Short, relatively small women in long-term maintenance

Options

Replies

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I count myself fortunate now to have big wide duck feet. :open_mouth: Still, I went from an 8.5 wide shoe to a 7.5 regular. I have to wonder if the trend toward larger and wider shoes is related to rising obesity numbers, because I had no idea that losing weight would make my feet smaller.

Clothes are indeed a PITA, one that has me contemplating a reorganisation of living space to set up a permanent sewing machine nook with a fitting dummy. It's not just re-hemming pants and skirts, it's re-sectioning cuffs, re-seating buttonholes, re-cutting shoulderlines, and darting necklines. Now that I can wear tailored and bodycon dresses, I need to virtually rebuild them to a backwaist length of 14" when the average in ladies wear is 21".

Gloves? Kid's department.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    I count myself fortunate now to have big wide duck feet. :open_mouth: Still, I went from an 8.5 wide shoe to a 7.5 regular. I have to wonder if the trend toward larger and wider shoes is related to rising obesity numbers, because I had no idea that losing weight would make my feet smaller.

Hahahaha. Me neither. That came as a real surprise to me. I've been a 6 or 6.5 my entire adult life. I had no idea my feet would shrink.
    Clothes are indeed a PITA, one that has me contemplating a reorganisation of living space to set up a permanent sewing machine nook with a fitting dummy. It's not just re-hemming pants and skirts, it's re-sectioning cuffs, re-seating buttonholes, re-cutting shoulderlines, and darting necklines. Now that I can wear tailored and bodycon dresses, I need to virtually rebuild them to a backwaist length of 14" when the average in ladies wear is 21".

Same problem here. Taller women always think that it must be "no big deal" for petites because we can always just buy regular clothes and hem them. They don't understand that things like sleeve or pant hems are the easy part; the real problem is that the shoulders are too wide, the armholes too low, the back length too long, the waist hitting at the hips, etcetera.

I'm not nearly as skilled at sewing as you are. I do some quick fixes, but complicated alterations like the ones you mentioned are simply beyond my skillset. So I either splurge on tailoring ($$$$$ for the alterations mentioned above!) or wear things that don't fit properly.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", and not quite in maintenance yet, but working on getting there. I'm currently at 155, but my HW was 217. I want to lose 20-30 more pounds still. I'm confident that I will get there! This post helps motivate me by knowing that it is possible, and I will get there just like you all have. It is good to see what needs to be done for maintenance, because we all know that is really the hardest part of the journey.
  • segacs
    Options
    I'm 5'2", and not quite in maintenance yet, but working on getting there. I'm currently at 155, but my HW was 217. I want to lose 20-30 more pounds still. I'm confident that I will get there! This post helps motivate me by knowing that it is possible, and I will get there just like you all have. It is good to see what needs to be done for maintenance, because we all know that is really the hardest part of the journey.

Love your username. You've made fabulous progress! Keep at it... you'll get there. Just like life, it's about the journey, not the destination.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @segacs aww thanks :smiley: yes that's me...I workout hard and am proud of all I've achieved so far :smile:
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Good to see I'm not alone. It's hard for me to read about other people maintaining (and even losing) on 2,000 or more cals/day and I'm struggling with my TDEE of 1400 or so. I'm 5'3" hovering around 115, and I just can't let up on the cals at all if I want to lose even a couple more pounds. I don't want to think of it as a life of restriction, but I will always have to be more careful than my taller counterparts. It doesn't help that everyone else in my house is over 6' and has the metabolism of hummingbirds. Damn teenage boys, they can eat the metric equivalent of a dump truck....
  • segacs
    Options
    hcdo wrote: »
    It doesn't help that everyone else in my house is over 6' and has the metabolism of hummingbirds. Damn teenage boys, they can eat the metric equivalent of a dump truck....

Yeah, that's tough. Teenage boys eat crazy amounts of food.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm 5'1" and recently hit my goal weight after losing 50 pounds this past year. I'm aiming to maintain between 105-110lbs (I'm currently at 106), all the while working on fitness and strength goals to keep motivated.

I think that maintenance for us small shorties presents certain specific challenges. For instance, our maintenance calories tend to be lower than many larger people's deficit calorie goals. Restaurant portions are still too big for us even at maintenance, and our daily food intake still has very little room for error. Also, shopping for clothes is just as frustrating as it was before weight loss, 'cause I've shrunk in weight but I haven't grown in height.

I'm looking for some like-minded short small women like myself to add to my MFP feed for motivation and support. I've had tons of great support from the MFP community during my weight loss, and I'd like to continue that into what will hopefully be long-term maintenance.

Send me a friend request (not blank, please) if you're in the same boat.

Hello & Congrats!

I'm 4'10" & have maintained 2+ yrs now.

And you are absolutely right, things when you're 'fun' size is a little different.

Ann Taylor The Loft & The Limited has a fairly robust Petites section for clothes. Express sizes is also very accommodating to a smaller frame although not technically petite.

And Victoria's Secret was the only place I found XS undies which didn't have rainbows, hearts, & unicorns on them ... which there's nothing wrong with that if you like it. :D

After I lost the weight I also went to VS to get fitted properly for my new bra size. A good bra, especially for us minis can make a huge difference.

There is definitely an adjustment & re-figuring out what size from what brands fit, but honestly I didn't mind the process. I saw it as a reward for the hard work of losing 40 lbs.

Enjoy it & have fun with it!
  • segacs
    Options
    Fun size, LOL! Love it!

And thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately we don't have any of those retailers here in Canada (except VS, which doesn't fit me, but hey.)

I was looking forward to the "reward" after losing the 50 pounds. But it's starting to feel more like a punishment.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yessss!
    Im 5'1 and I maintain at 105.
    The worst part I think is the clothing. Nothing seems to fit right, everything is either too boxy, too flowy or to long!

However, my go-to place for jeans is target!
    They make 28in in seam jeggings that fir perfecty!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for oh, 11 years or so! ;) I'm 5'3" and 110 pounds, I fluctuate anywhere from 108-115 depending on the time of year but it mainly sticks right around 110. I keep active 4x a week in the gym (on average, plus walking every day mostly) to try to combat it, since I'm getting older these days, but I still really love eating and drinking my wine! My maintenance calories are typically 1500 on a non-gym day and 1800-1900 on a gym day, some days I'll eat less to save for a weekend when I know I will indulge, and it truly all evens out.

Oh and I pretty much only wear juniors clothing, size 0-5 depending, I like jeans with stretch since I have a booty, but I find that women's clothes do not fit me well at all!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Oooh bras,
    I have just trekked around trying to find a good strapless one. I have ended up with a 32D because nothing is available with a smaller strap. Sales advice- you can always take the strap in!!
    I ended up getting it but I feel as though I am strapped into a fortress, 4 hooks at the back, a new one for me. I am just about to try it with the dresses I want to wear it with and I have the odd feeling the back will be so bulky it will look like I have a mic pack down the back of my dresses.
    LaSenza used to do a great small strap 32, that fit like a 30. But of course now I need some new ones that line has been discontinued.

I hate all of you because you can buy shoes. I used to be able to buy at M&S when I was in the UK, but when I was there in the spring even their shoes were too big.

Segacs, your feet sound just like one of my sisters, within the adult size range, just, but really narrow.

Runrutheerun, I used to envy your calorie allowance, but the other week I went to visit my son and grandson, ate 2400 cals of heaven, and by the end of the day I thought I was going to explode.

I think in my normal day to day life my 1200-1400 cals suits me well, and though I drool over decadent things, I am happier having small samples of lots of tasty things, rather than an over abundance of calories.

I do go for fish and chips at the local pub every couple of weeks, 2 pieces of battered fish 175g each and tonnes of chips. I love it, never finish it, and know I am going to sit moaning about being bloated for the rest of the night. Well worth it though.

Sorry to natter on I am a west coast night owl so miss all the early east coast and beyond chatter when it happens.

Cheers, h.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Interesting posts.....I'm especially intrigued about the weight so many maintain at. I am 5'2" and my lowest weight was 122, which was quite skinny on me (overly skinny according to friends and family alike), yet so many on here are the same height and 15 lbs lighter!

I maintained at around 125 for 2 years before illness and personal stress derailed me and I ballooned back up to my max of 157. I'm currently at 137 and aiming to lose another 10-15 before maintaining.

The maintenance strategy that worked for me for those two years, was to keep to a weight loss calorie level (between 1100-1300) 4 or 5 days a week and then eat what I wanted (within reason, typically 1900-2400 calories) the other 2-3 days. This worked really well for me because it allowed for eating out and treats, but still balanced out overall to avoid gaining. Of course, I also weighed myself regularly and would adjust the ratio of diet and off days as needed. I plan to do this again once I get back to my maintenance weight.

@segacs We were just in Montreal this past weekend, our first time in Canada! :smile: You might want to try shopping across the border in Burlington, VT. It's only about a 2 hour drive and they don't even have sales tax on clothes in VT. You might also be able to order online and choose the ship to store option and pick it up in VT.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch ahh I have days when I feel ridiculously full too - Saturdays are my fish n chips plus cake day so I end up patting my really full tummy and feeling bloated but I really look forward to that weekly splurge :smiley: that's my 2400-2600 day, the rest of my week I average more like 1800-1950 (takes that to keep the overall weekly cals in check), I feel empty/lethargic if I eat less and I need to fuel my workouts.

I do think we get used to eating less over time.

You must have very small feet if M&S can't even sort you out :neutral: I love Dorothy Perkins and Debenhams....actually in the UK we have an abundance of terrific shops and most of them online too :smiley:

I guess cos I'm not very petite as I just don't have the same issues as a lot of you gals have when it comes to buying clothes/shoe's and just as well as I LOVE to shop (much to the annoyance of my hubby lol)

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch ahh I have days when I feel ridiculously full too - Saturdays are my fish n chips plus cake day so I end up patting my really full tummy and feeling bloated but I really look forward to that weekly splurge :smiley: that's my 2400-2600 day, the rest of my week I average more like 1800-1950 (takes that to keep the overall weekly cals in check), I feel empty/lethargic if I eat less and I need to fuel my workouts.

I do think we get used to eating less over time.

You must have very small feet if M&S can't even sort you out :neutral: I love Dorothy Perkins and Debenhams....actually in the UK we have an abundance of terrific shops and most of them online too :smiley:

I guess cos I'm not very petite as I just don't have the same issues as a lot of you gals have when it comes to buying clothes/shoe's and just as well as I LOVE to shop (much to the annoyance of my hubby lol)

I'm right there with you! The smaller I get, the easier it is to shop, since the smaller clothes go on clearance. But then, we're definitely not nearly the same size as some of the others on here. :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Runrutheerun, the rest of my family is in the UK. You should see my visits, usually lots of clothes, some shoes, shopping, and an extra suitcase to bring it all home with.
    I do think clothing in the UK is made to a slightly shorter average height.

Here is a question for anyone that's lifting. Has your back got much broader?

This is back to the bra shopping again, and dresses to a certain extent.
    My back/ under breast measurement was almost 30 when I initially lost weight, now it is a solid 31, without a weight gain. I like to think I am doing the slowest recomp in history. Any input?

Don't you just love comparing peccadillos with others that can identify.

Cheers, h.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Runrutheerun, the rest of my family is in the UK. You should see my visits, usually lots of clothes, some shoes, shopping, and an extra suitcase to bring it all home with.
    I do think clothing in the UK is made to a slightly shorter average height.

Here is a question for anyone that's lifting. Has your back got much broader?

This is back to the bra shopping again, and dresses to a certain extent.
    My back/ under breast measurement was almost 30 when I initially lost weight, now it is a solid 31, without a weight gain. I like to think I am doing the slowest recomp in history. Any input?

Don't you just love comparing peccadillos with others that can identify.

Cheers, h.

I'm not lifting at the moment (medical reasons) but when I finished losing I ended up at a 28<insert absurd cup size>. I'm 5'1 & 130 and that was just too much for me. I had a reduction/lift and gained went to a 30 - surgeon said putting everything back where it belonged made the difference.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What would you guys say is the maximum 'modern healthy weight' for a 5'4" 40year old woman?