Struggling..

Options
Just need some advice. I'm 42lbs overweight. I really really want to lose weight, but I struggle with my eating. I don't have a lot in my life and when I finish work I just watch tv in the evening and eat.
Can anyone help?

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Get more in your life. Hobbies, friends, things to do, etc. Will power will be a big thing for you on your journey.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Just need some advice. I'm 42lbs overweight. I really really want to lose weight, but I struggle with my eating. I don't have a lot in my life and when I finish work I just watch tv in the evening and eat.
    Can anyone help?

What is stopping you from getting out and getting a life in the evenings? From going for a walk, run, bicycle ride, or finding a hobby, with or without exercise involved, to keep you busy?
  • Ginnygirl5
    Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about yoga? It's good for you and you can still watch t.v. :) I've been thinking of doing it myself after I get off work at 10:30 at night. Plus try a cup a tea
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I stop myself. I think I'm my own worse enemy. I worry that I look like an eejit on my bike, or just a fat woman.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to change things up! Read a book, pick up a new hobby, go out for a walk, maybe check out local groups in your area to meet some new people. Do something other than sitting around watching tv if you know that it will make you eat. Yes, it is going to take some effort to get out of the habit but it will be worth it.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    I stop myself. I think I'm my own worse enemy. I worry that I look like an eejit on my bike, or just a fat woman.

Let people judge positively or negatively as they wish. That's fine, don't let it stop you from doing what you want.

Besides, whenever I see someone overweight working out, even just walking, I have to stop myself from offering a high five.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

Let people judge positively or negatively as they wish. That's fine, don't let it stop you from doing what you want.

Besides, whenever I see someone overweight working out, even just walking, I have to stop myself from offering a high five.

I feel the same way. I think "Good for them!"
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 100lbs over weight I was amazed at the encouragement I got from total strangers while out running, or well at that point jogging...You could try some sort of water exercise at your local pool, once you are in the water everyone looks about the same size.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Join a gym. Drive there when you leave work, do some treadmill walking or whatever looks funnest and then go home.

Start working on incorporating more fruits and veggies into your diet.

Maybe sign up for a class in something you'd like to learn. New language, car repair, whatever. Community college, local through the Y or the library, whatever. Go do stuff.
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fitness classes! This is an awesome way to get a GREAT workout and meet some friends while doing it! I love going to spin and other classes at my local gym and I always end up hanging out after and chatting with a friend I made there. It might be worth a shot taking a look at some classes that appeal to you :)
  • Jeanieh91
    Jeanieh91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help?
    Just take one day at a time. It's like preparing for a journey, you pack your bags w/a few things, just the most important things in that one small bag. Same thing w/ your kitchen and pantry. If you won't np buy it, you won't eat it. Just remember that food doesn't own you. You decide what kinds of foods you'll eat. Pack the kitchen w/only the 4-5 most important foods in the food pyramid. And remember, set aside the allotted daily portions for each day, eating for only one day at the time. And, go out for daily walks, even if it's only foe 15-20 mins. a day. Cheers!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You're young - do as people advise, get out and do things and meet people.

On nights when you are in front of the goggle box learn to knit (very trendy now) which will keep your hands busy and away from your mouth.

Make sure you have enough calories to have a really satisfying dinner and one [not too high cal] evening snack of something you really enjoy.

You can do it!!!
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    Another thing you can try, on days you just can't drag yourself out of the house, is to replace the TV with all the internet resources available on nutrition and exercise. Maybe start with TED Talks, every way of eating imaginable is discussed. There are also lots of lectures for laypeople, doctors, and medical students all over the place, absolutely free. I find it not only educational, but motivating as far as eating in a way that is healthful for me and getting my butt out of my chair to get some exercise.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You do not have to go out to work out. I am trying to walk 10,000 steps per day. In the evening, I watch TV and march in place. I have taken up adult colouring books, so that keeps my hands busy. If you can afford it, try Curves. If I have not been there for a while (7 to 10 days) I get a phone call from them. The work out is just 30 minutes. There are a number of women I have conversations with. Look into local recreations programs. It does not have to be exercise. I have a travelogue class coming up, with people who have traveled to different countries. There is a film festival, with one film per month that I am attending. The more you do, the more you are able to do.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I keep a garden going and there is always a weed to pull or something to do. My scrapbook project is set up and waiting. My dog likes walks. I always have a vacation planned with a friend, so we call and have long conversations. So make projects. Eat at the table only! No couch munching allowed. Make your couch a calorie free zone. Balance your tv time with exercise time. And just don't keep unhealthy snacks in the house.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's really sound advice! Thank you lovely people.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My hobbies all involve sitting down and I have a very sedentary job. For me, I just had to tell myself that the constant sitting around and eating wasn't going to get me my results - my goal was too important to me.

I still spend a lot of the day sitting down at work, I still surf the net and spend hours reading my books - But I make sure my food is tracked, logged and I am eating at that deficit, first and foremost. Since I'm so stationary, I make sure I fit in AT LEAST 30 minutes of exercise (running/weight lifting) 4 times a week.

It really is the case of 'how badly do you want this'. Sometimes it just takes a bit of deep digging to find that willpower but you'll find it, I promise :)
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We're all eejits on bikes. Do you have computer access? Find some free workout videos on youtube and do them in your living room. I like Fitness Blender. Check out a couple workout DVDs free from the public library. If you're comfortable at home, it's okay to exercise at home. Try to do something new each day, even if it's minor. Read one chapter of a book each day, try out a new recipe, take a walk around a few blocks, learn a new yoga pose, volunteer, organize a closet- anything to find happiness in your own skin. Be good to yourself.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

I do look like an idiot when I exercise, and often when I am just having fun. What I find is that people actually like that side of me, I don't know if it is because everyone likes to have someone that makes them look good, or because I am happy while I do it. If you enjoy something you can't let opinion stop you. On that note come ride bikes with me, I am sure to make you look good :)
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know i look like a complete dork when i'm huffing, puffing and sweating it out! LOL But I simply do not care what other people think. I am goofy by nature and i've come to understand it and embrace it. :) I have huge boobs and i ran for a little along my walk... I RAN! It was epic and the world didn't end, no one pointed or laughed and i lived to tell the tale! Get out there, i promise you'll love it!