Mexican food?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As someone who use to work for a large chain Mexican restaurant, they use ladles to put oil on the grill for cooking the fajita vegetables. So yeah, not too sure I'd count fajitas as being healthy there. You don't have to order a menu number at most places, when asked nicely they would be happy to grill chicken, fish, shrimp, beef etc. for you and steam or boil some vegetables. Just an idea.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have some chips and salsa, and then for my meal, I have 2 hard shell chicken tacos.

Stay away from anything fried, smothered in sauce, or covered in cheese dip.

And remember that Mexican food is packed with sodium, so you may see some water retention the next day.
    You know why hard-shell taco shells are hard, right?

Yes, I do. No need to be patronizing. They're better for you than flour tortillas.

I don't get it. How are they better for you?

Less cals, less carbs, way less sodium. That makes them better, just my opinion :)

Edited to add this lovely infographic: http://www.prevention.com/content/which-healthier-corn-tortillas-vs-flour-tortillas
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have some chips and salsa, and then for my meal, I have 2 hard shell chicken tacos.

And remember that Mexican food is packed with sodium, so you may see some water retention the next day.

Yes, I do. No need to be patronizing. They're better for you than flour tortillas.

Less cals, less carbs, way less sodium. That makes them better, just my opinion :)

Edited to add this lovely infographic: http://www.prevention.com/content/which-healthier-corn-tortillas-vs-flour-tortillas

Isn't that comparing unfried corn tortillas to flour tortillas? A hard shell taco shell would have different stats, particularly for fat. According to a search I just did, a single hard shell taco shell has 120 calories and 6 grams of fat -- way different than the stats presented in your infographic.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Isn't that comparing unfried corn tortillas to flour tortillas? A hard shell taco shell would have different stats, particularly for fat. According to a search I just did, a single hard shell taco shell has 120 calories and 6 grams of fat -- way different than the stats presented in your infographic.

Maybe, I've just always heard that corn tortillas were the better option. Also, I was originally just sharing what I order when I eat at a Mexican restaurant. I'm definitely not an expert on flour vs corn tortillas. :smile: All I know is that when I order what I stated above, I don't show gains... That's really all I care about, haha.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Maybe, I've just always heard that corn tortillas were the better option. Also, I was originally just sharing what I order when I eat at a Mexican restaurant. I'm definitely not an expert on flour vs corn tortillas. :smile:

I think the people telling you that are comparing both types unfried. That said, I think you can fit any type of tortilla (flour, corn, fried) into a weight loss plan as long as you account for the calories. Just be aware that a fried corn shell is going to have more fat than an unfried one and it isn't necessarily a better choice than an unfried flour tortilla (again, depends on what your plan is and what you are eating it with). If you wanted some protein, iron, and calcium, the flour may be a better choice -- it's all about what you're eating them with and the rest of your meals for the day.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could just go out and enjoy yourself, while watching the portion sizes. One day every now and then won't do too much damage, apart from maybe a gain in water weight from higher sodium. If it really worries you maybe drop your cheat day next week to compensate for having a great, stress free evening with your friends
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Much of the food that has been discussed isn't even Mexican cuisine; it's Southwestern aka. Tex-Mex.

Some examples of fine-dining style authentic Mexican cuisine, which would hardly be considered cheat meals...

cochinita.jpg

SOPA_DE_LIMA_VIAJA_BONITO.jpg

sopaaz2.jpg

d54bd20e01817bbfcd17279430841e1a?AccessKeyId=AFC5879EED55C7FA8F7E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

_mg_0080_custom-4fa9a057ef59e42551c9b2da067ed334f3ba8ebe.jpg

photoEscudo_MRDA_Cuisine_EX_cuisineyucatan.jpg

29KITCH5-superJumbo.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/6p/cq16yjguy1uk.png

As you can see, full of fresh organic produce, grilled meats, braised meats, seafood, flavorful low-calorie sauces, and overall the dishes are inherently "low-carb" aside from rice and tortillas.

Try not to think of "Mexican food" as one lumped category; and certainly don't lump it with Tex-Mex. There are several Mexican states where the food is nothing alike from its neighboring state. A dish from Oaxaca will be dramatically different than a dish from the Yucatan or Baja.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the fish tacos. It's one of the items with the most calories every time I look at nutrition information in Mexican restaurants!

I'd go for guacamole tostadas if they have those, otherwise yeah, vegetable fajitas, just watch our for extra oil.

I've always seen corn taco shells have less calories than flour ones.