Help?? I'm confused

Options
Ok so I started out at 371lbs and dropped to 359lbs I've been lifting and doing cardio moderately this whole time... Now all of a sudden I weigh 367lbs BUT people tell me it looks like I'm losing weight (even tho I can't tell) ... Is it possible I gained muscle? Idk I just know I'm really trying to get under 300lbs and this was kind of discouraging...

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you start lifting weights, you retain water. The water helps your muscles go through the repair process. It's completely normal and nothing to get discouraged about. Keep it up and your weight will start dropping again.

In general, people will say that gaining muscle in a deficit isn't possible. However, you are in one of the groups who will likely gain muscle in a deficit. (Generally the groups are brand new lifters, overfat beginner lifters, and returning lifters.) So you may build muscle along the way but as long as you're eating in a deficit, your weight is going to trend downward because you'll be burning fat at the same time.

Good job so far!
  • nosweetpea
    nosweetpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you start lifting weights, you retain water. The water helps your muscles go through the repair process. It's completely normal and nothing to get discouraged about. Keep it up and your weight will start dropping again.

In general, people will say that gaining muscle in a deficit isn't possible. However, you are in one of the groups who will likely gain muscle in a deficit. (Generally the groups are brand new lifters, overfat beginner lifters, and returning lifters.) So you may build muscle along the way but as long as you're eating in a deficit, your weight is going to trend downward because you'll be burning fat at the same time.

Good job so far!

Thank you for passing your knowledge along. I just started lifting last week and I gained a little a day after working out. It just confused me but you made things a lot clearer. I have kind of giving up trying to understand my body. I just know that if I stick with more exercise and less food my body has to give in and let go eventually. Thanks again Glad you posted
  • Primetime5k
    Primetime5k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @jemhh Wow! I never knew that. Thanks for sharing that!
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing, weight is hovering around 300 but people are noticing muscle gain and weight loss after a year at the gym?