I'm not losing, very aggitated

Options
skyls
skyls Posts: 69 Member
I am very mad! I have logged in and tracked food for almost a month now, no cheating and not going over much at all, and have just maintained being 151/152 which is where I started. What am I doing wrong? I cut out eating junk on the weekend (cheating day), because I thought that was holding me back. According to MFP my calorie range is 1200, and I don't exercise. Yes, I know I "should" exercise, but I don't have the time. I am active during the day, cleaning house, and running around with my kids, mowing the lawn doing things like that.

I don't really know what else to do. I have PCOS and take metformin daily, so I think that should be under control. I see many people logging in "under calorie goal", is this the only way to lose weight?

I did weight watchers successfully a few years ago. I was able to lose 50+ lbs, no exercise, just eating basically the way I am now.

Suggestions?

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, there's always time for exercise and if you're not seeing results, that would be the first place I would start. :)
  • georgebrown10
    georgebrown10 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately exercise the one of the major keys. But also a major diet change! I am more than happy to assist you with a dietary plan and exercise plan you can do at home in your spare time. Let me know and we can arrange something.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you are very active maybe you aren't eating enough. Make sure your activity level is correct in the goals section.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, there's always time for exercise and if you're not seeing results, that would be the first place I would start. :)

I agree!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating with weight watchers, I know it's points but they had to have a rough calorie goal. I would try that as your calorie goal since you were successful with that amount before
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Did you personally set your goals on MFP or did they set it for you? I wonder if you aren't eating enough??
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would count the "lawn mowing" and "chasing kids around" as exercise and I would be eating those extra calories...so try that for a week, eat the calories you've earned from those activities during the day and that might speed up your metabolism...it might be that you are not eating enough.....and also watch your sodium intake, that makes a huge difference for me. Good luck, Please do not give up :flowerforyou:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Agreed, exercise is incredibly important. It increases your metabolism and allows you to burn more calories throughout the day. While it's good that you are active throughout the day, you need to be doing actual sets of cardio and strength training to really see results. Muscle burns more calories while resting than fat does so strength training is crucial to losing weight and keeping it off in the future.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Exercise is definitely part of what is allowing my success. Even if you can only get a walk away the pounds video and do it for 30 minutes. Also, I definitely try to go under my calories at least a little bit, and when I exercise I eat back some of my calories, but not all of them. On workout days I try to leave about 400-600 calories on my "plate". On non workout days I try to leave 100-200 calories unused.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Just go for a walk it does help. :)
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you have MFP set to lose 2lbs per week? If it is, set it to 1lb per week and give that a try. Losing weight is more in changing your diet, but exercise isn't a bad thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13821677/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/weighing-diet-vs-exercise-losing-pounds/

It is simply calories in being less than calories out. MFP builds a deficit in for you, so you don't need to really worry about that.

And to the person who made the unhelpful remark about there always being time for exercise? :-P Unhelpful comment is unhelpful. I have been the person with no time for exercise. Sleep, and being able to actually spend time with my family is important to me.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You must exercise! There is no way around it. If your kids are the age to ride in a stroller push the stroller while you walk. Put them in a wagon while you walk. Hold their hand while you walk. Do jumping jacks during commercials. If you have cable TV with On Demand go to Exercise TV and pick out a video to exercise to. If not, go to excercisetv.com, they have hundreds of free exercise videos to use. Join your local Y. They provide day care while you exercise. If you don't have the money to join ask for a sponsored membership...it is practically free. There is just no excuse not to exercise. You owe it to your kids. Your actions are teaching them how to live. Model for them what it is to love themselves by eating healthy and exercise regularly. You can even get them involved and have them exercise with you. Your kids need to exercise too. Even if they are little you can get them to move around with you. If you want this bad enough you will make it work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can almost bet you that you aren't eating enough calories. As you approach your goal, you need to decrease the deficit of calories. Also, it becomes harder without exercise. I guarentee you that, you can probably take 30 minutes at home to workout. I would suggest to increase your calorie intake by 200 calories to 1400. Do this, it has helped me and others several times while you are plateauing

Go into your goals and select custom. And set:

Calories: 1400
    Carbs: 50%
    Protein: 30%
    Fat: 20%
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately exercise the one of the major keys. But also a major diet change! I am more than happy to assist you with a dietary plan and exercise plan you can do at home in your spare time. Let me know and we can arrange something.

I'd definitely appreciate some help if that's an open offer! I feel a bit the same, dieting and exercising and not seeing much happening!
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi here,

Check out this thread (my post last week and all the responses). http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/251485-so-confused-and-disheartened

I am in the same boat as you. Around 150 lbs, tracking calories for 2 months and even doing more exercise and not seeing any results. Bottom line of all the advice I got (both here and from others) is that when at a healthy weight you will not lose weight quickly by just "eating right". You will lose weight doing this, but slowly. Which is fine, and good to do no matter what.

To get faster results, I was told to do more cardio - to get my heart rate up in the fat-burning zone for 30-40 minutes per day at least 3 times per week. So last week I got a heart rate monitor (HRM) and some cardio DVDs. Very helpful and I am looking foreward to melting away some weight soon!

Oh yeah, I also splurged ($40) and bought a better scale. My old one was a dial scale and this one is digital. It is much easier to read and I believe it is more accurate. I checked the scale at my YMCA and both it and my new scale said I was 3 lbs lighter than my old dial scale. So that got my motivation going again.

I wish you all the best. Friend me if you want and we can encourage each other!

A.
  • lindsayglazer
    Options
    I totally feel you. I take cytomel, and glucose pills work out 6 days a week with cardio and four times a week with weights. I have lost two pounds (and three inches) and some fat while I watch friends eat like crap and lose weight without any effort. It is very frustrating. Calories are not the only important thing when trying to lose weight with our condition you also cannot eat to much glucose or carbs which are also sucrose, dextrose, sucralose, malodextrin etc. Eat lean protein (within your calorie count). I have been tracking for months now too. Also, make sure when you work out you aren't "overtraining" e.g. working too far above your heart rate which cause increases in glucose and burns sugar instead of fact. Try and focus on inches and size of close and work on mind/body connection and positivity. Also, try a different exercise. Also, switch up your eating-if you eat tuna or something like that every day switch to shrimp instead. Overall, I know how it feels and it definitely sounds like you have a metabolic syndrom -I would go do a biofit test and see if your adrenals are functioning. I am NOT doctor. I am just giving you my experience. Hope this helps and keep your head up
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I looked through your food diary. The first thing I noticed is that you are regularly going over your daily sugar goal by almost double. You could try to cut down on your sugars and that may help. The second thing I noticed is that you are getting breakfast which is great, but it is not very substantial. When I made the switch from eating a light breakfast to eating a hearty breakfast (nearly 1/3 of my daily 1,200 calorie goal), I dropped almost 10 lbs in 3 weeks (without exercise). Try increasing the amount of protein at breakfast to keep you fueled throughout the day.
  • lindsayglazer
    Options
    also, pcos is very difficult syndrome. just talked to my cousin, who is a doctor, and she said even with good meds people have a lot of troubel losing weight.
  • bex879165
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same weight for three weeks now! & then put a lb on this week. Makes me feel like giving up!! I'm enjoying walking lots and where I've had a few bad food days in my diary i've knuckled down this week and am going to stay strong and lose this weight!! There are loads of dvd's and stuff you could do at home. I walk with my dog and 1 year old in the pushchair so if the weather's bad it's a bit of a no no!! I go on my Wii fit if I can't get outside. I'm also doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS which is tough but i'm only on day 6 and can feel inches disappearing already, even though my weight is not going down. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck!! :-)
  • bex879165
    Options
    I looked through your food diary. The first thing I noticed is that you are regularly going over your daily sugar goal by almost double. You could try to cut down on your sugars and that may help. The second thing I noticed is that you are getting breakfast which is great, but it is not very substantial. When I made the switch from eating a light breakfast to eating a hearty breakfast (nearly 1/3 of my daily 1,200 calorie goal), I dropped almost 10 lbs in 3 weeks (without exercise). Try increasing the amount of protein at breakfast to keep you fueled throughout the day.

Breakfast is definitely the most important meal!! I didn't used to have any at all!

Well done bjohs - only 4lbs to go!!! I can't wait to get to that stage :-)