wieght training

Options
Why do you not get credit for pushing weights but you do for cardio on the daily tracker?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Log weight training under "cardio". It is very hard to get an accurate burn for weight lifting.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It is very hard to get an accurate burn for weight lifting.

They should still gave an estimate, like..

If your dumbbells are pink = low calorie burn
    Lifting heavy and sweating = good calorie burn
    Beast mode, people staring at you in gym = high calorie burn :+1:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

haha I like that
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Why do you not get credit for pushing weights but you do for cardio on the daily tracker?

Weights are not keeping your heart rate up consistently and long enough. A few days of cardio and you will notice a change in your goals and better weight lifting
  • JayFox60
    JayFox60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've always been frustrated with how MFP sort of "doesn't count" weightlifting in it's caloric records. I love strength training, and I've worked with several physical trainers who assert that a hard lifting workout is equal to, if not more than, a jog for the same duration of time. I want to believe them, because there are times I've been more tired after lifting than after running!

I want to take the advice of physical trainers over the workings of an app, but it's still dejecting to add in the weight lifting and feel like, even though I've worked my tail off, I can't have a cookie after because the weight lifting doesn't negate the cookie, in my calorie calculations.

SO I got frustrated and went out and bought a Fitbit HR/Charge. I've only just got it, but I've heard it'll take lifting into account, as long as my heart rate increases. We'll see how it goes at the gym tonight.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    The rule I apply to myself (based on things I've read lol) is that one hour of heavy lifting burns about 150-200 calories. This is obviously pis% poor compared to cardio so I keep my diet in check. However, the more muscle mass you have, the more efficiently you will burn calories at rest. People will also argue that an hour of intensive weight training will stoke the fire so much that you continue burning fat at a higher rate throughout the day unlike cardio which stops the minute you finish. Bro-Science? Who knows?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    JayFox60 wrote: »
    I've always been frustrated with how MFP sort of "doesn't count" weightlifting in it's caloric records. I love strength training, and I've worked with several physical trainers who assert that a hard lifting workout is equal to, if not more than, a jog for the same duration of time. I want to believe them, because there are times I've been more tired after lifting than after running!

I want to take the advice of physical trainers over the workings of an app, but it's still dejecting to add in the weight lifting and feel like, even though I've worked my tail off, I can't have a cookie after because the weight lifting doesn't negate the cookie, in my calorie calculations.

SO I got frustrated and went out and bought a Fitbit HR/Charge. I've only just got it, but I've heard it'll take lifting into account, as long as my heart rate increases. We'll see how it goes at the gym tonight.

MFP does give calorie burns for lifting; it's under the cardio section. The weight lifting section is set up for recording reps and sets. Nonetheless, it's extremely difficult to formulate calorie expenditures from lifting as there are just way too many variables.

OP, use the cardio section and search "weight training" and don't eat it all back. It's just trial and error.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I mostly lift weights and just adjust my overall calorie goals based on 4-6 hours a week. I keep the total flat day in and out. it's easy and has worked well for me.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually put some time "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort" but the time equivalence is an estimate at best. The important thing is to not let it be an excuse to reward myself with a fat pill. MyFitnessPal is a wonderful tool for keeping myself honest about what I eat, but it really has no accurate way of telling you your calorie bur for non-steady state activities.

The thing is, scale weight is mostly what you eat (calories in/out) but body composition is from exercise. Compare the body of a long distance runner to the body of a sprinter, gymnast, non-heavyweight Olympic lifter, wrestler, boxer, etc. Clearly, periodic intense exercise is superior to steady state low intensity exercise for body composition but measuring calories for what we can call circuit training, be it wind sprints, or lifting with some work/rest ratio can't accurately be done by the app.

At this point I track my weight daily and ask myself, "Is it working?" If the answer is no, I must decide if it's bad estimates on how much I eat (I don't weigh my food, that's too obsessive for me), or over estimating extra calories from exercise (if I eat them). It's actually not that hard to see.

A BIG thing that I noticed is that MyFitnessPal does not automatically adjust target calorie intake as you loose weight. My fat loss rate slowed and I thought about that and re entered my goals and weight and it gave me a new total calories per day that was lower. It needed to be since your current weight is part of it's formula. Kind of a bummer since I had to figure out how to eat less every day. At this point, to enjoy a hearty dinner I must eat lower calorie breakfast and lunch. If I want to eat hash browns with my bacon and egg breakfast I must hope that my wife doesn't cook one of my favorite meals for dinner because I'll only get to smell it cooking ;0)

My goal is sustainable weight loss and maintenance. I've lost 75 lbs only to put 40 back on before. MyFitnessPal seems like just what I need to meet my goal (sustainability). It's far easier to loose weight than to keep it off if you lost is in some non-sustainable way. Control eating and lift heavy things.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

This would be SO helpful...
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You can work out the minimum calories when weight-lifting very precisely:

Energy = Force X Distance (Force is measure in Newtons, and on planet earth it's about 10 x Weight in kilos)

So a 50 kg bench press, moving the weight 0.5m vertically, you get:

500 x 10 x 0.5 = 2500 joules

converted to calories: 2500 x 0.000239005736 = 0.6 kcalories

So 30 reps of 50 kg bench press will burn 18 calories!

I say minimum because the above calculation assumes the body is completely efficient, in reality you'll lose energy in heat and inefficient movements. I don't know what the efficiency typically is, but at least can very safely assume you've burned all the E=FD calories.
  • dlm7507
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nice hamlet1222. Since I'm a bit of a nerd (why didn't I think of that?), I might just do some calculations to see if my swags have been close. Thinking how acceleration/deceleration factors. Explosive movement vs. slow grinds.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    You can work out the minimum calories when weight-lifting very precisely:

Energy = Force X Distance (Force is measure in Newtons, and on planet earth it's about 10 x Weight in kilos)

So a 50 kg bench press, moving the weight 0.5m vertically, you get:

500 x 10 x 0.5 = 2500 joules

converted to calories: 2500 x 0.000239005736 = 0.6 kcalories

So 30 reps of 50 kg bench press will burn 18 calories!

I say minimum because the above calculation assumes the body is completely efficient, in reality you'll lose energy in heat and inefficient movements. I don't know what the efficiency typically is, but at least can very safely assume you've burned all the E=FD calories.

Very nice!!
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Question: where did the 500 come from? Why isn't it 50 * 10 * 0.5 = 250?

Of course 1.8 calories burned for 30 * 50 Kg bench presses are disappointing ;0)

I can see why they didn't try to calculate for exercise.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    I think I'll get a heart rate monitor that will give an average over time. I just made a spreadsheet that will calculate based upon that. If it works out I'll post the results. It will be a while until I have statistically relevant data. There's got to be a valid way to do this, even if I'm not big on eating exercise calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    I think I'll get a heart rate monitor that will give an average over time. I just made a spreadsheet that will calculate based upon that. If it works out I'll post the results. It will be a while until I have statistically relevant data. There's got to be a valid way to do this, even if I'm not big on eating exercise calories.

HRMs are not meant for/accurate for weight training.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    I understand. I use kettlebells and rings and my workouts are a akin to circuit training where I reach high heart rates (for me) with rest intervals that don't let it drop to my normal. I am curious what the average will be. I expect that it will be higher than low intensity "cardio" where you can watch TV while doing it, but I won't know until I measure it.

I know without a doubt that intense interval training is far better exercise that low/medium intensity steady state exercise so I'd like to see if I can correlate it. It may turn out to be an exercise in futility, but if I can do it at a reasonable price I might try just because. The formulas above certainly don't begin to show the benefit of strength training for weight loss based upon observable results.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

YES! I soo agree!!

I call my Beast Modes "circuit training" in the cardio option. Seems to be more realistic than the piddly 100 cals I get for the "weight training" option. there's no way in hell I only burnt 100 cals in a 50 minute session that left me sweating buckets and with shaking limbs...
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    dlm7507, the 500 comes from gravity (9.8 m/s/s) multiplied by mass (50 kg). Force, measured in Newtons is for our purposes a measure of how gravity acts on a mass. On the moon gravity is much less of what it is on earth (1.6), so doing the 30 reps would only burn 0.3 calories :-(
  • dlm7507
    Options
    If it weighs 50 Kg on the earth that already factors gravity, I would think.
    J = F * D * cos(theta)
    245 = (50 * 9.8) * 0.5 * 1
    245 = 490 * 0.5 * 1
    C = J * 0.000239005736 * reps
    1.76 = 245 * 0.000239005736 * 30
    It seems an order of magnitude high. Where did the extra x10 come from? Not trying to argue, just trying to follow your example.