Xbox one Kinect

Options
Hi!

I hate the gym workouts and i get so bored excersing unless im having fun.

I tried out a freinds kinect Just Dance the other day and after 30 minutes i was dripping with sweat yet i still wanted to carry on!

Does anybody have any success stories loseing weight using the kinect games? if so what games were used?

Thank you :smiley:

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The tech has really disappointed me. I thought by now it would be far more advanced. I'm guessing VR may be the next fitness thing, if that tech can get its act together. I love the concept, though. Can't say anything about Xbox One, don't own it, but had the original. So few games gave a good workout, virtually none tracked movement as well as needed to make the games enjoyable.

My advice: If you buy it for Just Dance, which you've already tried, great. But any other games you buy for it, check reviews before purchase, make sure it's a good workout and can track your movements well.

Edit to add: If your friend will let you, take the XBox to your house and set it up as you would set up the one you want to buy. Make sure it works with your space and lighting. Keep it 24 hours, in case lighting changes mess with it.
  • kellyfirmager
    kellyfirmager Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    The tech has really disappointed me. I thought by now it would be far more advanced. I'm guessing VR may be the next fitness thing, if that tech can get its act together. I love the concept, though. Can't say anything about Xbox One, don't own it, but had the original. So few games gave a good workout, virtually none tracked movement as well as needed to make the games enjoyable.

My advice: If you buy it for Just Dance, which you've already tried, great. But any other games you buy for it, check reviews before purchase, make sure it's a good workout and can track your movements well.

Edit to add: If your friend will let you, take the XBox to your house and set it up as you would set up the one you want to buy. Make sure it works with your space and lighting. Keep it 24 hours, in case lighting changes mess with it.

I agree! i had the old kinetic and i soon got rid of it after it was so weak picking up my movement.

The new one i think does pick up movement so much better and easier to work with.

I think i will test it at our house incase the living room isnt big enough or bright enough!

Thank you :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

I agree! i had the old kinetic and i soon got rid of it after it was so weak picking up my movement.

The new one i think does pick up movement so much better and easier to work with.

I think i will test it at our house incase the living room isnt big enough or bright enough!

Thank you :)

Glad to help. The workouts that did work for the first one were great fun, hopefully it will work well in your home space!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi this probably isnt too helpful bc I don't use xbox but it sounds fun and seemed like it was very cool more fun dance type games etc. But I have a wii. I really love my wiifit stuff. I tried the zumba but it kinda sucked for tracking I guess. But I love doing the hula hoop and some running and biking and even yoga and strength training or personalizing. I can set goals track progress even find out my mets and food stuff. Ithought of doing another exercise video with isomething. Golf burns alot and some other things like skate boarding work up a sweat too. I don't know if the xb1 does all that?
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have an Xbox One with a Kinect, and I love using it for being active and having fun at the same time. I play Dance Central, Disney Fantasia and Fruit Ninja Kinect 2; they all, in varying degrees, make me work to play them - Dance Central being the most intense. Xbox Fitness has been great for indoor workouts of a more standard variety (pilates, Zumba, HIIT, etc). The original Kinect did have issues tracking movement, but the second generation Kinect is much better at it. Just make sure you have no less than six feet of space between the Kinect and where you plan to workout.
  • kellyfirmager
    kellyfirmager Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I have an Xbox One with a Kinect, and I love using it for being active and having fun at the same time. I play Dance Central, Disney Fantasia and Fruit Ninja Kinect 2; they all, in varying degrees, make me work to play them - Dance Central being the most intense. Xbox Fitness has been great for indoor workouts of a more standard variety (pilates, Zumba, HIIT, etc). The original Kinect did have issues tracking movement, but the second generation Kinect is much better at it. Just make sure you have no less than six feet of space between the Kinect and where you plan to workout.

Thank you for that :) very helpful!
  • beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my xbox one Kinect w fitness app. I have almost all the Jillian Michael's stuff, and while it's a bit of a chunk of money, like $15-$80 depending on what programs/games you buy through the app, I love it. There's a few freebies on there too.

It's those achievement points, gold starts and silly little advancement cards that totally work on me. It has you compete against your own averages and bests - say, you were doing x-level in suicides yesterday, it pushes you to beat that number today. I don't play the other games like Dance, Fantasia and Fruit Ninja when I'm serious - those are with the kids, mostly because it doesn't track my numbers in the app like the fitness app games do. I like to see my progress, stats, whatever and it tries to track my heart rate/caloric burn as well...but I'm hooking up my MS band next week, to get more accurate numbers.

I love it. I killed my 24 hour fitness membership in favor of it.

HTH,
    B
  • beckyjopdx
    Options
    oh, and yeah - when I'm doing floor work, like crunches, it doesn't see me very well - that part is true. but I don't need my form checked so much when I'm doing sit-ups, you know? I care more about form when I'm doing kick boxing. so maybe I don't get all my gold stars, lol, but I get enough, and the Microsoft band will integrate the rest, so I'm golden.

FWIW, my man works in this stuff a lot, and we have a PS4, a WiiU and 3 xbox ones with Kinects..and I think there's other stuff around too :D The xbox is my favorite by far. granted, I'm no gamer, but for working out, it's my #1.
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A workout is a workout, no matter how you do it.
    I use the Wii right now, I have the 360 with Kinect but the Kinect with the 360 pisses me off lol.I've heard the one for Xbox one is so much better.
    So I'm saving for that one as I already have Xbox one.
    I love doing workouts with the Wii and Xbox when I can't make it to the gym because it's fun, and you're working out.
  • beckyjopdx
    Options
    oh, yeah, xbox one is way better. I have my MS band on and did a workout this morning, and there are calorie discrepancies as I suspected. The Kinect misses about ~100 calories - I assume all my floor work. Common sense would tell you that, though. I'm dripping sweat down my back and I only burned 250 calories?? Riiiight. What I need to figure out today is how to get my band to override the calorie number in my accounts instead of my Kinect/xbox account.

lol. for all the easier tech makes it...it can sure make more work too!