Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
Anyone a fan of using this? I read about the health benefits quite often. I tried it and it gave me the worst heartburn and is hard to get down. Any suggestions?

Replies

• deenchel
    deenchel Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a few tablespoons every morning followed by a glass of water with lemon
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the health claims, and they don't seem to be substantiated (my guess is that it's mostly placebo effect).

That said, it's great in hot and sour soup. Plus, if you have a fruit fly problem, put some in a glass with a single drop of dish soap in it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I sometimes rinse my hair with it and it makes it soft and shiny, and I will rinse my dog after a bath with it and it makes his fur soft and shiny, but I don't drink it, no. Blech.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If it causes you discomfort, it's almost certainly not worth the effort for whatever unproven benefits there supposedly are.

It's pretty good in apple berry shrubs, though.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    I pour a little in a 16 ounce water bottle. Good to go
  • bettinacharles
    bettinacharles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it's easier on the system if you put it in water... but make sure you drink it through a straw... its murder on the teeth enamel...just saying ... and as far as the health benefits... I don't know but I will say all the old folks in their 90's that I know swear by Braggs apple cider vinegar.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If I am running short on calories I make a salad dressing out of it with a bit of local honey. I can't drink it because I have GI issues and it is highly acidic. But I find I don't need much on my salad and by having it with food it doesn't kill my stomach or cause heartburn or acid reflux. Good luck! :)
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use it for salad dressing but that's about it. It smells so strong I couldn't imagine drinking it.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If it causes you discomfort, it's almost certainly not worth the effort for whatever unproven benefits there supposedly are.

^^This.

I use it in several recipes - one of which is with chicken, apricot preserves and honey. Yum!

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use it for reflux. I know it sounds odd, but it works. I use 2 tablespoons of Bragg's Apple Cider with the "mother" and about a teaspoon of honey and either tap water or seltzer. Sometimes I drink it before a meal or with the meal. I rarely have to take medicine.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »

^^This.

I use it in several recipes - one of which is with chicken, apricot preserves and honey. Yum!

I use it to cook my black beans, as per recipe. It gives them a good taste
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What specific health benefits are you looking to obtain? Most of the claims that I've seen are based solely on anecdotal evidence and not science.

It makes a fine marinade, dressing, or addition to a lot of recipes.

Drinking a tablespoon of it each day is not going to cure whatever disease du jour it's claiming to cure.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I only use it when making a roast in the crock pot.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh god... if it gives you horrible heartburn, please stop drinking that!! I can just imagine the pain...

The smell is strong, and I use it for a pickled cabbage recipe I make.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I mix it with mustard and brown sugar, boil it for a few minutes, then put it on my baby back ribs as I take them off the smoker. It makes for a fanTAStic rib glaze!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I use it a LOT when cooking. I don't attempt to drink it.

ACV has not earned it's rep for being helpful with weight loss and all that stuff. It's wonderful as an ingredient, but not something to drink or especially helpful for weight loss (other than giving healthy foods a nice zip.)

It gets a lot of credit that it doesn't deserve.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^ here, here. I soak my chicken carcass in water with ACV or lemon juice before making stock to leach nutrients from the bones.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of wild claims made about ACV that just aren't true. I know a lot of people get great results using it on their hair. I've heard some nice anecdotal evidence of using it for reflux. Beyond that? If you like it for cooking? Have at it.

If it's giving you heartburn? I'd stop drinking it. There's no point in drinking it if it's causing you discomfort.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's good getting the stink out of my workout clothes