Tell me about protein supplements!

KatiePeca
KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I have to admit, I don't have a clue what protein shakes/supplements do.

I'm trying to lose 85 more pounds, I want a lean, svelte physique, very unline the rather plump one I have now. I'm starting with Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer, which is every day, and going to use that to work my way up to eventually using P90X,

Would I benefit from using a protein supplement when I am still quite overweight or are they mainly for people who are a healthy weight and trying to tone and build muscle?

I'm lost ;)

Katie

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I use protein shakes all the time and have tried most every kind out there. I am currently using Body Fortress Protein Shots: 26 grams of protein only 2.9 oz to have to drink. Most protein shakes do not taste that great. You should be getting about 75 grams of protein a day.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I use protein shakes all the time and have tried most every kind out there. I am currently using Body Fortress Protein Shots: 26 grams of protein only 2.9 oz to have to drink. Most protein shakes do not taste that great. You should be getting about 75 grams of protein a day.
    Ough...I tried Body Fortress and it was terrible. Congrats for getting that down.

Protein is an excellent supplement (and actually the first on your supplement list) for rebuilding muscle. I am not sure about the 75 grams a day. There are online calculators that will give you a ball park as to how much protein you should be taking.

Personally I like Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate.
  • KatiePeca
    So, if I am meeting the amount of protein that MFP says every day (actually I slightly exceed it), then there's no point in drinking it also?

Katie
  • maryalida
    maryalida Posts: 5
    I drink Procomplex either Rocky Road, Chocolate or Strawberry. I use 1 slightly heaping scoop in 4 oz. of water with either ice or a little frozen fruit (strawberries or blueberries). For one scoop its only 135 calories with 30 grams of protein. Its the only protein drink I've found that I like. Hope this helps

Maryalida
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    So, if I am meeting the amount of protein that MFP says every day (actually I slightly exceed it), then there's no point in drinking it also?

Katie

I would reccomend as of right now i wouldnt drink protien because you are hitting your goal, but if you do find yourself where you cant stop and grab lunch or a snack a protien shake would be much better to consume then not eating at all. Just a suggestion i do this from time to time. Watch the sugars in some of the shakes though and keep up the good work.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332

Katie

Pretty much. I only use it as a meal replacement when I am short on time and when I am strength training because I require a high amount of protein per day.

Oh yeah, I use EAS brand Vanilla from BJ's $27 for a 5lb bag I think. It's excellent.

Carb - 3g
    Fat - 3g
    Pro - 25g
  • KatiePeca

Katie
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    From what I've heard, MFP sets your Protein a little low.

I personally aim for about half my body weight in protein per day. I don't always hit it because I don't feel like doing 3 protein shakes a day, lol. However, protein is important in maintaining and growing your muscle mass. As all of us are in a calorie deficit, I think sufficient protein and strength training is very important.
  • KatiePeca

I personally aim for about half my body weight in protein per day

Hmmm, well if this is the case then I need to more then double what I am taking in now.

I found a product called Designer Whey, it has 100 calories per scoop, anyone heard of this or have any experiences?

Katie
  • BradNC
    BradNC Posts: 51
    I have had 0% luck with the shakes - I guess I look at it and think it should taste like a shake from a store, then I have to choke it down. I went the route of protein bars - and believe it or not, there are a few that are good (not quite Snickers, but...). The Detour brand from GNC are great (though a bit on the expensive side) and 30g of protein - and low on sugar.
  • ajricketts

I personally aim for about half my body weight in protein per day

Hmmm, well if this is the case then I need to more then double what I am taking in now.

I found a product called Designer Whey, it has 100 calories per scoop, anyone heard of this or have any experiences?

Katie

Well, I think it's really based on your lean body mass weight, but I can't figure that out for myself, lol :) So I just figure more won't hurt. I know body builders will do 1-2 grams per pound!!

I haven't heard of that one. Like above, I buy the cheap EAS Vanilla from Sam's Club and it tastes ok. I've heard the chocolate is better. It comes in at 130 calories per scoop with 23 grams protein.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    I buy the cheap EAS Vanilla from Sam's Club and it tastes ok. I've heard the chocolate is better. It comes in at 130 calories per scoop with 23 grams protein.

Me, too. Personally, I don't think so on the EAS chocolate. It tastes too much like medicine/chemicals IMO. I tried the chocolate first, then the vanilla and the vanilla was a welcome suprise as far as actual taste goes.
  • ajricketts
    I buy the cheap EAS Vanilla from Sam's Club and it tastes ok. I've heard the chocolate is better. It comes in at 130 calories per scoop with 23 grams protein.

Me, too. Personally, I don't think so on the EAS chocolate. It tastes too much like medicine/chemicals IMO. I tried the chocolate first, then the vanilla and the vanilla was a welcome suprise as far as actual taste goes.

I hear ya. I haven't even tried the chocolate as I think the taste is harder to duplicate. And, I only really like dark chocolate anyway, lol.
This discussion has been closed.