Newbie - Need to lose weight, but don't know how to grocery shop or meal plan, Please Help.

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Bworms1980 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this post. I've never heard of a community kitchen. A search in Google shows that there are some close by in Manhattan. I'll start logging my meals, thanks for the idea :) . I avoid most foods that are likely to have tomato seeds, but what I found when I started checking food labels for my dairy allergy, what stood out to me was the amount of food that has milk in it. Including items that I wouldn't think would contain milk, like Funions. As I eat healthier, I'm guessing I'll start to run into the tomato problems.

I don't want to start an argument about processed/convenience foods (and this is actually a frequent MFP thread debate), but it seems like it would be a lot easier to avoid allergens if you shift to a diet that relies more on whole foods. If you pick up a bag of potatoes or onions, a head of cabbage, a carton of eggs, and plain meat, poultry or fish, you're unlikely to run into dairy, tomatoes, bananas, citrus, apples, or any other allergens that may be on your list. Frozen, unsauced veggies are generally just the vegetable named on the label. You can buy plain raw nuts (not saying that raw nuts are inherently better than cooked, but if they're raw, you don't need to worry about what "vegetable oil" actually means, if there are some types that are a problem for you).

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Jgnatca covered nutrition very abley, so I'll try to suggest some tips for shopping. Usually your local grocery store or several, will publish ads with their specials for the week. Comb through them looking for sales on all your basic food groups. Make a list. 1st group--vegetables. See what's on sale, and stock up there, getting what you like. 2nd group---fruits. Do the same here. Buy what you like. 3rd group--meats, fish, and other proteins like eggs. 4th group--carbs. This is bread, pasta, rice. Try to buy simple, not already packaged with ingredients--- if you can handle cooking them. I gather you already know about the sweets, these you can buy too, but limit them.

I too, think you could benefit from a cooking course if you have the time. It helps so much. Good luck, and remember we all have to start somewhere.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wow, good for you for asking advice and making a change! I suggest using a Crock pot for meals...It's super easy, and healthy way to cook! You can just throw in a bunch or chopped vegetables, chicken or beef (lean), and some low-sodium chicken broth, water, and let it sit for 6-8 hours ...maybe longer depending (you can google lots of crockpot recipes) and you have a couple meals for the week! You can add some quinoa or brown rice on the side with it, some fruit for dessert or even a cookie ( if you feel in control)...and that's it!!

Breakfast... Ezekiel Bread with peanut butter, fruit, or eggs ...anything protein is good!
    Snack... granola bar (Kind Bars 150 calories are great)
    Lunch/...salad with grilled chicken or turkey or chickpeas, chopped peppers or cucumber...etc Avocado is great!
    Snack...baby carrots with hummus, handful of nuts, or anything else around 150-200 calories
    Dinner... Crockpot recipes...or just any lean protein with lots of vegetables! I would limit my breads and starches, but up to you...
    Snack... your choice :smiley: just try to keep in your calorie goals... Hot chocolate...yum popcorn is another good one!

Forgot your allergies, so I'm taking out the dairy and citrus . You can still do this!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Goodness gracious. Doesn't the US have collective/community kitchens?
    Collective Kitchen Handbook

You don't! What a shame. Originated in Peru, popularized in Montreal.

"While the social, health, economic, and community-building
    benefits of collective kitchens stress their value as an element of community
    livability, a scan of the literature produced no evidence of them in the United
    States. " source - http://www.aging.ny.gov/livableny/resourcemanual/design/iv1k.pdf (p. 4, 5)

From the handbook, this sounds like something that can be organized by individuals, either among their existing group of friends or other social networks (not in the Facebook sense), and I'm sure there are people who do things like this in the U.S., although groups that meet for a meal in which each individual or couple brings a different dish (e.g., appetizers, salad, entree, dessert) they've prepared at their homes is probably more common.

If these are somehow organized more formally in Canada by the government or some larger civil society groups, I don't think there's much of that in the U.S.
  • traygeeslin
    traygeeslin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate to plan meals and grocery shop. Two years ago my mother gave me subscription to emeals.com and its been a life saver. Emeals has an app that I use on my Iphone. Each week it sends me a new menu (with recipes) and I select from it or add meals from a list of favorites I saved before. Once the menu is complete, it has a shopping list you can use. I mark off what I already have in the house, then walk through the grocery store and click off items as I gather them. I was at first put off by the annual cost of the subscription, however the first time I used it, it paid for itself. I would typically spend about $250 per week on groceries just by grabbing what looked good or I thought I should cook, but with the emeals I only got what I needed and my bill was just $160. It also has many different meal plans to choose from, I've been on the Paleo plan but have been looking at the clean eating and low calorie as well. I'm new to fitnesspal (4 days) and found it to be very helpful in logging my foods. Oh and I'm in no way associated with emeals, I just really like them....
  • Bworms1980
    Bworms1980 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That is definitely something I will have to train myself to do. Besides milk and eggs, I rarely go around the perimeter. I will take a look at the 21 day fix, I need all the help I can get about meals.
    When shopping for food shop the perimeter where the whole foods are...eggs, milk (almond for you unsweetened), butter (earth balance), Yogurt (Silk makes yogurt Dairy Free), your meats, fruits and veggies. When you shop down the isles you tend to buy stuff that is processed and loaded with sugar. If you would like something to stick with look into the 21 day fix from beachbody the meal plan is easy to follow there is also a cook book that goes along with it called fixate...and no I am not a beachbody coach I've just done and followed the 21 day fix and it worked for me! I can give you the name of my beachbody coach if you are interested!

Whole foods does sound like the best option for me. That's one of the reasons I want to learn about grocery shopping/meal plans. I realized that I would need to make most of my foods myself due to my allergies.
    Thank you so much for this post. I've never heard of a community kitchen. A search in Google shows that there are some close by in Manhattan. I'll start logging my meals, thanks for the idea :) . I avoid most foods that are likely to have tomato seeds, but what I found when I started checking food labels for my dairy allergy, what stood out to me was the amount of food that has milk in it. Including items that I wouldn't think would contain milk, like Funions. As I eat healthier, I'm guessing I'll start to run into the tomato problems.

I don't want to start an argument about processed/convenience foods (and this is actually a frequent MFP thread debate), but it seems like it would be a lot easier to avoid allergens if you shift to a diet that relies more on whole foods. If you pick up a bag of potatoes or onions, a head of cabbage, a carton of eggs, and plain meat, poultry or fish, you're unlikely to run into dairy, tomatoes, bananas, citrus, apples, or any other allergens that may be on your list. Frozen, unsauced veggies are generally just the vegetable named on the label. You can buy plain raw nuts (not saying that raw nuts are inherently better than cooked, but if they're raw, you don't need to worry about what "vegetable oil" actually means, if there are some types that are a problem for you).

• Bworms1980
    Options
    Then I definitely need to get one that makes it easy to the numbers. I have poor vision. I'll also have to take the long road of logging everything immediately as my short term memory is just as bad as my eye sight.
    Thank you. And I didn't find your post discouraging at all. It was incredibly informative. I'll look into getting a food scale from Amazon. Are there any that you can suggest for a newbie? Yes, losing weight is my ultimate goal, and I know smaller calorie controlled portions would do that, but I know I also need to learn what to buy and cook. The healthiest item in my kitchen are canned tuna and my multi-vitamins. I started my daily walk around the block this walk or as far as my asthma will allow right now.
    Eating more nutrient-dense foods and meeting your nutritional needs would be great, but at the very beginning of your post you say your goal is to do something about being overweight. The most important thing in trying to lose weight--ultimately the only thing that matters in losing weight--is to consume fewer calories than your body uses. It's the amount you eat (in terms of calories), not the kinds of foods that you eat, that will make the difference in meeting your goal.

Your first step should be to figure out a way to consume fewer calories. Since MFP is a calorie-counting site, most people here are going to recommend that you start logging all the food you eat, and to do so accurately. That means getting a food scale and being careful to use accurate entries in the database (cross-checking them against package labels and/or the USDA database at http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods, or at least using entries that have been verified by a lot of other users). Logging your food is associated with increased success in weight loss.

If you also want to improve the nutrient profile of your diet (diet in its original sense, meaning the food that you eat), that's great, and it can help reduce the risk of some of the health problems that obesity exposes you to, although for a lot of those health problems, losing weight and getting some exercise (even just walking a little, if that's all your underlying heart and asthma issues will allow) will go further than dietary changes like getting more potassium, magnesium, calcium, and fiber, less sodium, and some specific types of fats.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making appropriate changes to your diet; I'm just suggesting that you've taken your eyes off your goal and the way to achieve it.

I got mine on Amazon -- originally I got it for baking, because weighing ingredients, flour especially, tends to give better results, especially when I started using a bread machine sometimes (when you knead by hand, you just keep adding flour until you have the right consistency, but a bread machine makes more sense than heating the oven just for one loaf for a smaller household).

Anyway, I recommend a digital scale that measures in grams as well as ounces (grams are smaller units and thus you get greater accuracy on the size of your serving, plus nutrition labels often list the weight of a serving in grams) and has a tare (reset to zero) button so you can place your bowl, plate, etc. on the scale, add your first ingredient (e.g., cereal), note or log the weight (I tend to note the weights and then log them afterward, but you may prefer to log immediately, especially if you're using the app on your phone), reset to zero, add the next ingredient (e.g., berries), note or log the weight, add another ingredient (e.g., ground flax), note or log the weight, etc.

It saves time and the washing of measuring utensils, and it's just more accurate to weigh solid foods (no discrepancies in how full you fill the cup or tablespoon, how tightly you pack it, how large the pieces of things like chips, nuts, pretzels, cereals, chopped fruit & veggies are, etc.)
    ETA: you can still measure liquids by volume.

Other useful features include a display that pulls out from the scale so you can still see it when you're using a wide plate or other container (mine attaches by a retractable cord, but I've had it a few years, so I imagine they probably make some with displays that communicate with the scale wireless when they're detached).

You also want to pay attention to the maximum load of the scale. Mine will weigh up to 11 lbs or 5 kgs, which is enough for anything I've done, including a large metal dutch oven filled with stew or soup.

Mine is an OXO brand and uses regular AAA batteries, which I think I've had to replace once or twice in years of use (honestly not sure how long I've had it, but I think it must be four or five years at least). I've been very happy with it. It turns off automatically after a while when no buttons have been pushed or no weight has been added. Most of the time when you turn it back on, it retains the last tare setting, but sometimes not if you've removed or changed the weight on the scale while it was off, which is about the only negative thing I can think of to say about it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    From the handbook, this sounds like something that can be organized by individuals, either among their existing group of friends or other social networks (not in the Facebook sense), and I'm sure there are people who do things like this in the U.S., although groups that meet for a meal in which each individual or couple brings a different dish (e.g., appetizers, salad, entree, dessert) they've prepared at their homes is probably more common.

If these are somehow organized more formally in Canada by the government or some larger civil society groups, I don't think there's much of that in the U.S.

I see them organized by non-profit organizations and church groups. Not typically government sponsored unless a social worker gets on a cause.
  • Bworms1980
    Options
    Added to the list. Anything that can help me learn and simplify meal plans is a plus, thank you.
    I hate to plan meals and grocery shop. Two years ago my mother gave me subscription to emeals.com and its been a life saver. Emeals has an app that I use on my Iphone. Each week it sends me a new menu (with recipes) and I select from it or add meals from a list of favorites I saved before. Once the menu is complete, it has a shopping list you can use. I mark off what I already have in the house, then walk through the grocery store and click off items as I gather them. I was at first put off by the annual cost of the subscription, however the first time I used it, it paid for itself. I would typically spend about $250 per week on groceries just by grabbing what looked good or I thought I should cook, but with the emeals I only got what I needed and my bill was just $160. It also has many different meal plans to choose from, I've been on the Paleo plan but have been looking at the clean eating and low calorie as well. I'm new to fitnesspal (4 days) and found it to be very helpful in logging my foods. Oh and I'm in no way associated with emeals, I just really like them....

• Bworms1980
    Options
    Is a crock pot a slow cooker? I have a slow cooker in my kitchen. Do they turn off on their own?
    nm212 wrote: »
    Wow, good for you for asking advice and making a change! I suggest using a Crock pot for meals...It's super easy, and healthy way to cook! You can just throw in a bunch or chopped vegetables, chicken or beef (lean), and some low-sodium chicken broth, water, and let it sit for 6-8 hours ...maybe longer depending (you can google lots of crockpot recipes) and you have a couple meals for the week! You can add some quinoa or brown rice on the side with it, some fruit for dessert or even a cookie ( if you feel in control)...and that's it!!

Breakfast... Ezekiel Bread with peanut butter, fruit, or eggs ...anything protein is good!
    Snack... granola bar (Kind Bars 150 calories are great)
    Lunch/...salad with grilled chicken or turkey or chickpeas, chopped peppers or cucumber...etc Avocado is great!
    Snack...baby carrots with hummus, handful of nuts, or anything else around 150-200 calories
    Dinner... Crockpot recipes...or just any lean protein with lots of vegetables! I would limit my breads and starches, but up to you...
    Snack... your choice :smiley: just try to keep in your calorie goals... Hot chocolate...yum popcorn is another good one!

Forgot your allergies, so I'm taking out the dairy and citrus . You can still do this!!

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Head to the produce aisle to stock up and then get some lean meat or fish. To have more fun cooking it stop by the wine aisle too. Skip the breads and potatoes or reduce quantity of them.
  • MarissaJean04
    MarissaJean04 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That is definitely something I will have to train myself to do. Besides milk and eggs, I rarely go around the perimeter. I will take a look at the 21 day fix, I need all the help I can get about meals.
    When shopping for food shop the perimeter where the whole foods are...eggs, milk (almond for you unsweetened), butter (earth balance), Yogurt (Silk makes yogurt Dairy Free), your meats, fruits and veggies. When you shop down the isles you tend to buy stuff that is processed and loaded with sugar. If you would like something to stick with look into the 21 day fix from beachbody the meal plan is easy to follow there is also a cook book that goes along with it called fixate...and no I am not a beachbody coach I've just done and followed the 21 day fix and it worked for me! I can give you the name of my beachbody coach if you are interested!

Not sure if you noticed or not but I gave you some dairy free options in parentheses. My husband is dairy free! Add me as a friend of you want and you can message me with any questions. I know lots of dairy free foods!

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro when it comes to meal planning and shopping, but I didn't start out that way! I suggest making small changes to get started. Switch to a healthier breakfast cereal or oatmeal to keep breakfast simple - be sure to watch your portion sizes. Keep lunch simple, a low sodium canned soup or sandwich or leftovers from the evening before.

The harder part is dinner. Get a notepad and jot down 2- 3 meals. Gather the recipes you need to cook these meals. The worst is starting to cook and discovering you don't have something you need. Read the recipe and write down all the ingredients you need to get from the grocery store. Now you have your grocery list. Add anything else you'll need to round out those recipes - like vegetables for sides, rice, or garlic bread, etc.

Now that you have you recipes and ingredients you can choose which days to make those meals. As you get better you can add more recipes to your week. Pick simple recipes to start. Recipes with fewer ingredients will be much simpler to shop for and prepare. Even a box of pasta and a jar of sauce counts :)

Once you become a pro you can meal plan with very little waste, recreate leftovers into new dishes, cook a whole chicken and make 3 meals out of...stuff like that :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Bworms1980 a Crock Pot is the same as a slow cooker. Some have timers that can turn off on their own. You'll have to check your model. These cookers are designed for meals that are stewed over a long time like stews, chili, bean-based meals and soups, typically about 6-8 hours on low. One enterprising MFP'er suggested using a Christmas light timer to automatically turn off the cooker.
  • youknowwhyimhere
    youknowwhyimhere Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Look up on YouTube intermittent fasting. Eat nothing but protein and greens. Watch for carbs and I'd say stay under about 50-60 grams. Also try to stay under 1400 calories. As for workout, if you can, start jump roping. Jump rope for 10 mins = 30 mins of jogging. If you need to start off slow, jump rope for 1 min then rest for the next and then start again until you reach about 20-30 mins. I was 6'2-6'3 290 about 6 months ago but I joined when I was 270, I'm now about 253 but that's with me cheating my diet a little lol. Most importantly stay in a caloric deficit and burn more than you intake. Drink plenty water. Good luck!
  • Bworms1980
    Options
    I saw the dairy alternatives you mentioned. I use most of them. However, I didn't know about the dairy free yogurt. I'll check around and see if any stores in my area carries it. It's been hard finding dairy or lactose free substitutes that I saw online.

Not sure if you noticed or not but I gave you some dairy free options in parentheses. My husband is dairy free! Add me as a friend of you want and you can message me with any questions. I know lots of dairy free foods!