meal plan?

Options
My biggest challenge is not knowing what foods to purchase to help with my weight loss. Which is funny because I work at a grocery store (trader joes). If given a meal plan I can definitely stick with it just don't know what to get. Perhaps chicken fish, of course fruits and vegetables. Should I cut bread? Also should I follow the idea don't wait til your full to stop eating just as you shouldn't wait til you're hungry to eat? All suggestions welcome.

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can eat all your normal foods but you have to fit them into your calorie goal. I would try to pick foods that can:

1. Be used in multiple meals (ex. Chicken. Baked for dinner one night, left overs on a salad the next day for lunch)
    2. Are filling (If you have 200 calories left for the day and you are starving do you pick a 200 calorie cookie that will leave you still hungry or something more filling like an apple with a tbsp of peanut butter?)
    3. Are familiar with. (You already have to start changing how much you eat, it might be stressful to deal with a bunch of ingredients you aren't familiar with)

You don't have to cut out bread or carbs or anything like that unless a doctor told you to due to a medical condition. Just be mindful that 80 calories for slice of bread might not be as filing as 80 calories of broccoli. I do a lot of open faced sandwiches so I get my bread that I love, but have the additional 80 calories left for something else.

I like some of the meal plans on diet bites. The one below is for someone eating 1500 calories a day. I don't stick to it, but it's helpful for ideas and it includes treats. http://www.dietbites.com/Weight-Maintenance-Journal/Apr-11-2008.html
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Excellent answer already, I just wanted to add that white breads do not keep you full as long as a good 100% whole wheat bread. The same goes for tortillas, rice, and anything else that have whole wheat or complex carb options. Sweet potatoes also satiate longer than white potatoes.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As far as eating, yes, stop before you are full, because it takes about 15 minutes for your stomach to register the food (very unscientific explanation, but experientially true). If you eat til you feel full, in about 15 minutes, you'll feel overstuffed. Drink water or low-cal beverage before eating & if you don't feel full after, drink another glass. Then if you're still hungry (and it fits your calories), eat a few more bites. Your stomach should feel pleasantly satisfied but not stuffed.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    https://www.eatthismuch.com/

enter your calories and give it a go!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    JeffBrown3 wrote: »
    Excellent answer already, I just wanted to add that white breads do not keep you full as long as a good 100% whole wheat bread. The same goes for tortillas, rice, and anything else that have whole wheat or complex carb options. Sweet potatoes also satiate longer than white potatoes.

I'm going to disagree here and say that ANY carbohydrates can give you a feeling of fullness for however long it takes. It's purely an individual thing.

Keep eating all of the foods you enjoy. Just make sure you stay at/under your calorie goal.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might try something like https://www.eatthismuch.com/ for ideas, though I might pick one meal out those offered, and be creative on my own for the rest. My breakfasts, for instance, are pretty well set by habit. I try and fit a little protein in every meal.

For instance for breakfast, oatmeal with greek yogurt and a little fruit. Or an omelet with veggies.
    Today's lunch is leftover white chili which I'll eat with half a banana and a slice of rye bread. Because I like all these things.
    I have some pre-cooked chicken breasts at home that I plan on putting in to a stir fry with the Bok Choy I have on hand.

I buy meat big, cook all at once, and use in multiple meals. I store bulk beans dry, and frequently prepare them in batches in my slow cooker. Fresh veggies and fruits however, I buy often and I buy small. Bread is kept in the freezer and I bring it out one slice at a time.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut bread :]

Also - you can pretty much eat anything you would normally eat, it's the calorie deficit that's important.

I don't cook because I'm useless at it, so I tend to buy a lot of pre-packaged, chicken, vegetables, fish, eggs, etc - and make straightforward food with it that still tastes delicious. Some great suggestions in the above posts ^^ but I'd say, keep it simple to start with until you are used to what you are doing and then spice it up a little when you feel like it!