Do vegetables matter as far as portion control ?

Options
Do Green Beans Matter when it comes to portion control ?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Technically, they matter. Realistically, it would be really hard to eat enough green beans for their calories to be much of an issue.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    They have calories.
    Not all that many, so it's not that big of a deal if you're not accurately logging them but still.
  • Rtrtiff
    Rtrtiff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how you cook them. I would say measure the butter/oils and salts just to be safe
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yes. Of course. I'm also sceptical of people who eat huge volumes of low cal foods. I'm sure I read that continual over stretching of the stomach leads to less sensitivity to the hormonal signal for fullness - so in the end you always need huge volumes of food in order to feel full.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If green beans cause you to go over your calorie goals for the day, it will still impact your weight. All foods count, although some foods are much more dense in calories and can cause you to exceed your goals with smaller portions.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories. Just log it all and don't worry so much about "good" versus "bad" foods.

Having said that, very few people are overweight because they ate too many green beans. But I do find it helpful to see my calorie totals for the day, which includes everything I ate. It's also useful for me to track micronutrients like fibre, calcium and vitamin C, all of which green beans contain en masse.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Having said that, very few people are overweight because they ate too many green beans.

Though, as someone pointed out above, for someone like my mother-in-law who douses green beans with about a stick of butter (and yes, they are DELICIOUS!) it might be possible for them to have a significant impact on your calorie count.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My green beans rarely make it in from the garden because my daughter and I have a habit of eating them straight from the plant. If you're eating them raw without anything added, I think that it is safe to estimate (per the USDA, 10 4" beans are 17 calories.) If you're adding anything (butter, etc.) I'd measure everything and be more diligent about being exact.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, technically they matter, but realistically, I'm not sure that you could have enough of them that it would hurt aything unless they're made with a pound of butter or something. My mother used to put a strip of bacon in the pot.

Weight Watchers wants people to have 8 servings of veggies a day. As long as it's not a starchy vegetable, and something like lettuce, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini - the relatively healthy veggies, I don't usually count them on my food diary. I may make notes as to what veggies I had that day in the notes area, but that's about it.

One of the Weight Watcher leaders I knew (MANY years ago) teased about having "green-bean-itis" because at that time, she didn't like many other vegetables, so she got her 8 vegetable servings in of green beans every day. LOL
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Careful about mixing up the Weight Watchers and MFP methods.

Weight Watchers' points system is deliberately lower in calorie value than you need, because it leaves room for "free" fruits and veggies.

MFP's calorie goals have no such buffer. They assume you'll count everything. Fruits and veggies have calories.

If you combine methods, you could end up eating too much.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Every thing has calories! :)

I weigh my fruit and vegetable - much to my mum's amusement (she thinks I have serious issues) but I like being on point with my calories and I'm down to the last 8 lbs to lose, so tightening up the tracking and counting is vital for me right now. Having said that, I lost 30 lbs without measuring ANY of my portions before now, so a lot of it IS common sense. I'd say - vegetables you'll generally be okay with, but other foods such as cereal, pasta, rice, meat - weigh!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yeah, butter or bacon or, I suppose, salt pork can be a big issue. Actual green beans, not so much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Do Green Beans Matter when it comes to portion control ?

@JasFrancis95 if you are asking if low calorie vegetables such as green beans help with portion control of higher calorie foods, the answer for me is yes. That's how I eat less pizza and pasta - adding low calorie vegetables to the meal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Careful about mixing up the Weight Watchers and MFP methods.

Weight Watchers' points system is deliberately lower in calorie value than you need, because it leaves room for "free" fruits and veggies.

MFP's calorie goals have no such buffer. They assume you'll count everything. Fruits and veggies have calories.

If you combine methods, you could end up eating too much.

Correct.

Like I said, per the USDA, ten 4" green beans is 17 calories. That's not a lot of beans but let's say you ate eight servings of an equally low calorie vegetable. That's 136 calories a day you wouldn't be logging.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

All calories count when you're counting calories. However, if you're over your limit for the day, it is unlikely that it was the extra cup of green beans that did you in.

If you're cutting back on food, vegetables aren't really the first place to cut back. They're super low-cal, have vitamins and minerals and they bring lots of fiber along for the ride. They're very healthy. And, again, low-cal. Veggies are the last place I'd cut back.

If you're drowning them in butter, cheese or cream sauces, that's the place to do some cutting back.

But all the calories count. If you're counting calories, count them all.

Does that answer what you were asking? I don't mean, "Is my answer the right one?" Just wondering if addressed what you were trying to ask.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The salad I had for lunch today was 304 calories:- 2/3rds of those calories were from 100g of avocado and 60g of prawns, the other 100 calories were from 50g green leaves, 40g cucumber, 60g beetroot, 60g cherry tomatoes, 3 x spring onions - if I didn't log the low cal items I would be 100 cals out in my logging for today.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I log everything, it is a choice I make because I like data. If I don't keep accurate data, then conclusions I draw can be skewed. It is my back ground in research. Frequently records are created to track one thing but end up being used to research another. For example, US census records, they are collected to count the number of representatives to assign for each State in congress. They are used decades or centuries later to identify family members. Today I am collecting data to make sure I am eating at a deficit, next week I may be using them to see if I am hitting a micro nutrient goal over time. Green bean consumption might not change my deficit too much but it could make a big difference in achieving a fiber or vitamin C goal.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you have to portion control green beans, instead of some other more calorie dense food item, you're doing it wrong
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes. Of course. I'm also sceptical of people who eat huge volumes of low cal foods. I'm sure I read that continual over stretching of the stomach leads to less sensitivity to the hormonal signal for fullness - so in the end you always need huge volumes of food in order to feel full.

I'm not sure that volume eaters are eating "huge" volumes of food - enough to stretch the stomach and mess up their satiety signal. I consider my mom to be a volume eater and in the past few decades she's hovered just above underweight.

@PeachyCarol - I seem to remember that you are a volume eater - care to weight in?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Good question. I'm a volume eater but honestly for me it just depends on the time of the month. Some days I get surprised and get full on a pretty small amount of food - and obviously what I eat makes a difference too - but some days I can eat 300g of cauliflower and I'm still hungry.

OP, I eat a lot of veggies. It matters a bit, but obviously when a serving is 30 calories, even if you're off, you're still only off by 10-20 calories. I did eat 167 calories of veggies yesterday though, so it does add up... especially if you add butter, oil, cheese etc...

That being said, some veggies, like peas, have a pretty high amount of calories, so you got to watch out too...