how do you keep a slim waist/ flat stomach?

Options
I find eating lower in carbs (130g or less a day) keeps my stomach and waist flat alongside exercise however sometimes I would like to eat more carbs. do any of you find you can eat a decent amount of carbs and keep a small waist/flat stomach?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes.

Carbs will cause some water retention but, other than that temporary phenomenon, they aren't an issue with having a flat stomach or small waist.

ETA: I eat over 500g of carbs on workout days and I've lost over 22 inches from my waist and am wearing the same size jeans as in high school.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat about 60% carbohydrates and I am very pleased with my waist and stomach. I don't do anything special -- I just make sure that I consume calories in line with what I'm burning (I'm maintaining) and get regular exercise, including resistance exercise. My fiber consumption is pretty high too (40-50 grams per day) which may help.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The amount of fat that a woman carries around her stomach, as opposed to any other place, is genetically determined. The ratio of carbohydrates to fat or protein in the diet has nothing to do with it.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    The amount of fat that a woman carries around her stomach, as opposed to any other place, is genetically determined. The ratio of carbohydrates to fat or protein in the diet has nothing to do with it.

this. My fat clings to my thighs for dear life, but my stomach has nearly always been flat/lean.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have that too. If I eat a lot of rice or pasta over a couple of days, my stomach gets bloated. After a couple of days of water and less pasta/rice, it goes down again. It's strange how visibly different it is, even if my weight is the same.

I find it helps if I just have some with each meal rather than a lot at one meal. Spread it out a bit. If I eat it later in the evening, I can expect to wake up with a bloated stomach, but if I have dinner around 7:30 and then stick to not so carby evening snacks, my body digests it well enough before bed.

I think it basically turns into gas overnight for me hahahah. TMI?
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Eat an adequate amount of all three macros (carbs, protein, fat). Do not eat surplus calories.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Ha,
    You must be the nutritional advisor to the 52 million obese people

• elliedwyer17
    elliedwyer17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for responses! I just find my waist is usually an inch bigger when I eat more carbs (I go from 24-25 inches) however I am not satisfied on 130g or less. hopefully I can find a happy medium :)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Ha,
    Hopefully so. There would soon be fewer of them if they just ate at a deficit.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Ha,

If you have body fat, the distribution is genetically determined. If you want to reduce your body fat, you can do that while eating all three macronutrients.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    If I eat too many carbs I bloat. If I eat too much fruit I bloat. Maybe the sugars?
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eat low sodium and drink lots and lots of water.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If I eat too many carbs I bloat. If I eat too much fruit I bloat. Maybe the sugars?
    Maybe it's the cardio. Doesn't that make you bloat, too?

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I feel very good eating high-ish carb/all the carb I want. I've never had a flat stomach but my weight is not yet in a place where carb consumption would make a visible difference... :#
  • lauli22
    lauli22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find eating lower in carbs (130g or less a day) keeps my stomach and waist flat alongside exercise however sometimes I would like to eat more carbs. do any of you find you can eat a decent amount of carbs and keep a small waist/flat stomach?
    What kind of carbs? Have you ever considered that you might have a low tolerance of gluten? Try to eat gluten-free carbs and see what happens. If your stomach still get bloated maybe it's for the water retention and you need to drink more...(use some natural diuretics if necessary)

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I like carbs, so I eliminate nothing and use the overall fat loss to maintain my tummy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    my diet is largely modeled after the "mediterranean diet" which includes plenty of carbs...lots of veg, fruit, whole grains, legumes, lentils, potatoes, etc...i would guess that 50-60% of my diet is carbohydrates. i have a flat stomach and whatnot...