Looking for a lunchtime regular

Options
GreyKnight120
GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
Skipping lunch when I'm at work has been a problem at dinnertime where I'm most prone to over-eat, so I've been kind of looking for something that is fairly simple to make the night before (or on Sunday night that I can make for the entire week) that I can have for lunch on work days.

I'm leaning towards going to a Paleo (or mostly Paleo) diet as I continue to lose weight, so something that fits that criteria would be ideal, though not entirely necessary. I don't need a whole lot of variety and don't mind eating the same lunch day in and day out, but if there's a way to dress up a salad or wrap differently that may be a plus.

I also don't have a means of heating up food at work so it would need to be something cold (I don't have a fridge either but I normally have my lunch within 2-3 hours of arriving at work so it is often still cold from my insulated lunch bag).

I have been considering cooking extra chicken on the grill on Sunday nights and using this for salads and wraps, but I'm not sure what sort of other ingredients might work with that that are healthy, tasty, and in particular filling! I'm very open to suggestions and ideas.

Replies

• melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The chicken idea is great. Just pair that with a big, leafy green salad and you're good to go. And there are lots of different ways to dress up your salads. I found this online and thought it was pretty neat. :)

umbrqsdzpl38.jpg
  • GreyKnight120
    Options
    Oooh, awesome!! I just got back from the grocery store and picked up broccoli and cilantro, but I'm going to vary things up probably from week to week. Mushrooms and onions are two of my favorites too! Thank you for this!!
  • memawwheeler
    memawwheeler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to use a lunch crockpot if I want something hot. Picked one up at Target for about $15. I just put in my leftovers or precooked foods like canned soups (have even put lean cuisine frozen dinners in it) and plug it in at my desk. It is always piping hot by lunch.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There are, of course, containers that will keep your food hot. Thermos makes a few, and expect to pay $20+ for a decent one with double insulated vacuum sealed walls. Moist food that fills the container will stay hot longer, such as soups, stews, casserole, and anything with a sauce. Preheat the container with hot water from the tap, close it, and let it warm up while heating the food in a microwave or small saucepan. Pour the water out as soon as the food is hot and then carefully fill up the container with the desired portion. This method will result in steaming hot food for hours.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    There are, of course, containers that will keep your food hot. Thermos makes a few, and expect to pay $20+ for a decent one with double insulated vacuum sealed walls. Moist food that fills the container will stay hot longer, such as soups, stews, casserole, and anything with a sauce. Preheat the container with hot water from the tap, close it, and let it warm up while heating the food in a microwave or small saucepan. Pour the water out as soon as the food is hot and then carefully fill up the container with the desired portion. This method will result in steaming hot food for hours.

This is what I do to send my daughter to school with hot food. She loves chili :)
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    gzz3f560zbzj.jpg
    I eat the same thing every day. Tastes good hot or cold.

4 or 5 oz of chicken
    130 grams pinto beans
    85 grams of broccoli

All seasoned with only salt, pepper, and garlic powder. YUM!

Nutrition:
    Calories = 243
    Fat = 3 g
    Protein = 30 g
    Carbs = 22 g
    Fiber = 9 g
    Sugar = 2 g

I don't get bored with food easily so I've been eating some variation of this (change pinto to black beans or broccoli to green beans) for months.

Late afternoon snack: 2 oz of homemade beef jerky or 0.75 oz of almonds.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    If you check out the Bento thread, you might see some good suggestions too. Often times I don't heat up mine even though some of the containers are able to be microwaved with the lids off. It's a fun way to do portion controlled lunches.
  • GreyKnight120
    edited September 2015
    Options
    UPDATE:

On Saturday we went grocery shopping and in addition to the usual foodstuff items, we bought 10 smallish Tupperware containers.

Sunday evening I grilled up some chicken and made a huge bowl of salad with kale, baby spinach, cilantro (love the flavor and put this on so much stuff), mushrooms, chopped onion, avocado, and added beet chips, lightly salted dried edamame, and cashews for crunch. As it turns out the beet chips got a bit soggy so I may replace those with additional nuts next week. Then I took this huge salad and divided it evenly into the 10 Tupperware containers and after the chicken cooled I added it to each one on the top. So effectively took care of 5 days of lunch for my wife and I in one shot - hers were sans avocado and cilantro however.

We also have these cute little salad dressing dispensers: http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/SNm8kSSuW_WhNawkhhKX_Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYwMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/03358c6cb2a4b01f5c0f6a706700a1e9.jpg

So I put a teaspoon of EVOO and a couple tablespoons of whatever vinegar I'm in the mood for (yesterday it was balsamic, today is red wine vinegar). Then I just mix in the dressing when I'm ready to eat so the salad isn't sitting in there getting soggy all week.

The whole thing for a day is under 300 calories and today I had the notion to bring a tortilla shell and make a sort of wrap out of part of it.

Next week I think I might leave off the beet chips and add tomato and cucumber. There's so many great ways to play around with this so that from week to week it's not the same exact thing.

I appreciate all of the other suggestions given as well. With the weather getting colder I may consider investing in a good thermos or two and making soups in the morning or even the night before in the slow cooker. Thank you!!

QUICK EDIT: I just took a look - the salad is 322 calories. Adding the wheat tortilla added another 130 calories to bring it up to 452. Still worth it in my book. :blush:
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    That salad guide is awesome! I struggle with coming up with salad ideas and usually don't eat salads because they are too boring, but that is great!
  • mfchilambi
    mfchilambi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Melodicraven...the salads chart is awesome....is it possible for you to send me that chart via email(mfchilambi@yahoo.com). I would want to print that...it will help me so much <3
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    mfchilambi wrote: »
    Melodicraven...the salads chart is awesome....is it possible for you to send me that chart via email(mfchilambi@yahoo.com). I would want to print that...it will help me so much <3

Emailed it to you. :)

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I like to make up what I call a picnic lunch on occasion for a change of pace and it might work for you too. A hard boiled egg, grapes, cheese, veggies and dip (usually plain greek yogurt and spices), ham and/or turkey roll ups and almonds.
  • Frideee
    Frideee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You know I have a Bento box for my 9 year old but never thought of getting one for myself until now. Usually I send him with a sandwich, some grapes and a goodie. I could get the same box for me and pack some chicken, fruit and a mini goodie. I often find that if I bring my lunch it seems boring compared to what I could buy but I think if I do a bento box I can have a little of everything to make it more appetizing.

Thanks for the idea.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I eat a salad for lunch at work almost every single day. I tend to eat the same thing for a week or so then switch. I do my non-creamy dressings 2-3 parts acid to 1 part oil.

Some of my favorites (any work with almost any protein - chicken, steak, shrimp, salmon for some better than others, etc - or no protein at all, and all with whatever greens and additional vegetables strike your fancy):

Green apple/goat cheese/balsamic (regular or white) vinegar and herbed olive oil. (You can add candied nuts and/or dried cherries and/or avocado to this, too, but I usually only pick one to keep calories down.) I sometimes add asparagus and/or cucumbers to this, too.

Same as above but swap the apple for roasted corn and use slivered almonds and honey mustard vinaigrette. Better with ALL the add-ins :wink:.

Roasted corn/black beans/avocado/diced bell pepper and onion (sauteed or raw)/shredded cheddar or jack/cilantro/salsa/ranch if the salsa isn't enough dressing for you

Gorgonzola/walnuts/diced red onion/apple chips/white balsamic vinegar and olive oil of your choice

Thinly sliced raw jalapenos and red onions/cucumbers/lots of cilantro/lime juice/ranch dressing

Blue cheese/tomatoes/scallions/cucumbers/bacon/small cooked pasta if you want/dressing of your choice (works with nearly anything)

Cheddar cheese/bacon/cucumbers/spicy ranch

Quinoa/kalamata olives/asparagus/goat or feta cheese/lemon vinaigrette

Napa cabbage/red bell pepper/scallions/toasted almonds, sesame seeds, and ramen noodles/Asian-style dressing of your choice

Fresh mozzarella/tomatoes/basil/salami if you want/any kind of vinaigrette

I should probably stop there...I could go on nearly forever, and plus I'm making myself hungry and it's still a couple of hours til lunch! :smile:

• Frideee
    Frideee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I eat a salad for lunch at work almost every single day. I tend to eat the same thing for a week or so then switch. I do my non-creamy dressings 2-3 parts acid to 1 part oil.

Some of my favorites (any work with almost any protein - chicken, steak, shrimp, salmon for some better than others, etc - or no protein at all, and all with whatever greens and additional vegetables strike your fancy):

Green apple/goat cheese/balsamic (regular or white) vinegar and herbed olive oil. (You can add candied nuts and/or dried cherries and/or avocado to this, too, but I usually only pick one to keep calories down.) I sometimes add asparagus and/or cucumbers to this, too.

Same as above but swap the apple for roasted corn and use slivered almonds and honey mustard vinaigrette. Better with ALL the add-ins :wink:.

Roasted corn/black beans/avocado/diced bell pepper and onion (sauteed or raw)/shredded cheddar or jack/cilantro/salsa/ranch if the salsa isn't enough dressing for you

Gorgonzola/walnuts/diced red onion/apple chips/white balsamic vinegar and olive oil of your choice

Thinly sliced raw jalapenos and red onions/cucumbers/lots of cilantro/lime juice/ranch dressing

Blue cheese/tomatoes/scallions/cucumbers/bacon/small cooked pasta if you want/dressing of your choice (works with nearly anything)

Cheddar cheese/bacon/cucumbers/spicy ranch

Quinoa/kalamata olives/asparagus/goat or feta cheese/lemon vinaigrette

Napa cabbage/red bell pepper/scallions/toasted almonds, sesame seeds, and ramen noodles/Asian-style dressing of your choice

Fresh mozzarella/tomatoes/basil/salami if you want/any kind of vinaigrette

I should probably stop there...I could go on nearly forever, and plus I'm making myself hungry and it's still a couple of hours til lunch! :smile:

Wow, that all sounds so good.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ^^ ALL of those sound amazing! I never thought of using salsa as a dressing.

Op, I use cottage cheese as the dressing. Protein and it's good on salads with fruit (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with chicken). Just make sure you add it right before you eat or it makes everything soggy. I also use tuna instead of chicken sometimes in my salads- those individual flavored packets.

You can make stuffed tomatoes, get a big one or a couple small ones, mix the tuna with a little mayo and anything else you like (I sometimes add dill weed or mustard, pickle juice/relish) and stuff the tomato with it. Easy and cold.

I throw a small bag of ice in my lunchbox and it stays cold all day.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Op, I use cottage cheese as the dressing. Protein and it's good on salads with fruit (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with chicken). Just make sure you add it right before you eat or it makes everything soggy. I also use tuna instead of chicken sometimes in my salads- those individual flavored packets.

You can make stuffed tomatoes, get a big one or a couple small ones, mix the tuna with a little mayo and anything else you like (I sometimes add dill weed or mustard, pickle juice/relish) and stuff the tomato with it. Easy and cold.

You should mix the salsa with your cottage cheese. Yummmm <3
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use salsa as salad dressing all the time. There's alot of choices out there, peach/mango, blackbean corn, etc and it adds flavor. Try mason jar salads. You can make it ahead of time and if nothing else, there's alot of great salad ideas out there. You reminded me how I need to get back to doing this. Thanks!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You might prefer cherry tomatoes added to salad. They don't get soggy.Hard boiled egg adds flavor.
    You can add berries to a salad,with a poppy seed dressing. Lots of ideas out there.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »

You should mix the salsa with your cottage cheese. Yummmm <3

I make that to dip Doritos in :D So good