Ok runners, a question for you.

Options
I have always hated running. When I had to do mandatory PT running was some kind of torture.

However I've tried vibram five finger toe shoes and barefoot running style and found its not half bad. Enjoyable even. I was doing 2-3 miles 3 to 4 times per week with no issues.

This week I've felt good enough to keep going. First two times I pushed near 5 miles and I'm fine. Today I wanted to nail 5 but the second toe (pointer toe) on my right foot got a bit sore. I slowed down to a brisk walk but it didn't help.

I had 6 blocks to get home, by the time I got there I was limping. This evening there is little discomfort, but a quick run after my 3 year old made the pain shoot up my toe again.

I looked online and saw suggestions of loosening your shoelaces, which I don't have.

What's going on here?

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Vibrams are awesome BUT there's a learning curve for your bones and muscles. Unfortunately you may have done what the barefoot runners call "too much too soon" or TMTS. It's common, and the pain is likely your tendons adjusting to the new work they're doing.

I would back down, and maybe only do a mile or two in the Vibrams for a week or two once your foot feels better. You could also try spending more time barefoot in general, and ice your foot as much as possible. Then ease into longer distances. It takes a while for your feet to adjust to Vibrams, and you can't really rush the process. I've worn Vibrams on and off for several years, and even I get pains if I go from zero to lots of activity at once in them.

Crazy outlier question, but is your second toe bigger than your big toe? Could be that your toe is getting jammed, in which case you'd be better off with a different shoe or running barefoot instead. (You could try huaraches if that's the case).
  • MarkChandra
    MarkChandra Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll take it down a notch for a little while.
    My second toe is slightly longer than my big toe.
    I've nver hard of those, I'll check it out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's going on here?

Too much, too soon?

How long have you been doing the 2-3 miles?

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I usually do easy slow runs outdoors after years of not trying because of shin splins. Having felt like I conquered endurance, I tried going for speed on the indoor treadmill because I used to be a speedster. When I amped up the speed, it was much harder for me to recover and I felt pain that stopped my running for a few days. The terrain was different and it caused me to run differently and my body didnt adjust to it as yet. The change in your shoes probably adjusted your running style and your body hasnt adjusted yet.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have always hated running. When I had to do mandatory PT running was some kind of torture.

However I've tried vibram five finger toe shoes and barefoot running style and found its not half bad. Enjoyable even. I was doing 2-3 miles 3 to 4 times per week with no issues.

This week I've felt good enough to keep going. First two times I pushed near 5 miles and I'm fine. Today I wanted to nail 5 but the second toe (pointer toe) on my right foot got a bit sore. I slowed down to a brisk walk but it didn't help.

I had 6 blocks to get home, by the time I got there I was limping. This evening there is little discomfort, but a quick run after my 3 year old made the pain shoot up my toe again.

I looked online and saw suggestions of loosening your shoelaces, which I don't have.

What's going on here?

You doubled your mileage out of nowhere. It's a great way to get injured especially wearing those shoes if you aren't used to it.
    You probably injured your foot and will need to take a running break to heal.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Huaraches are minimalist running sandals. Here's one you can buy pre made: http://www.unshoesusa.com

And here's how to DIY: http://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-DIY-Huarache-Running-Hiking-Sandals/

And if you're looking for more details on minimal running: birthdayshoes.com
  • MarkChandra
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've had the shoes for 3 years, so I can't see that it's the shoe change. I do wear sneakers on occasion, but during warm months I usually wear them as my go to footwear.

I've run the lower mileage for about 3 weeks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Probably a fairly straightforward overuse injury. Given the lack of protection in those shoes it's more likely to happen if you don't build up steadily.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my running in a barefoot style minimalist shoe - Merrell Bare Access - which looks on the surface to be a standard running shoe though, not a five toe shoe. Such shoes feature low or zero heel to toe drop (encourages a forefoot / midfoot landing), often have a wider forefoot to allow toes to splay freely (stability), and minimal cushioning. Splaying toes naturally provides a lot of stability.

Do the Vibram shoes encase your toes? If so, I can't imagine having something surrounding my toes but imagine it's a love it or hate it thing.

I'm mentioning the existence of shoes like the Merrell (and many others) because if you find your toe(s) are being rubbed because they are encased, but like the minimalist shoe style, there are options.

Even though I put in hundreds of km monthly I mix up my shoes and run in traditional shoes that have a low or zero drop, too. IMO you can help avoid injury by mixing things up.
  • MarkChandra
    Options
    Probably a fairly straightforward overuse injury. Given the lack of protection in those shoes it's more likely to happen if you don't build up steadily.

I'll go back to a lighter mileage and work up. I thought I was ready simply because I wasn't worn out anymore.

Mwyvr, they don't irritate my toes at all they feel amazing. They DO let stuff in though if I walk a trail (even though they are called Keep Stuff Out versions) so I'll dump out powdered debris that can chafe.

I'm a fan of Merrell though, and would love to try more of their shoes.
    What do you mean by zero drop?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Zero drop refers to the difference in height of sole at the heel and at the toe. Many traditional shoes have quite a large difference (15mm or more). Shoes with low drop might be in the range of 4 to 6 or 8mm. And of course, shoes with no drop are zero drop.

Regardless of drop, a more minimalist shoe will also have a thinner sole or "stack height".

You can have a zero or low drop shoe with a very thick sole - for instance the Hoka Clifton has only a 5mm drop (they call it offset) but the sole is very thick 29mm at the heel.

In comparison the Merrell Bare Access 4 Street shoe is 0mm drop with 8mm cushioning total 13.2mm stack height.

Shoes with thinner soles offer less protection but protection isn't everything. Some find they are injured more with a less flexible shoe. I rather like a shoe I can bend easily and almost tie in knot. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I'll go back to a lighter mileage and work up. I thought I was ready simply because I wasn't worn out anymore.

About 10% increase in speed or distance per week, with a four weekly cutback, is about the most you should do until you've got a solid base behind you.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've had the shoes for 3 years, so I can't see that it's the shoe change. I do wear sneakers on occasion, but during warm months I usually wear them as my go to footwear.

shoes wear out and need to be replaced especially for running.

faqs re: shoes
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

If you've had the shoes 3 years, do they need to be replaced?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    If you've had the shoes 3 years, do they need to be replaced?

Possibly not with VFFs. They don't have any stack height or support to break down.

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    3 years wow. My trainers last 600 km at most (8-10mm) and moderately cushioned (but I mostly run on cement).
  • psychoartgirl
    psychoartgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also wear Vibrams and had a similar problem with my middle toes. They are also is longer than my first. I was told when buying them, that they should fit like a glove. However that is not true if you want to do more than walk in them. I ended up bleeding under my toenails and had to cut them down to the root. I love my Vibrams so I bought a new pair one size larger and it has solved the problem. I also keep my toenails very short, so they don't hit. Long story short, buy a new pair in a larger size.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM!!, but yep,,, bit at a time.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've been an avid runner now for about 7 years and tried those runners and personally do not like them. I don't think there's enough cushion with those type of runners. A few people I know who used them have had problems with soreness after as well. I would just go with a real good regular runner that feels good. I've always gone with a regular saucony runner and never had any problems. I run 5-6 days a week and do 10k every run including 7 half marathons.
  • MarkChandra
    Options
    Thanks folks. They haven't worn out yet, seasonal wear and I haven't been running in them for that long, just for the last couple months. Before that it was just casual wear.

If I ran that much in them, I wouldn't be 215 lbs lol.

I've got sneakers but I doubt they will work well.