Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Okay so I am thinking about getting a heart rate monitor so when I exercise at home I know how many calories I burn BUT I have no clue what I should be looking for. Any suggestions on good heart rate monitors that are not going to cost me a lot of money?

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, & it ran me about $90 with tax and all.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    bump
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4 it's a great HRM and I got mine for about $85. It's the best investment I ever made. Make sure whatever you decide, that you get one with a chest strap because if it doesn't have one, it's completely useless. I learned the hard way!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, my wife for it on sale for like $80 a while back. Its easy to use. Make sure you get one with a chest strap for accuracy. With HRMs you kinda get what you pay for so dont cheap too much.
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    New Balance N4 with chest strap got it at Target about $60 very happy with it
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    I purchased a Polar (brand) FT7 (model) about 2 months ago and it works well for what you'd be looking to use it for. It has a chest strap--you for sure want one with a chest strap for better accuracy no matter what brand/model you get! I ordered mine online from ****'s Sporting Goods and it was under $100. Make sure to google for any coupon codes for whatever store you buy from for discounts or free shipping to save a few bucks if you can!
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Hi,

I just got a Polar FT4 off ebay for £48. It's really simple to use and gives you cals burned but also how long you are working in your optimum bpm zone, so you can be sure you're burning fat not muscle.

I'd recommend it:smile:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The first thing is to make sure you get one with a chest strap. Ones without a chest strap are not accurate. I have a polar FT4. It was under $70 on Amazon.com and shipping was free. It allows you to enter your personal information such as age, sex, height, and weight. It allows you to track your last 10 exercise sessions. This allows you to keep track of your progress and improvement. It displays your heart rate, target heart rate zone, time in the zone, average heart rate, length of exercise session and calories burned. It is even waterproof. I use mine in the pool nearly every day. My HRM is one of the best investments I have made since I have started this new lifestyle. I hope this helps.

**I just added a new ticker, so I hope it displays properly.
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    New Balance N4 with chest strap got it at Target about $60 very happy with it
    this is the same HRM I got and I absolutely love it! haven't had a single issue with it.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4-- love love love it--- got it on Amazon- 65-70---- I agree with everyone-- chest strap and dont go to cheap-you get what you pay for. had a cheap wrist one-- Blllleeeecccchhhh- wasted 30$:explode:

good luck
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree - I am a newbie here (well, 2 months in) and last week I got a Polar FT4 from ebay for about $85. It has the chest strap. It's fairly simple to set up and use. I was surprised at how many calories I was ACTUALLY burning vs. what the MFP exercise database says.

I also like that it tells me when I am in the fat-burning zone and it beeps if I go out of the zone - I was working out so hard the other day and it started beeping at me because my heart rate was too FAST! So I slowed down a little to stay within that zone. It's like having a trainer there to help pace you.

Good luck!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, & it ran me about $90 with tax and all.

I got mine on sale for about $75, luckily. (at a sporting goods store in my area) and love it.

what is most important is one with the chest strap that will constantly monitor your heart rate and NOT just the wrist watch style that you have to keep touching so that it takes your heart rate that way. Constant monitoring with the chest strap is what makes HRM's accurate! I've read and tend to feel myself, that with HRM's you get what you pay for.

There are many even higher tech HRM's that are pricier than Polar, I didn't need all their features but some folks do. Garmin makes them so they will track your walking/running/biking on GPS maps, etc.

Good luck, it is a very valuable investment in your fitness plan - so go for it!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I love it!!! I got mine from Amazon for about $75. One of the best investments I have ever made. ;)