Does anyone take B12?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and the dr started me as a trial on pills, with a plan to recheck in a few weeks to see if shots are needed. It is my second week and the last 2 days I am suffering from a constant headache. Obviously the headache could be completely irrelevant, but I was trying to figure out if I had changed anything in my diet, habits etc the last days, and then thought of the B12. Has anyone ever experienced this? I will talk to the dr if this continuous or get worse.

Replies

• dmcbean
    dmcbean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking B12. I am not have any side effects. You should log your symptoms and report it to your doctor.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I take a B complex, and the only time I got headaches was when I ran out of it. I don't know if it was actually related.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i took a pill that was strictly b complex, i started sleep walking.
    i don't take it any more but my fiber gummies have some b vitamins in them. they don't give me a side effect at all.

no headache for me though
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    B12 is a water soluble vitamin. Your body doesn't store this vitamin easily. Any excess goes out with your urine. I doubt the headaches are from too much B12 in your body.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had low B12 and just had a shot. No side affects. I also started taking zipfizz every morning to try and bolster my B and B12 vitamins
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Common side effects of vitamin B12:
    Headache
    Itching
    Swelling
    Nervousness and anxiousness
    Involuntary or uncontrollable movements
    Serious side effects:
    Low levels of potassium in the blood
    Congestive heart failure
    Clots in the arms and legs
    Life-threatening allergic reaction called anaphylaxis, in which you may have trouble breathing, your tongue swells and/or throat closes up, and your skin breaks out into hives
    Fluid building up in the lungs

*Next time just google: side effects of too much B12.
    Look for sites like webmd or health.com (reputable sites).

Er, thanks. No more overdoing my B12!
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency and the dr started me as a trial on pills, with a plan to recheck in a few weeks to see if shots are needed. It is my second week and the last 2 days I am suffering from a constant headache. Obviously the headache could be completely irrelevant, but I was trying to figure out if I had changed anything in my diet, habits etc the last days, and then thought of the B12. Has anyone ever experienced this? I will talk to the dr if this continuous or get worse.

I take vitamin B12 every day when I take a multi vitamin. The link below will provide you with a run down of it and has a chart to tell you how much you need per day. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Vitamin B12
    U.S., National Library of Medicine
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002403.htm

• STCB7379
    STCB7379 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am B12 deficient and just recently found out. I am also just taking pills for now with a recheck scheduled. I have not had any side effects. I would think the side effects would be more for people who are taking it and don't need it. Most people have enough B12 stored in their liver to last a long time so it is sad to me when I see it advertised like a miracle energy supplement. I know this post is older but I hope you've done well on getting your levels up. Do they know what caused your deficiency?