Proats question

Options
Justifier
Justifier Posts: 336 Member
My go-to breakfast is oatmeal. I pre-portion it dry with all my mix-ins (sunbutter, chocolate, etc.) and take it to work every morning. We have a hot water dispenser at work that I use to cook the oatmeal.

Now I know that hot water can cause protein powder to denature and turn gross, so I was wondering the best way to make proats. I know I'll have to switch up my routine, but I find different ways to prepare it when I look online.

What's the best? Overnight? Cook oatmeal, then add powder? Microwave? How do you make it?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I cook my oats then add the powder and mix in the bowl. I think it really depends on the brand though, Quest powder mixes really well, but I've tried others and it turned out gritty.
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think overnight proats are better. . . I don't like protein powder in warm oatmeal, no matter the brand I just don't like the flavor of heated protein powder. I've read conflicting reports on the effects of heating protein powder. . . not sure what to believe. Try a vanilla protein powder and either pb2 or peanut butter, oats and almond milk with either some splenda / sugar / honey / maple syrup for a bit more sweet and cinnamon. I think it tastes great!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't like protein powder in oatmeal due to the taste, so I make two different kinds of proats:
    - Hot: 40g oats or 2 instant packs, 1/2c boxed egg whites, 1/2c Fairlife milk (high in protein), cook in microwave for 1 min, stir, cook for 30sec, stir, repeat until done
    - Cold/Overnight: 40g oats, 1c kefir + 1tbsp chia seeds + 15g almonds (less protein than hot)

As far as denaturing the protein when you heat it, there are lots of opinions out there. Personally I am trying to use less protein powder and I love egg white oats so that's my go to!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I mix mine in after I make the oatmeal. never hand any issues mixing protein into hot things. sometimes it does get a bit clumpy, but that's because I plopped the scoop in and then came back 5 min later to stir it.