Eggs!

I need help determining what part of eggs is actually good. I usually have two eggs in the morning( whole) and it throws my fat maco count way out of the park. So is it good fat or not?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    What are your goals? Whole eggs are delicious and nutritious. Nothing wrong with fat in and of itself unless you've been specifically told by a doctor to stick to a low fat diet. A calorie deficit is the only thing that matters for weight loss, but I can't speak to the nutrition portion for anyone but myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Two eggs throws your fat macros out of whack?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Every part of the egg is good. Every. Part.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I'm a fan of whole eggs to help with satiety while in a calorie deficit. I will occasionally extend the eggs by add more egg whites.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

I don't eat the shells. Just wasn't raised that way. ;)
  • mstigurl
    mstigurl Posts: 20 Member
    I am also confused on how it throws your fat macro "way out of the park". A large egg only has 4.5g of fat. And I agree with the other posters above me. Every part (not the shell) is good for you. And if you are hungrier than usual, throw in extra egg whites to make it bigger like goldthistime suggested. If you good "are eggs good for me" you will find plenty of articles that explain the health benefits of the WHOLE egg :) Hope this helps some!
  • glassyo
    Azuriaz wrote: »

I suck at cracking them so I've probably eaten part of a shell a time or two. :)

But yeah, OP, not the shell!

• OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    1 Whole Egg
    The good:
    This food is a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein and Selenium.

The bad:
    This food is high in Saturated Fat, and very high in Cholesterol.

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2#ixzz3nC1LO72B

1 Egg White
    The good: This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a very good source of Protein, Riboflavin and Selenium.

The bad: This food is high in Sodium

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/112/2#ixzz3nC2h3tu7

1 Egg Yolk
    The good:
    This food is very low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Protein, Folate, Vitamin B12 and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Selenium.

The bad:
    This food is high in Saturated Fat, and very high in Cholesterol.

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2#ixzz3nC2936yB

Hope this comparison helps you to determine how to use according to your needs :)

• glassyo
    Unless you have a medical condition (still not sure what that is), dietary cholesterol doesn't really have an effect on blood cholesterol.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

I suck at cracking them so I've probably eaten part of a shell a time or two. :)

But yeah, OP, not the shell!

Great non-milk, non-veggie, calcium source though....
  • CoachJustinLee
    CoachJustinLee Posts: 2 Member
    Don't have to worry much about the cholesterol in food unless you have existing cholesterol problem.

According to the panel of experts that advises the USDA on the nation's dietary guidelines, cholesterol is NOT "a nutrient of concern for overconsumption." In other words, the cholesterol you consume in meats, eggs, and dairy isn't likely to raise your risk of heart disease, says the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
  • CoachJustinLee
    CoachJustinLee Posts: 2 Member
    I always consume 3 whole egg & 1 egg white every morning together with my meal replacement.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

It's actually a good source of calcium - shells can be ground to a powder and are cheaper than buying supplements (assuming the eggs were going to be eaten regardless).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    If two eggs are throwing your macros off then I wonder if you are trying to cut fat too low?

If you're geting plenty of fat elsewhere then no harm in just eating the whites for the protein, but there are lots of other micronutrients in the yolk. Sometimes I'll have one whole egg and add extra whites if it helps balance the macros.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    I just had 30 x eggs dropped in my lap. I plan on eating 5 x scrambled every morning for the next week or so with my black beans and tortillas. I've seen the back and forth with the eat them, don't eat them, only eat so many, etc, looks like anything we eat is going to do something bad to us at some point in our lives.
  • kaycechlarson
    kaycechlarson Posts: 3 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition (still not sure what that is), dietary cholesterol doesn't really have an effect on blood cholesterol.

• kaycechlarson
    kaycechlarson Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyoner! That helps a lot. I just feel like my fat goes up on my macros with the eggs. When I take the eggs out I notice it's way better. I have no medical conditions that requires a low fat diet. I just love how filling eggs are!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Whole eggs only. And restricting fat intake is not a good way to lose weight so don't worry.
    My triglycerides dropped 75% while eating whole eggs with sausage for breakfast every day.
    Total cholesterol dropped. HDL went up LDL went way down. Better than at any other time in my life.
    Fat in food is not fat on you.
  • glassyo

It's actually a good source of calcium - shells can be ground to a powder and are cheaper than buying supplements (assuming the eggs were going to be eaten regardless).

Oy, then I take back my taking back of eating the shells! :)

The thought is kinda icky to me tho. Especially when there's that extra crunch you weren't really expecting whilst eating said eggs.

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited September 2015
    I eat like..8 eggs a day (love em, they're so simple to cook and delicious) Hasn't really affected me. I think eggs are great. If the amount of fat bothers you, maybe you should eat something else.