How to control hunger

Options
Ever since I started doing my fitness pal I've been so hungry I could murder someone for food. It's so hard to stay under the calorie goal and I get so agitated and on edge with this hunger. Anyone know how I can calm down and control my hunger ?!! I really want to loose weight :(

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get lots of fats and protein, for satiety.
  • Deefranco1967
    Deefranco1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't go more than 3 hours without eating protein.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie allowance? If it's too low (1200) you might want to consider raising it a bit and losing weight at a bit of a slower pace
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fats helped me. I eat LCHF, and find my appetite is greatly diminished. I could forget to eat for 6 hours at a time.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I keep a bit of cooked chicken in my fridge for when I need protein, or I feel super hungry. It usually does the trick. I'm more of a grazer though, so, for example, I may not eat a real breakfast, but I snack on veggies until lunch.

The trick is finding out when eating works best for you, and what foods you need to eat to feel sated.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I increased my fats, decreased my carbs (slightly), ate more frequently and made my snacks more 'meal like' with the same balance of carbs, fat and protein as my meals.. also drink lots of herbal tea and some days just grit my teeth and bare it. If necessary and you're starving have protein..
  • cdm26
    cdm26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fats helped me. I eat LCHF, and find my appetite is greatly diminished. I could forget to eat for 6 hours at a time.

LCHF stands for low card high fat ??
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're eating enough, right?

I only ask because I made this mistake at the very start. MFP gave me 1200 calories to play with and I assumed that was my lot - I didn't take exercise into consideration at all and I was absolutely starving and miserable.
    I'm now eating 1500 per day and losing 0.5 per week so make sure you are getting 'enough'!

If you are and you are still hungry - You need to make sure you are eating food that fills you up! For me, it's porridge, bananas and rice. Something that I feel like I've had a good decent sized meal on.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Definitely this. But if I eat fat with a bunch of carbs (like a cheesy creamy pasta bowl) forget it. Hungry in an hour or less. So for me it's both lower carbs and eat more fat. I try to keep protein moderate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cdm26 wrote: »
    Ever since I started doing my fitness pal I've been so hungry I could murder someone for food. It's so hard to stay under the calorie goal and I get so agitated and on edge with this hunger. Anyone know how I can calm down and control my hunger ?!! I really want to loose weight :(

Would you please change your Diary Sharing setting to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • fatbottomgirl930
    Options
    Eat healthy fats, lean proteins and veggies. Decrease processed garbage that doesn't provide micronutrients to your body. Look up "low glycemic foods" in Google and stick to eating food on that list. Eating a treat every now and again is good too, but shouldn't make up the majority of the foods you eat.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Also load up on veggies! You can have a generous plateful of veggies and it'll be low in calories.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, you can get more specific advice.

This is what I do.

Although sometimes I work through my hunger, I don't always. I have some ~100 calorie snacks that take the edge off when needed. This is in addition to the 5-6 times a day I eat. These meals are about 200-400 calories and I try to ensure I have good amounts of protein and fiber in them. My diary is open.

Like others have said or implied, if you are having trouble your current calorie allotment, it would be better to increase it while still being in deficit.
  • cdm26
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Would you please change your Diary Sharing setting to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Diary is now public :) maybe the problem is I eat too much "junk food" that isn't very satisfying
  • cdm26
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

This is what I do.

Although sometimes I work through my hunger, I don't always. I have some ~100 calorie snacks that take the edge off when needed. This is in addition to the 5-6 times a day I eat. These meals are about 200-400 calories and I try to ensure I have good amounts of protein and fiber in them. My diary is open.

Like others have said or implied, if you are having trouble your current calorie allotment, it would be better to increase it while still being in deficit.

I don't know I think 1620 calories is alot. I don't know how I would lose weight increasing that
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Diary is now public :) maybe the problem is I eat too much "junk food" that isn't very satisfying

Are you logging everything that you eat? In the past week, you have some days with no entries and some days with fewer than 1,000 calories. There are also some entries that don't seem accurate (did you really eat dry tapioca?).
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't do low carb high fat. Your energy levels will be negatively altered. More fiber in a diet is great. Also volumize your meals.

For example: when making an omelet add a bunch of veggies. Not many calories... But more volume.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

This is what I do.

I don't know I think 1620 calories is alot. I don't know how I would lose weight increasing that

Probably, I didn't know your calories goal when I made that advice. Many times the issue is the person who is having the problem has stuck to a low goal like 1200.

• cdm26
    Options

Are you logging everything that you eat? In the past week, you have some days with no entries and some days with fewer than 1,000 calories. There are also some entries that don't seem accurate (did you really eat dry tapioca?).

I haven't been filling it out that much lately. I qas really commited a few months ago that's when the diary would be more accurate