Getting through the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    shor0814 wrote: »
    This conversation came up the gym this morning when a guy asked if I ever get sore. I explained that I am seldom not sore and the bodybuilder next to us added "I've been sore for 20 years and wouldn't change it for anything".

Soreness reminds me that I have limits that I have to keep pushing and reminds me that life isn't easy.

7.) foam roll if you can- when you really have DOMS- there is not foam rolling- that's just laughable- but roll if you can. LOL

Wut? Myofascial release...... Do you even roll bro?
    um- yes- yes I do. I roll 3-4 times a week- 2x in PT and then when I can on my own.
    But when you have the "I haven't lifted in 3 months and I just squatted yesterday" kind of doms- rolling is a joke. It's like you try to roll- but mostly you just try not to cry. I'm a big believer in rolling- but rolling with that kind of deep tissue doms sucks.
    This conversation came up the gym this morning when a guy asked if I ever get sore. I explained that I am seldom not sore and the bodybuilder next to us added "I've been sore for 20 years and wouldn't change it for anything".

Soreness reminds me that I have limits that I have to keep pushing and reminds me that life isn't easy.

which is funny- because I rarely get sore.

I'm ACHY- constantly. that is part and parcel of being an athlete- but I rarely get SORE. I have to go out of my way to get myself sore.

But back to the question at hand.
    1.) don't over do it.
    2.) hydrate
    3.) don't stop doing it
    4.) water water water
    5.) don't just stop working out b/c your sore- make sure you continue your plan with reasonable thought (if you're legs are so sore you can barely crawl to the head- perhaps a day of rest and a back day instead of more squats is a wiser path)
    6. water
    7.) foam roll if you can- when you really have DOMS- there is not foam rolling- that's just laughable- but roll if you can. LOL
    8.) light stretching
    9.) water

that' what I got.

Achy, sore, pick a term but as long as it isn't a"bad" pain you just get used to it. After a few weeks of exercise it will be much less intense so keep working out and you will be through it.

I don't consider them to be the same- while I agree with you as long as you aren't HURT you'll be fine.

But just like anyone else whose been lifting/doing a thing for years- I don't get sore unless I'm doing something drastically different. On the other hand- I'm achy all the time.

Being sore from new movement is NOT the same as achy.
  • My worse soreness comes on a LEG day. I found a tip to get on the bike after leg workout and helps remove lactic acid which causes the soreness. I was very skeptical as doing a cardio exercise like stationary bike did not sound appealing after a hard leg workout. I tried it, found out it really works and it is now a regular part of leg day routine. Just get on the bike for 10-20 mins easy pace using light resistance and pedal it out. Trust me it works!
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Light cardio, stretching, and lots of water. DOMs become less of a problem the longer you lift. When you first start lifting, it could take up to a week, but a year in, you will be recovered in less than 48 hours likely

I have to work so hard just to get DOMS that last the next morning lol. You start to love the pain after a while and it becomes an addiction.

#MeatHeadProbs
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    1. Drink plenty of water
    2. Soak in a hot bath and add epsom salt if able (I soak 2x a day if needed)
    3. Gentle stretching and then light weight lifting using those same muscles to help work out those aches
    4. Rest - I sometimes allow myself an extra rest day (while making sure to still meet my step goal)
    5. I also will take a natural supplement I found at Whole Foods that has anti-inflammation ingredients. It seems to take the edge off some of the worse DMOS symptoms.
    6. Make use of the heating pad if needed. Sometimes, my butt and thighs are sore and yes, I will sit on the heating pad :)
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Drink massive amounts of water jk just drink lots of it, getting a massage (or foam roll), bathe in Epsom salt, do some light activity like walking, and stretching. What I do most of the times is I take Glutamine pre, intra, and post workout to speed my recovery. Here is an info about it http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/boost-workout/truth-about-glutamine
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I usually recommend just sucking it up (giggity).
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    I think it depends on your body. When I first started I could barely walk down stairs after leg day... Now I feel a little s

Wut? Myofascial release...... Do you even roll bro?

haha lold
  • TrainingToBeAJedi
    TrainingToBeAJedi Posts: 39 Member
    My worse soreness comes on a LEG day. I found a tip to get on the bike after leg workout and helps remove lactic acid which causes the soreness. I was very skeptical as doing a cardio exercise like stationary bike did not sound appealing after a hard leg workout. I tried it, found out it really works and it is now a regular part of leg day routine. Just get on the bike for 10-20 mins easy pace using light resistance and pedal it out. Trust me it works!

This I shall try - thanks.

• mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    lol I know this thread is old but I recently discovered that after some stretching and rolling, resting on a comfy bed or couch with an electric blanket (set low) felt really good! It's like the gentle radiating heat melted away some of the soreness. Good luck! :)