What are your views on SLIMFAST milkshakes??

Options

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My basic knowledge of ingredients doesn't catch anything NutraSweet/ aspartame looking in here:

Filtered Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Corn Maltodextrin, Less than 2% of: Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Cocoa Powder (Processed w/ Alkali), Sucrose, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium

can you tell me if I'm missing it? If one of these items is really a clever disguise for bad things?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Oh no, does Myoplex use artificial sweetener? That would explain why it is still tasty with low sugar. :frown: I really don't like to use anything artificial if I can avoid it, I'm gonna re-read that drink label again.

It contains sucralose and acemulfame-k. Sucralose is widely believed to be harmless. Acemulfame-K is also widely believed to be harmless, but I read one thing about acemulfame-k recently that indicates it might be harmful. But the study involved rodents and the pumped them full of some insane level every day (something like 1000 diet coke's worth or something). Honestly, they are probably quite harmless, and we can probably drink them till the day we die and be quite healthy. But since I use these products every single day, and sometimes 2-3 times a day, I'm trying to stay on the side of caution.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    My basic knowledge of ingredients doesn't catch anything NutraSweet/ aspartame looking in here:

Filtered Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Corn Maltodextrin, Less than 2% of: Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Cocoa Powder (Processed w/ Alkali), Sucrose, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium

can you tell me if I'm missing it? If one of these items is really a clever disguise for bad things?

Hmm, which product is that exactly? Is that just the 100% Whey product? I was referring to EAS Myoplex "Original" chocolate

Original Chocolate Cream Ingredients: Myopro (a Unique Blend of Whey
    Protein from Specially Filtered and Ion-Exchanged Whey Protein
    Concentrate and Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate,
    Sodium Caseinate, Alpha-Ketoglutaric Acid, Egg Albumin, Taurine and
    L-Glutamine), Maltodextrin, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Vitamin and
    Mineral Blend (Tricalcium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Potassium
    Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Choline Bitartrate, Disodium Phosphate, Beta
    Carotene, Dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic
    Acid, Ferrous Fumarate, Boron Proteinate, Manganese Gluconate, Biotin,
    Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate,
    Copper Sulfate, Chromium Citrate, Cyanocobalamin, Selenium Amino Acid
    Chelate, Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine
    Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride and Potassium
    Iodide), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Oat Fiber, Sunflower Oil,
    Carrageenan, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Mono
    and Diglycerides, Medium Chain Triglycerides and Soy Lecithin.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I drink the walmart brand shakes once in a while. they are cheaper and they taste a lot better with a lot fewer calories and sugar in them.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hmm, which product is that exactly? Is that just the 100% Whey product? I was referring to EAS Myoplex "Original" chocolate

It's a 14oz bottle called EAS Myoplex Nutritional Shake "chocolate creme" flavor. (Because for some reason the vanilla creme tastes like coconut???)
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use the canned Slimfast shakes from time to time as a fill in..
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For me the slim fast had way too much sugar, the atkins advantage also for some reason raised my blood sugar as I am diabetic. I use to drink the EAS- 17 gram protien ones as they were perfect before a walk or as a snack at 110 calories and only 4 carbs, and would quickly lower a high sugar for me, but recently I read a consumer reports article that tested the top protien drinks for arsenic, lead, mercury and cadmium. This had the highest level of arsenic and cadmium in it. So I stopped drinking any. I am sticking to real food and not packaged products when I can from now on, that way I can be sure whats in something.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

It's a 14oz bottle called EAS Myoplex Nutritional Shake "chocolate creme" flavor. (Because for some reason the vanilla creme tastes like coconut???)

Sarah,
    Hmm, something doesn't seem right with the ingredients you listed. Were those off the side of the package? I don't even see whey listed there. Here's a listing for the RTD Myoplex http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/rtd.html
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i prefer to just... drink the special k drinks. no after taste and they aren't high in calories i like them especially after a workout lol i'm not a fan of the slimfast
  • storybookcreator
    Options
    I bought a case a week ago and have lost 5 lbs...I'm sure it's mostly water but it has really kicked started my weightloss again. Now the challenge will be to keep this diet going and/or transition into normal foods with the same amount of calories.

I like that I can just pickup the can and go. I happen to like the taste, so that has contributed to my success so far.

I like the french vanilla flavor 3-2-1 plan...just 180 calories with 18g of sugar

3 nourishing snacks
    2 shakes (breakfast and lunch)
    1 sensible 500 calorie dinner...and the site provides sample recipes
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I prefer making my own shakes/smoothies. It's pretty easy and you can control the amount of sugar depending on the ingredients you put in.

I make my kids a great strawberry/banana smoothie w/ greek yogurt and on my rush days I'll make myself a banana & almond butter smoothie.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Slimfast shakes for breakfast or lunch if I was in a hurry but they've always made me feel sick so I don't bother with them anymore. I'd rather make my own smoothies.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    A lot have already mentioned this but they're so high in sugar they're basically worthless as a meal replacement or protein addition.

Go for something like Muscle Milk Light or EAS Carb Control instead. Both conveniently available by the case at Sam's Club :D
  • hlwill45
    hlwill45 Posts: 3
    Options
    I sometimes have a shake for breakfast...its kinda high in sugar for me but once in a while its ok. I dont mind the taste, but I do not add the whole scoop of powder, I use about half and I find it tastes better.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the taste of some of the flavors, but...

Pay attention to the word SHAKE. As in, shake before opening/drinking. Vigorously. Repeatedly. I didn't once and got a thick pile of sludge left over at the bottom. ICK!
  • jackwooness
    Options
    I've never had a problem with Slimfast. I have a strawberry powder shake every morning for breakfast and then a ready made one for lunch and it's always tasted fine to me. And it's worked for me too! :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    youre as well off eating icecream and having a vitamin tablet with it.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Slimfast tastes and smells horrible, and basically is pretty much just sugar and vitamins.
    Eeeeewwwwww.
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been using slimfast for my weekday lunch. It works really well and I have a fruit snack mid afternoon to tide me over until dinner time.
    I'm using the ready made 321 bottles (strawberry) and they taste a lot better than the ones I used to use a few years ago.

Check my diary if you want...
  • bite_me
    bite_me Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep a can of powdered Slimfast (vanilla) in the cupboard, and make a shake maybe once or twice a week for breakfast, because sometimes I'm running late for work and it does the trick. Added to the non-fat milk, it gives me 10 gr of protein and 5 gr of fiber, which seem to be enough to keep me full until lunchtime. I don't think I could handle having two of them every day instead of meals, though.