1,200 Calories or less

Options
Are anyone's calories set lower than 1,200? Or does anyone eat less than 1,200?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My plan is 1244, more if I exercise.

Some days I'm over, some days I'm under.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1200 is a default minimum based upon nutritional guidelines. 1200 is also based upon zero exercise.

Plenty of women eat more and still lose weight.....your choice.

Aggressive weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. If you just want a number on the scale quickly....the lower the better. HOWEVER, healthy weight loss is about lowering your body fat %. Google skinny-fat.....only the scale looks good.

Instead of accepting 1200 do some research. Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).....that's maintenance including exercise. Then select a moderate weekly goal.........

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range (subtract 1000)
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range (subtract 500)
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range (subtract 250)

Unless you are very petite and/or a senior lady.....you can eat more than 1200+exercise and still lose weight. Your choice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No sorry to lose weight I can eat 1800 a day...to maintain it's anywhere between 2200 and 2600 depending on my activity...I can't imagine eating less...well I can as I have done it by mistake a couple times and I was weak and suffered for 2 or 3 day afterwards...
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do about 1,000 a day, only because my body won't lose the 2 pounds a week at 1200. I have been doing this for 7 years now and have lost 200 pounds as of today. Just listen to your body.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1,000-1,200 and then 2,000 on Saturdays. I look at it as a weekly deficit and it balances out to 1 lb loss a week for me.
  • MommyandStinky
    MommyandStinky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have also set myself for 1,000 however I do know 1,200 is the default minimum. Just wasn't sure if I might had been the only one to go lower. I read an article about it not being healthier to go lower than 1,200 but I don't feel any less active at 1,000
  • MommyandStinky
    MommyandStinky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Jg04811 wrote: »
    I do about 1,000 a day, only because my body won't lose the 2 pounds a week at 1200. I have been doing this for 7 years now and have lost 200 pounds as of today. Just listen to your body.

200 lbs that is awesome! Good for you!! :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have also set myself for 1,000 however I do know 1,200 is the default minimum. Just wasn't sure if I might had been the only one to go lower. I read an article about it not being healthier to go lower than 1,200 but I don't feel any less active at 1,000

I fail to see the point of eating 1000 if it's likely you could lose weight eating more.
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    National Institutes of Health: Healthy Eating Plan
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/eat/calories.htm

"To lose weight, most people need to reduce the number of calories they get from food and beverages (energy IN) and increase their physical activity (energy OUT).

For a weight loss of 1 - 2 pounds per week, daily intake should be reduced by 500 to 1,000 calories. In general:

Eating plans that contain 1,000 - 1,200 calories each day will help most women lose weight safely.

Eating plans that contain 1,200 - 1,600 calories each day are suitable for men and also may be appropriate for women who weigh 165 pounds or more or who exercise regularly.

If you eat 1,600 calories a day but do not lose weight, then you may want to cut back to 1,200 calories. If you are hungry on either diet, then you may want to boost your calories by 100 to 200 per day. Very low calorie diets of fewer than 800 calories per day should not be used unless you are being monitored by your doctor."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why did you set your goal that low?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1000 cals. I had no luck at 1200. This works great. I judge by steady loss at 2 lbs per week.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,015 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.