How many calories?

Options
I know everyone says just type the food into search....but there is so many options!!

If I have 4 oz of uncooked egg whites how many calories?
If I have 5.3 oz of frozen grapes how many calories?

These are tedious questions, but I bought a scale yesterday to weigh my foods and now I feel more confused lol!

Please no harsh comments, this is a place for learning not putting down. I already realize I'm extremely uneducated about this.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you find the entry for grapes, it should have the option to choose the unit of measure (example: 1 ounce). You would enter that you had 5.3 servings of 1 ounce each. If the entry you find doesn't have a weight measure available, look for one that does.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I try to use the barcode feature on as many foods as I can. Also if it has a green check mark next to it, it means a good amount of nutritional info has been entered, so it's more likely to be accurate. It can be tough sometimes.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    CaseyGwaltney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! thanks :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually search for USDA entries. For grapes I would enter "usda green grapes," for example. You can also look on the USDA's website to compare the MFP entry to the official info to be sure that you are picking a good entry. Keep in mind that users can add entries to the MFP database and many are not accurate.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Food scales are great! It's the best way to measure nuts.