High Protein Meals for Working Woman

Options
2»

Replies

• kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    An hour of prep time on Sunday can give you Mason Jar salads for the entire week. I put the dressing in the bottom of the jar. Hard veggies next like onions, cucmbers, olives, green peppers. Next protein. Diced ham or grilled chicken. Followed by lettuce or spinach or whatever greens u like. Top it with cheese. Pit em in the fridge. Each day grab one and go. When its time to eat, shake it up to mix the dressing around, pour in a bowl and eat.
  • KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think the mason jar idea is great going to try it this week.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    kdblpn wrote: »
    An hour of prep time on Sunday can give you Mason Jar salads for the entire week. I put the dressing in the bottom of the jar. Hard veggies next like onions, cucmbers, olives, green peppers. Next protein. Diced ham or grilled chicken. Followed by lettuce or spinach or whatever greens u like. Top it with cheese. Pit em in the fridge. Each day grab one and go. When its time to eat, shake it up to mix the dressing around, pour in a bowl and eat.

Would this also work in a glass Pyrex bowl? I don't have mason jars :smile: ?
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Question - do the ingredients really stay fresh all week? I'd be worried about the lettuce wilting. Also where do you buy Mason jars? Thanks!!
  • KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The ones i have i got at fred meyers. Used them for jar cookies but know i am going to try this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LisaTcan wrote: »

Question - do the ingredients really stay fresh all week? I'd be worried about the lettuce wilting. Also where do you buy Mason jars? Thanks!!

I can't answer for the lettuce (I've never tried Mason jar salads), but I have seen many different styles and sizes of Mason jars at my local Targets (if you're in the US).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Before I make suggestions, would you rather spend a couple hours Sunday afternoon prepping a bunch of things so your meals or easier to make during the week, or would you rather buy pre-convenienced things that essentially are healthy, but you mainly just throw in a pan, or would you rather food in your fridge be basically ready to eat as is without any prep from you?
    Tough question! I'm up for the couple of hours on Sunday. This week threw me off for Sunday prep due to last-minute appointments, so I'm also looking for food in my fridge that's easy to take to work for lunches, as well!

Before I started tele-commuting, I spent a few hours on Sundays cooking big batches of food that would get me through Thursdays. For example, you can roast a whole chicken, debone it, make stock with the bones, make soup with the stock you already made from the last batch of bones plus the dark meat, use the breast meat for sandwiches.

If that's too much fussing, bake a four pack of chicken thighs plus some baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. Add a veg and you have one meal now and three for later. Or bake four thighs with one recipe and another four pack with something wildly different. I used to alternate chicken with just bread crumbs and my own Thai Tandoori chicken - yogurt with Thai red chili paste instead of Indian spices. I'd have this with rice and bok choy and the other chicken with potatoes and broccoli. After it cooled, I'd put the food I was bringing to work in containers so I could grab and go in the AMs. So, I'd have one type of chicken for lunches and the other for dinners.

I would also make a batch of hard boiled eggs on the weekend to bring to work for snacks. I kept almonds in a jar in my desk and baby carrots in the frig.

I made Slow Cooker Burmese Chicken and Noodles yesterday with five boneless chicken thighs and will get five meals from it. I don't get sick of it, but it would freeze well if I needed a break. I used glass noodles to lower the carbs and calories. I add some steamed Swiss chard for a green cuz I have tons of that in my garden. Bok choy or broccoli rabe would go well too.

0958f8f8ee07243f5fc3f6756abccba2.png

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Skinned chicken breast, cubed. Diced onion, Red pepper or yellow pepper or asparagus (some veggie with color) cauliflower.

Saute the chicken, onion, and colorful veggie in a wok/frying pan until done. Remove to a bowl.

Grate cauliflower flowers. I use the grating atachment on my food processor bu you can use a grater with large holes. (this may make a mess, the cauliflower can fly all over.)

Saute the grated cauliflower in the pan for several (3-4) minutes until beginning to turn brown.

Add back chicken veggie mixture.

Chicken fried cauliflower rice. Use recipie builder to get your numbers Mine came out FAT: 4.6 g; CARBS 9g; PROTEIN 43.9g; CALORIES 251

Fridge to plate under 30 minutes.

Awesome recipe!!! I will be trying this; thank you! Does it keep and reheat well? I'd be looking to make it in bulk upfront and spread it between some tupperware for taking to work.

My daughter, (the Doctor ;-) takes it to lunch whenever I make it with no complaints. In fact, she makes lunch before dinner is over, making there are "leftovers".

BTW the "Vegitini" (as seen on TV) makes great shredded zucchinni for placing under all sorts of entrees, chicken, fish, burgers. So much better than slicing zucchinni and wilting it.

BTW, BTW working Men cook too ;-)
  • sarebear_91
    sarebear_91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wonderful idea! Thank you! Looks like I need to invest in some mason jars!
  • sarebear_91
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Before I make suggestions, would you rather spend a couple hours Sunday afternoon prepping a bunch of things so your meals or easier to make during the week, or would you rather buy pre-convenienced things that essentially are healthy, but you mainly just throw in a pan, or would you rather food in your fridge be basically ready to eat as is without any prep from you?
    Tough question! I'm up for the couple of hours on Sunday. This week threw me off for Sunday prep due to last-minute appointments, so I'm also looking for food in my fridge that's easy to take to work for lunches, as well!

Before I started tele-commuting, I spent a few hours on Sundays cooking big batches of food that would get me through Thursdays. For example, you can roast a whole chicken, debone it, make stock with the bones, make soup with the stock you already made from the last batch of bones plus the dark meat, use the breast meat for sandwiches.

If that's too much fussing, bake a four pack of chicken thighs plus some baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. Add a veg and you have one meal now and three for later. Or bake four thighs with one recipe and another four pack with something wildly different. I used to alternate chicken with just bread crumbs and my own Thai Tandoori chicken - yogurt with Thai red chili paste instead of Indian spices. I'd have this with rice and bok choy and the other chicken with potatoes and broccoli. After it cooled, I'd put the food I was bringing to work in containers so I could grab and go in the AMs. So, I'd have one type of chicken for lunches and the other for dinners.

I would also make a batch of hard boiled eggs on the weekend to bring to work for snacks. I kept almonds in a jar in my desk and baby carrots in the frig.

I made Slow Cooker Burmese Chicken and Noodles yesterday with five boneless chicken thighs and will get five meals from it. I don't get sick of it, but it would freeze well if I needed a break. I used glass noodles to lower the carbs and calories. I add some steamed Swiss chard for a green cuz I have tons of that in my garden. Bok choy or broccoli rabe would go well too.

0958f8f8ee07243f5fc3f6756abccba2.png

Oh my gosh, wonderful ideas! Thank you so much, this gives me some GREAT ideas to go off of this weekend when prepping
  • sarebear_91
    Options
    Skinned chicken breast, cubed. Diced onion, Red pepper or yellow pepper or asparagus (some veggie with color) cauliflower.

Saute the chicken, onion, and colorful veggie in a wok/frying pan until done. Remove to a bowl.

Grate cauliflower flowers. I use the grating atachment on my food processor bu you can use a grater with large holes. (this may make a mess, the cauliflower can fly all over.)

Saute the grated cauliflower in the pan for several (3-4) minutes until beginning to turn brown.

Chicken fried cauliflower rice. Use recipie builder to get your numbers Mine came out FAT: 4.6 g; CARBS 9g; PROTEIN 43.9g; CALORIES 251

Awesome recipe!!! I will be trying this; thank you! Does it keep and reheat well? I'd be looking to make it in bulk upfront and spread it between some tupperware for taking to work.

My daughter, (the Doctor ;-) takes it to lunch whenever I make it with no complaints. In fact, she makes lunch before dinner is over, making there are "leftovers".

BTW the "Vegitini" (as seen on TV) makes great shredded zucchinni for placing under all sorts of entrees, chicken, fish, burgers. So much better than slicing zucchinni and wilting it.

Shredded zucchini sounds right up my alley! I will have to take a look, thank you!

Haha, yes they do, indeed! I hope you didn't take offense to that! Adding 'woman' in the this title was purely for calorie intake and macro levels, as men typically need higher calorie and macros than women. Haha of course I expect men to need to cook although working, as well! ;-)
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can go to Costco and buy the already cooked hard boiled eggs. There are 6 boiled eggs per packet. If you get bored with it, there is an already cooked Shrimps in a bag at costco as well. In addition, you can get Chicken tenders in a bag. It is cheap, faster at thawing, and faster to cook (just put the chicken in a wheat wrap or whole grain bread). For a faster option, you can get Whey Protein Powder and have a banana on the go.
  • alcole2008
    alcole2008 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I make these each week and they are delicious! I do lite balsamic vinagrette, cucumbers, tomatos, broccoli, black beans (no access to microwave some days), romaine lettuce, and sometimes cheese depending on what I have planned for the rest of the day. There's so many ideas on pinterest for these too.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Shredded zucchini sounds right up my alley! I will have to take a look, thank you!

Haha, yes they do, indeed! I hope you didn't take offense to that! Adding 'woman' in the this title was purely for calorie intake and macro levels, as men typically need higher calorie and macros than women. Haha of course I expect men to need to cook although working, as well! ;-)

No offense. Just a little good natured fun Hence the ;-)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I put frozen protein (chicken, fish, soy) with frozen veggies in pyrex and microwave. I often toss in feta cheese or beans. And a little quinoa--I make a batch on the weekend. I microwave at 70% for a little more time. Cooks thoroughly without drying out.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    each week, I cook a family pack of chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) with salt & pepper and a bit of BBQ sauce on top. I then divide them up into tupperware containers of anywhere from 5-6 oz (and write the amount on the top of the lid in sharpie. Mondays, I bring all of them to work along with a bag of iceberg lettuce, spinach and tomatoes. I keep olive oil and balsamic at work too. that way, each lunch is a good portion of protein with a huge salad.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch of quinoa or quinoa/brown rice mix (cook in a rice cooker for perfect every time), then use it as a base, side dish, or garnish. I sauté a mixture of onion, red pepper, grated carrots, mushrooms, and any other veggies I have on hand. Season with garlic salt or Season-All or whatever you prefer, throw in with the quinoa & some chicken, and it's great hot or cold. I heat up a little of the quinoa/veggie mix & put a fried egg on top for breakfast.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Abby_C2014 wrote: »
    You can go to Costco and buy the already cooked hard boiled eggs. There are 6 boiled eggs per packet. If you get bored with it, there is an already cooked Shrimps in a bag at costco as well. In addition, you can get Chicken tenders in a bag. It is cheap, faster at thawing, and faster to cook (just put the chicken in a wheat wrap or whole grain bread). For a faster option, you can get Whey Protein Powder and have a banana on the go.

Do you know what section in Costco the pre-cooked hard boiled eggs were in? I went to the Costco by my work awhile ago and saw the hard boiled eggs, and when I went to the Costco by my house last weekend to look for them, I could not find them anywhere.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I put frozen protein (chicken, fish, soy) with frozen veggies in pyrex and microwave. I often toss in feta cheese or beans. And a little quinoa--I make a batch on the weekend. I microwave at 70% for a little more time. Cooks thoroughly without drying out.

How long does it take to cook the frozen chicken/fish and veggies in the microwave? I always forget to defrost my protein so I am interested in trying this.