Need a low carb diet female buddy ..

Options
Dear all,

Today was my first day doing dr. Poon metaboilc diet which is basically low Carb,low-fat and low sodium diet. I need motivation to continue in this journey, I need to lose more than 90 pounds . I did it before and lost about 70 pounds but after my 4th baby I gained them and more back. If there is any female that might have the same goals and doing any kind of low Carb diet, please let me know. I'm a stubborn person when it comes to weightloss but sometimes I need motivation and strong push to keep it up. Please feel free to either add me or reply to thia post.

Thank you,

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Be happy to add you, but low carb and low fat together aren't a good idea for any length of time unless you actually are ordered to do so by a doctor with experience in weight loss (I think some bariatric patients get put on that type of diet). If your carbs are low your fat needs to go up, protein stays moderate. Otherwise you're probably going to feel pretty awful pretty quickly.

Also, search groups, several low carb/keto forums to join!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you lower your carbs and fats you will have to eat a lot of protein. I don't think this idea is sustainable over the long term because you will lose energy and fats are necessary for hormone production. .
  • KMHilinski
    KMHilinski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me..KMHILINSKI. I too need to lose like 80 pounds and I am starting a low carb eating plan. I do have fats though, I mainly eat a protein and veggies, some fruit...so I am not as strict as some, but I try to keep the carbs under 35 a day! It's a struggle, but I am determined to do it this time...have vacations at the beach coming up and more importantly. ..my health!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that low carb and low fat has a very low success rate. Most low carbers eat LCHF. This is the way I eat, although I am very LCHF. My carbs are at about 5% and usually 20 g per day. My protein is moderate and between 20-25% per day at about 85g. My fat is high at 70-75% or about 110g per day. The fat keeps me full, the protein is for organs, muscles and to make extra glucose, and the carbs are mostly for variety.

Also, when you cut your carbs you will lose a lot of water. With that, you will lose a LOT of salt and may need to double your salt intake, along with increase your potassium and magnesium. 3000-5000mg of salt per day is advised if carbs are cut low. If you don't hit that you may experience headaches, fatigue, and even nausea. I know I had the fatigue and headache for a few days before I upped my salt intake enough (by adding salt to water every day).

You're welcome to add me even though I am not eating high protein. I've been eating vLCHF for about 3 months and have lost almost 30lbs. I eat about 1500 calories per day, give or take 500 calories. My losses have slowed a bit now since I am getting closer to goal; about 1 lb per week now.

Check out the Low Carber Daily group for more people eating low carb. Good luck.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I second ALL of the above. Low carb + low fat = unsustainable in the long term. Now low carb + high fat is a completely different story. I'm a LCHF lifer so feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Finallyfit1976
    Finallyfit1976 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your great input. Actually it was my doctor who referred me to a dietetion to lose the excess weight since I need to lose about 90 pounds and I have family history in cancer, high blood pressure and high colestrol. My colestrol level is above average little bit but I don't want it to increase.
    My diet is about phases. Phase one is the most restricted one. Phase two where some fruits and carby veg are added to the diet. Phase 3 where bread and dairy and some other carbs are added to maintain a healthy life style and it is all under the supervision of my doctor.

Please continue supporting me. It is a so tough journey.

Thank you,
  • Elizabeth1515
    Elizabeth1515 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there I've just began my low carb lifestyle/diet . This is my second week. So feel free to message me and
    add me. I'll happily let you know how my first week went with food etc :)
  • blissalexandra
    blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree that low carb and low fat has a very low success rate. Most low carbers eat LCHF. This is the way I eat, although I am very LCHF. My carbs are at about 5% and usually 20 g per day. My protein is moderate and between 20-25% per day at about 85g. My fat is high at 70-75% or about 110g per day. The fat keeps me full, the protein is for organs, muscles and to make extra glucose, and the carbs are mostly for variety.

Also, when you cut your carbs you will lose a lot of water. With that, you will lose a LOT of salt and may need to double your salt intake, along with increase your potassium and magnesium. 3000-5000mg of salt per day is advised if carbs are cut low. If you don't hit that you may experience headaches, fatigue, and even nausea. I know I had the fatigue and headache for a few days before I upped my salt intake enough (by adding salt to water every day).

You're welcome to add me even though I am not eating high protein. I've been eating vLCHF for about 3 months and have lost almost 30lbs. I eat about 1500 calories per day, give or take 500 calories. My losses have slowed a bit now since I am getting closer to goal; about 1 lb per week now.

Check out the Low Carber Daily group for more people eating low carb. Good luck.

Some good information :-)
    So do you eat simply veggies & legumes etc & no startchy carbs ?
  • laurenlmalloy
    laurenlmalloy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dear all,

Today was my first day doing dr. Poon metaboilc diet which is basically low Carb,low-fat and low sodium diet. I need motivation to continue in this journey, I need to lose more than 90 pounds . I did it before and lost about 70 pounds but after my 4th baby I gained them and more back. If there is any female that might have the same goals and doing any kind of low Carb diet, please let me know. I'm a stubborn person when it comes to weightloss but sometimes I need motivation and strong push to keep it up. Please feel free to either add me or reply to thia post.

Thank you,

Feel free to add me! I do low carb to speed up weight loss. No bread, pasta, etc. Also no alcohol, soda, or sweets (sometimes I can't resist the sweets part!).
    So far I'm down to 164 from 178. BUT I was at 155 in July so I'm honestly slightly discouraged at this yo yo thing going on! Getting back on track now!
  • StephCarlaMcClure
    StephCarlaMcClure Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How are you making out? Are you still on the diet, did you make it to phase 2? I'm wondering as I've started a similar one and on phase 1.
  • Finallyfit1976
    Finallyfit1976 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How are you making out? Are you still on the diet, did you make it to phase 2? I'm wondering as I've started a similar one and on phase 1.

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. Actually, although I'm still following the diet but I'm not losing weight and this is happening for many reasons which I have just figured. One of them with eating low carb desserts about 4-5 times a day . I need to watch out my calories as well. I will start again today Wed March 16 . will try to stay for 2 weeks minimum without any sweets and let's see. R u still on this diet ?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP as well. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I just got back to MFP.... after a long, long, long pause. I try to stay on the lower end of carbs requirements and adjusted my MFP profile accordingly. However, unless I am doing a low carb "diet" like South beach, I have trouble staying within limits (bad habits, the cuisine in my country is delicious but mostly carbs + I am a vegetarian and vegetable sources of proteins are limited and I tend to favor convenience sometimes-unfortunately). But Dr' s orders (not more than 45 g per meal in average)....so I will keep trying- simply eating basically the same things (except for sweets) but favoring more vegetables and limiting to half a serving-1 serving of starches; fruits I save as snacks so the carbs are spread semi-evenly throughout the day and I reduce the glycemic spikes; I monitor sugars daily and give more importance to net carbs. When I hear u guys mentioning 50 or 20 g...brrrrr. Would looove to have pals with whom I can exchange ideas and general support though (not on daily basis, just who check in from time to time is all I ask... and can give). If anyone is interested in adding me as a pal, please do.