protein but it is not.)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Those really high protein goals being pushed by personal trainers at gyms are mostly bro-science. Yes, more protein is good for you, especially if you're lifting weight while in a calorie deficit... but only to a point (which is often estimated at around 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass in your body). Beyond that point, most scientific studies agree that there's no real benefit, and in fact there's a downside in that your body needs carbs and fat too.
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    That is a really high protein goal...I started off trying to get 40% of my calories from protein and got my first kidney stone three months into the diet. I was told to reduce my protein intake. If course not everyone is susceptible to kidney issues, but I had no idea I was...I am now about 30% protein and have had no issues. Maybe try increasing your protein more gradually?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    "Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw" is 900 calories for 750 grams, which gives 168.75 grams of protein. It also gives 19.65 grams of fat.

So, that would hit your protein target and 60% of your fat target and leave you 600 calories to meet the rest of your targets. You're going to be a little off because of rounding, but it's nowhere near as bad as you posted.

Sheesh, this is why I don't eat much chicken breast. That's nearly 27 ounces of chicken! I'd be sick of chicken after one day. (Of course, there's days I don't meet my protein goals, too...) TWENTY SEVEN OUNCES OF CHICKEN.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    TWENTY SEVEN OUNCES OF CHICKEN.

dOtcCs1.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
  • DeguelloTex

Sheesh, this is why I don't eat much chicken breast. That's nearly 27 ounces of chicken! I'd be sick of chicken after one day. (Of course, there's days I don't meet my protein goals, too...) TWENTY SEVEN OUNCES OF CHICKEN.

I eat 15 pounds of it a week. That's pretty close to 27 ounces day.

• WBB55

I eat 15 pounds of it a week. That's pretty close to 27 ounces day.
    You are a man! And if I recall you're on the tall side. I'm a 5'6" woman :) I know there's lots of people that eat that much chicken. I just personally would get so sick of it, I wouldn't last a week. Since my gall bladder surgery, I can handle about 16 ounces of meat per day.

27 OUNCES OF CHICKEN!!
  • gettingfit1992
    gettingfit1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I will try to focus more on lowering my calories x
  • WBB55
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I will try to focus more on lowering my calories x
    Who said to lower your calories?

• gettingfit1992
    gettingfit1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Who said to lower your calories?

As in I should focus on a deficit rather than worrying about macros! Im going to aim for 1200 and 1400/1500 on workout days
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member

I agree, I'm doing the same