Heart rate monitor

Options
Hi everyone!!!

I've never used an HRM and I want to buy one tomorrow..

Unfortunately, I don't have the biggest budget right now...

I looked a couple online, and I always see some that you have to touch to have your Heart Rate..

Is there some watch that simply counts your pulse on your wrist or something?

I am mainly buying one to count the calories in every workout I do...

If i want to track those calories, do I have to touch the watch every 30 seconds?? lol

Thank you, I'm a newbie!!!

Replies

• gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Don't waste you money on a cheap watch without a chest strap. In the HRM market you usually get what you pay for. I would suggest you look at the Polar FT4 with chest strap as a minimum. Or workout until you cannot carry on a casual conversation without breathing hard. That was the old fashion way before HRM.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar FS3 (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for a HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked yesterday after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. Get one with a chest strap. I was initially against a chest strap HRM, mainly because I thought they would feel bulky or uncomfortable. I ended up going with the Polar FT7 and I :heart: it as well. It's not the least bit uncomfortable and is very accurate on my heart rate and calories burned. Hope this helps!
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Good link too!!

Ill look for a chest strap ;) lol
  • kdonald
    kdonald Posts: 1
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 and love it. You wear a chest strap with a transmitter that tracks your heart rate. Your heart rate and calories burned then display on the wrist watch. The strap is very comfortable, and I don't notice that I even have it on when I work out.
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1307456536&sr=8-1

Which is $45, which is extremely inexpensive for an hrm with a chest strap, and it's cheaper than it was in stores ($70), so I think it's a good deal. You definitely want a chest strap, as everyone else mentioned. I can't recommend it as I haven't gotten it/used it yet, but it's inexpensive and it came highly rated.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 from heartratemonitorsusa.com, andI love it. All I wanted was a simple, not too expensive HRM to tell me my heart rate and how many calories I've burned, so that one was perfect for me. Also, Heart Rate Monitors USA shipped it to me the same day I bought it, with free shipping. Score! I just looked and the FT4 is on sale there for $73.99. There's lots to choose from though....like the others said, just make sure you get one with a strap.

Enjoy your new toy!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from but if you're in the UK you are in luck! Lloyds Pharmacy are selling them for £14.99 at the moment with a chest strap and a free pedometer!
    I've had mine nearly 2 weeks now and I'm really pleased with it :smile: