Caffeine for appetite control - too much?

Options
piheart
piheart Posts: 122 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Ever since starting MFP my caffeine habit has increased. I like drinking coffee throughout the morning at work and home because it keeps me from looking for the candy and pastries! However, this used to be a mere 8 oz cup or two in the morning, and now it has extended to *4-8 8 oz cups every day, consistently. Additionally, I now drink 32 oz of iced black tea in the afternoons.

Is this too much caffeine? Am I going to see any detrimental effects from this? Not too worried it's dangerous necessarily, but I am more interested in the personal habits of others concerning caffeine and appetite control. Thanks everybody! Snarky comments and remarks welcome (;

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think they generally recommend 400 mg a day of caffeine. So yeah, you are probably having a bit too much. Even if you are not feeling any side effects from it, I would try and check you blood pressure for a few days after you've had all of this caffeine. If that is not impacted, and you feel no other effects, than I say continue. I love my caffeine and drink copious amounts of it. But I tend to not react to stimulants.
  • piheart
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    I think they generally recommend 400 mg a day of caffeine. So yeah, you are probably having a bit too much. Even if you are not feeling any side effects from it, I would try and check you blood pressure for a few days after you've had all of this caffeine. If that is not impacted, and you feel no other effects, than I say continue. I love my caffeine and drink copious amounts of it. But I tend to not react to stimulants.

Thanks for your response! Checking blood pressure is a good idea. I only really notice sensitivity to caffeine if I have it after 5 - at night it can give me the jitters and difficulty sleeping, but no problems during the day. I will keep an eye on it, though.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I would not say caffeine controls my appetite. The flavor of coffee or tea in addition to the volume of water in it can suppress the urge to munch, but I wouldn't say the caffeine has any effect on its own (and I've taken just caffeine pills on occasion). Though, it does effect my energy level and brain concentration a little bit.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly1NjibK79U

3-5 8 oz serving of coffee seems to be the optimal amount. You're good.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I drink that much every day. My doctor seems to think that it is fine.

YMMV
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Caffeine will temporarily reduce appetite, but once it wears off and cortisol levels rise, appetite may actually be stimulated
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Caffeine will temporarily reduce appetite, but once it wears off and cortisol levels rise, appetite may actually be stimulated

Is there a link between caffeine intake and cortisol levels? I've never read up on or looked for info about this but would be interested in reading about it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee. I drink less than I used to but I can go until about noon, 1:00 before I eat with just two cups of coffee in the morning. I know that if I drink too much in the afternoon without eating, I get nauseous from hunger. I only know this because there have been days in the past where I have been so busy with work that I don't eat and just drink coffee and it gets to the point where if I take one more sip of it, I'll feel like I need to throw up. That's not a good way to feel and I truly don't recommend ever doing that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I control my appetite by eating a large amount of healthy food. It's low-cal, so I can fill up quite nicely. Plus, I get all those lovely vitamins and minerals.

Caffeine...I quit that stuff. I stopped many times and picked it back up before I quit for good, but caffeine is no longer a part of my life. I'm so glad. It was so hard, but I'm glad I finally quit that stuff.

The healthy eating and the exercising keeps my energetic enough, so I don't need the caffeine boost.

I'm not saying you should give it up if you don't want to do that! If you like it, keep drinking it. You asked about our experiences. That's mine.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Give me a cup of coffee and I start looking for biscuits ( cookies) to dip in it - really wouldn't work as an appetite suppressant for me.
    I have never understood my sister saying coffee fills her up for that reason.

If it works for you and you have no detrimental effects- carry on drinking.

As a side note, my SO drinks a lot of coffee and gets a headache if he goes without it for a day, not to discourage you just a side effect you may not know

Cheers, h.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    There is a (mild) physical addiction to caffeine. Caffeine withdrawal is a genuine thing.

The good news is that while 400 mg is the recommended limits, LD50 (what is found to kill 50% of people) is an absurdly high 127 mg per kg of body weight. I take in a ton of caffeine per day, on the order of 200-600 mg most days, and I do just fine. YMMV.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    To be honest Im the type of person that doesnt care for warnings and/or doctor recommendations until I'm in a hospital bed.
    Like I legit have an intolerance to caffeine and aspartame and yet here I am drinking diet soda and drinking 30+ ounces of coffee a day.
    And honestly, it does keep my sweet tooth in check. I will have coffee for breakfast then not eat until 1 pm.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think in my case it helps promote weight loss. Mine runs 10-25% Heavy Whipping Cream. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I need caffeine in the afternoon to quiet my sweet tooth and stress hunger at work. I have to stop every once in while because overtime it doesn't effect me the same way- I just get headaches and then want to go to sleep. I use caffeine right before I go to the gym, as well. My choice is Diet Coke but coffee hits the spot sometimes.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like coffee, but I don't drink a ton of it. I think my work mug holds about 20 fl oz, and I don't always finish it before the day ends. I'm not sure if it suppresses my appetite, I just like it.

I can easily drink a gallon of tea in a day. I DON'T (most days). But I can. It's my favorite way to ingest water, water being my second favorite way.

I'd say you are fine, unless you start having side effects, like heart palpitations. I've done that before. Not fun! :)
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my intake can sneak up. When I notice that it has I mix decaf grounds in with the regular to cut it. Do you work out? Caffeine can have performance enhancing effects. I know some who go decaf every 4th week to maintain the advantage or wean off before a big event so they can be super sensitive come race time
  • shannon4000
    shannon4000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use alot of caffeine including 5 hr energy shots. My doctor said as long as it is not causing my pulse to race or bp to go up. I am fine but everyone is diffrent.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I have actually found that drinking coffee (black, of course), increases my appetite. Not at first ... the first 2 or 3 cups are OK ... but if I go to a 4th cup, I start to get really hungry even if I have been eating what I usually eat.

I prefer to switch to a no-caffeine tea instead of a 4th cup of coffee.
  • piheart
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the input. It's interesting hearing about your individual experiences with coffee/caffeine. For me, it has always helped with my appetite, but I could see how that could go the opposite way for some. I definitely have noticed mild habit forming symptoms as well - pretty clear from the frequency of my use of caffeine.

@vgnfarmer I love the idea of decreasing my intake this way, thank you! Definitely buying some decaf beans to try this when it becomes an issue.