Diary Open - Suggestions Please

Options
I'm new to this site by about a month. I have been losing the right amount of weight per week suggested about 1 to 2 lbs. I've been playing around with my diet and just started exercising as well. Been trying different things. I read recently where someone opened their diary for you all to comment on. I think I eat half way decent but would love some advice on how to make it better.

edit: I exercise in the mornings then have protein shake. so i just started that yesterday lol

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are eating pretty well, I would add sodium to the list of things you watch along with your calories and fat. Also don't dip too far below your calorie goal. I wouldn stay within 100 calories of your goal.
  • StacyD015
    StacyD015 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!!

I had a brief look at your Diary and it all seems quite good.

The only thing i would say to you is to watch the weekends and your fat and Carb amounts.

I think we all like to be less strict on weekends its not all bad :tongue:

Other than that your doing great and i see youve lost already.

Well Done

Stace x
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi
    Ive been on this site around a month too so im no expert and your doing great with your weight loss so far, i havent lost that much yet.

I had a quick look through your diary for the last week or so and you seem to eat alot of cheese and not much" fresh" fruit and veg? you also seem to have very similar meals every day dont you get bored or eating the same thing? I find i have to eat different things otherwise im more likely to fail. I probably do eat the same things every week but i try to shake them up abit so i dont eat the same or similar everyday.

I cook all my meals from scratch often doing more than a days worth at a time (batch cooking) so today i have made the following which will do two portions each for my partner and myself.

Chicken cacciatore (2 tonight & 2 frozen)

Lasagne (2 tomorrow & 2 frozen)

Chicken & Spinach bake (all four portions in freezer ready when i need it)

Cooling from scratch means i can add extra vegetables to everything... for example my lasagne contains courgette/zucchini & aubergine, mushrooms, tomatoes & sweet red peepers

I normally exercise first thing in a morning too usually having a drink & a banana before i exercise and then breakfast after.
  • CuzImaCowboy
    CuzImaCowboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are eating pretty well, I would add sodium to the list of things you watch along with your calories and fat. Also don't dip too far below your calorie goal. I wouldn stay within 100 calories of your goal.

that so hard sometimes. I get full so easily
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to track your sodium. I am guessing it is pretty high with eating deli meats, cheese, etc. every day.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It looks good to me don't forget to log your excerise didn't see it added to your calories on the day you had the protein shake good luck
  • CuzImaCowboy
    Options
    Hi
    Ive been on this site around a month too so im no expert and your doing great with your weight loss so far, i havent lost that much yet.

I had a quick look through your diary for the last week or so and you seem to eat alot of cheese and not much" fresh" fruit and veg? you also seem to have very similar meals every day dont you get bored or eating the same thing? I find i have to eat different things otherwise im more likely to fail. I probably do eat the same things every week but i try to shake them up abit so i dont eat the same or similar everyday.

I cook all my meals from scratch often doing more than a days worth at a time (batch cooking) so today i have made the following which will do two portions each for my partner and myself.

Chicken cacciatore (2 tonight & 2 frozen)

Lasagne (2 tomorrow & 2 frozen)

Chicken & Spinach bake (all four portions in freezer ready when i need it)

Cooling from scratch means i can add extra vegetables to everything... for example my lasagne contains courgette/zucchini & aubergine, mushrooms, tomatoes & sweet red peepers

I normally exercise first thing in a morning too usually having a drink & a banana before i exercise and then breakfast after.

I know people say variety is good but I have no problem with eating the same things. I like to every now and then do something different but I like to stick to what works. Also I love what I'm eating have been eating pretty much the same thing for years with a few exceptions: pizza, ice cream, take out foods, snacks. It wasn't my meals that did me in it was all the crap i ate between them. Snacked on vending machine and pop all day long at work. You know that type of thing.

Now with that said I have been looking at different recipes on this site and will be trying some new things soon :)
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi! It looks like you're doing great with your calories. I would suggest adding in more fresh vegetables. Try to have a fruit/veg or both with every meal and snack. I've really found this to be one of the keys to keeping weight off long-term.
  • CuzImaCowboy
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to track your sodium. I am guessing it is pretty high with eating deli meats, cheese, etc. every day.

i just added sodium and dam I'm way over. Is that bad? Other then being overweight I have never had any health issues. And deli sandwiches are very easy to prepare, and I've seen lots of meal plans on the net that suggest eating something like that for lunch.

edit: i just read it can lead to high blood pressure which is something I've never had
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Sodium can also make you retain water and frustrate you to no end when it makes you weigh more on the scale. For less sodium try using fresh ingredients when you can and low sodium ingredients when you can't.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine for right now. Once every week or so, I would work on improving something about your diet. That could be cutting out prepackaged food out of your routine or making sure to eat 5-6 servings of veggies a day. By the time you get in shooting distance of your goal weight, you want to be eating mostly whole foods, 5-6 servings of veggies a day, 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean mass in your body, under 2,300 mg sodium, getting in all your vitamins, etc.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Oh and as far as not going too far below calories if you get full really easily try this. If you eat something that is non fat or lowfat, get the lowfat or regular version of it just to get that few more calories.
  • CuzImaCowboy
    Options
    thank you all for your responses I really do appreciate it. Looks like the general theme is more veggies and fruits, watch sodium and eat closer to my goal calories. I've never been a big veggie eater guess now is a good time to change
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your responses I really do appreciate it. Looks like the general theme is more veggies and fruits, watch sodium and eat closer to my goal calories. I've never been a big veggie eater guess now is a good time to change

I admire your positive attitude. It can be hard to embrace change, but it sounds like you're ready for it. Keep it up!