Anyone had an RMR test?

Options
I had one done at the local community college. No one told me not to eat, so I'd had a piece of toast 2 hours earlier. It came out with an RMR of 3400 calories. Depending on the the calculator, my RMR is estimated at 1460-1522 calories (with a body fat number).

The guy running the test knew it was wrong, although he didn't know why.. The woman in charge of the place kept insisting that if the machine spat it out, it had to be right. Uh, hello?

Obviously, my RMR is not that high, but does that I had a piece of toast really skew it that crazy? Or is there something else throwing off the machine?

Replies

• Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes. I actually had mine tested just this morning at University of Texas. What a coincidence! I had the opposite experience.

They told me not to eat for 12 hours before the test, but I actually fasted for nearly 24 hours. I also didn't exercise at all for those 24 hours. Eating or exercising will skew your results.

My RMR is estimated to be around 1762 calories based on my height, lean body mass, gender, etc. I am a 23 year old guy.

They took four readings for me:

1st: 1950
    2nd: 1750
    3rd: 1500
    4th: 1660

She kept going because my RMR was decreasing as I calmed down. They go with your lowest reading, when you are calmest. (There are residual effects from physical activity or stress that will raise your RMR, so it's best to be very calm and rested for your reading). You also must lay perfectly still for the entirety of the reading.

All in all, my measured RMR is 1500 calories, which is significantly lower than my predicted 1762. :/

I don't believe your reading of 3400 calories for a second. It's more than twice what was predicted for you. I think you should ask them if they can do it again for free. Make sure they calibrate the equipment before you go.

-You should have fasted (water is fine)
    -You should stay completely still during the test
    -You should not exercise for the day prior to the test
    -Their equipment needs to have been calibrated recently
    -You need to have been completely calm and at rest. Almost like you're starting to fall asleep

Maybe there are some other factors too.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    How long did the test last and how did they prep you for it? I have had mine tested twice at a university research center. They have you come in and lay in a dark room, not moving, not talking, nothing, for about 30 to 60 minutes. Then the test is around 45 minutes under the same setup, with the hood over your head.. Both times mine tested about 10% higher than the estimates (and differed only because I was two different weights).

So yes, I suspect your reading was very false too. How did they perform the test? How long was it? Did you have just a mask over your nose/mouth, or did you have the full hood?
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had mine done at a place here in Waco. It was on a Reevue machine. Also had to be fasted, and the test took 10 minutes of consistent breathing into a tube.
    42yo male 6'2. It said my RMR was 2310 or so, hard to agree with it though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did they give you a detailed printout ? there's usually some stability / drift data that shows if it's a good test or not.

The tests measure gas flow and combine with gas analysis so several measurements are combined with any one of them capable of throwing an error. Did you get an RQ / RER or breakdown of fat/carb/protein oxidation ?
  • orchidbutterflies
    Options
    I've had it done twice & the first time I measured at 2550 and the second was 2700.
    They plug my nose with a clamp and I breathe into a tube.

Is mine so high because of my large size? I was 350lbs with the first and I believe 290 with the second (I had increased my LBM by the second test)

For reference, I'm 5 feet 6 1/2 inches, 22 yo female.

I have another test scheduled for November and it will be done at a different location so I'm curious to see what the number comes out at.
  • carr3107
    carr3107 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yarwell, I will look at the printout.

I had a mask for roughly 15 minutes. There wasn't much prep, just come in, pay them and recline quietly. I almost took a nap. They actually did the test twice. I had trouble with the mask - I kept getting air leakage above my nose, so they did it twice. I held it the second time with my arm propped on my knee. It was even higher the second time. Supposedly the machine was calibrated a month ago.

I had lifted weights 24 hours before the test, and had kind of a brisk walk getting there.

They will do it again for free, but it's really inconvenient to get over there on the one morning they do it. I actually suspect my metabolism is slower than would be predicted as I have struggled to lose even a pound.

I wasn't impressed at all with the (lack of) knowledge of the facility, although I suppose you get what you pay for.