Staring my Ketogenic journey - need quick recipe tips!:-)

Options
blissalexandra
blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've just started my keto journey and I need some simple quick keto recipes
Also, need help with the carbs. Do you eat unlimited veggie (mainly leafy greens) or do you track them - my carbs seem to be hitting over 20g really quickly

And how much grams of sodium do I need a day roughly ?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I track my veggies, I do get extra salt since I cook most of my meals (especially during the first two weeks). I think there is a low carb recipe forum, either way, check Groups and join some of the low carb/keto forums. Low Carber Daily Forum in particular is very active and people post recipes.

The Atkins site is pretty good for learning more, especially about dealing with the first two weeks and there is an Atkins forum here.

• Julierodriguez001
    Options
    Focus on your fats. Believe it or not it takes a little getting used to. Use butter to make your eggs and add butter to the pan at the end. Kerry gold is the best. Make sure to always have coconut oil on had . Peanut butter and cream cheese for dips and snacks
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've recently started. I don't really stress out if my carb counts go over 20 if they are from veggies. It's really hard to eat a decent calorie amount and keep your carb intake below 20. Especially if you're incorporating exercise. The first few days can be kind of rough though.

Shameless plug, I did create a group called "Keto With A Side Of Mental Health". You don't have to focus on the mental health part of it either lol.
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok, that did not help with your first question at all. I just googled "Keto blogs" and found a wealth of info.
  • rosemmercado
    rosemmercado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 1 for me! Im been researching and "practicing" for a while. Starting it out and trying to get to New Year. I like a lot of recipes from cavemanketo.com and there are tons on Reddit. I track every single thing (including calories), but I go by net carbs, so total carbs minus fiber. This way, you have some wiggle room for those veggies as long as you stay below 50 g total carbs.
  • jan3t85
    jan3t85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry about tracking veggies they are essential to your health! I do log in everything else and I do not subtract net carbs, for me every carb counts. I just started carb cycling and I was told by a nutritionist that going below 40 grams of carbs can effect your health, mostly if u are strenght training. I stay between 40 to 50 grams of carbs Monday through Friday. I have been making pumpkin protein pancakes every morning after my workout with uncured bacon and organic peanut butter, you can also join it with fresh farm egg, delish
  • jan3t85
    Options
    jan3t85 wrote: »
    I don't think you need to worry about tracking veggies they are essential to your health! I do log in everything else and I do not subtract net carbs, for me every carb counts. I just started carb cycling and I was told by a nutritionist that going below 40 grams of carbs can effect your health, mostly if u are strenght training. I stay between 40 to 50 grams of carbs Monday through Friday carbs is best in the morning to burn them throughout the day and give u that energy. I have been making pumpkin protein pancakes every morning after my workout with uncured bacon and organic peanut butter, you can also join it with fresh farm egg, delish other fats I use is kerrygold grass fed butter, almonds, avocado, almond milk.

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From my understanding you should get Ketostick to test your ketone levels in your urine. Because everyone is different your carb tolerance may allow you more or less wiggle room. If you don't hit your ideal numbers lower your carbs and/or protein. If you are great add a few carbs and see how that pans out. I'm too nervous to try it. I have been low fat for so long I don't have a palate for it. I have gotten better about healthy fats but its still a hurdle to grab the full fat cheeses.
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry about tracking veggies they are essential to your health! I do log in everything else and I do not subtract net carbs, for me every carb counts. I just started carb cycling and I was told by a nutritionist that going below 40 grams of carbs can effect your health, mostly if u are strenght training. I stay between 40 to 50 grams of carbs Monday through Friday carbs is best in the morning to burn them throughout the day and give u that energy. I have been making pumpkin protein pancakes every morning after my workout with uncured bacon and organic peanut butter, you can also join it with fresh farm egg, delish other fats I use is kerrygold grass fed butter, almonds, avocado, almond milk.

Yeah coz I'm still weight training Too u think I should increase my carbs to 50g?
  • blissalexandra
    Options

Yeah coz I'm still weight training Too u think I should increase my carbs to 50g?

Mines more of a carb cycle also
  • jan3t85
    Options

I would do 50 on leg and back days and rest you can do 40 :smile:
  • WaxWingedAngel
    WaxWingedAngel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not experienced in Keto at all. Today was day 1 for me, but I was very successful. I hit all my macro goals.
    17g carbs, 71g protein and 83g fats and stayed at the right calories for me. I am very interested in learning more.