Ladies - chafing issue!

Options
Hi everyone,

I joined the gym this week and at the moment I'm enjoying walking on the treadmill at around 4mph for 30mins. I am going to try and build my way up to jogging in increments, but it may take a while as I am seriously unfit right now!

Anywho, I'm experiencing an unpleasant chafing issue in the breast department. Half way into my work out today I wanted to stop because I could swear I was bleeding and now three hours after I'm really sore.

Does anyone have any handy tips to prevent this happening? Are there any creams or special pads I could buy to alleviate the issue?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You have to keep that area dry. I would recommend a powder.
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Could I just sprinkle baby powder in my sports bra?
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try using roll on deodorant, such as Lady Speed Stick.
    The kind you put under your arms. It should help to keep you dry in that area

If you're already chaffed and want something that will alleviate it and heal quickly... tonight, before going to bed, rub on some Monistat 7 (the kind for yeast infections, I know, don't laugh). My gynecologist told me about it for men and women to use for chaffing and by golly, it worked (my ex-husband used it when he chaffed in a particular area and it was healed the next morning).
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Use an anti chafing stick. You can try body glide. I always see it on military store called PX. You can find it online if not try your local sport store.
  • mandarkio
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :) I never thought of using deodorant!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    mandarkio wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas :) I never thought of using deodorant!

Monistat has an anti-chafe gel...it goes on dry and works well. My sis uses it regularly during cardio. Be careful with deodorant because SOME say the ingredients in it shouldn't be used under the breast area....I don't know if it's got any merit, but research for yourself. There are also under-bra items you can buy to wick sweat. I know one woman who uses a pantiliner in-between (she is very large)....Just my two cents worth.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get terrible chafing on my inner thighs. I've tried deoderant but I find it's useless after 10min. My favourite is Body Glide, it keeps things slick ! If body glide isn't an option I like baby powder too.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I would get another sports bra. One that wicks moisture away and holds everything in place. I like Maia. Running stores have a good variety.
  • mandarkio
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, I think I am definitely going to look into investing in a better bra, and get some deo or anti-chafe roll on in the meantime! Though ingenious, I don't think i will need to go the route of the pantyliner in between, the problem is more 'central' less 'underneath' or 'between' if you know what I mean!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I second Body Glide! Non greasy, goes on clear and has no scent. Works every time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have no idea really. I'm flat. I used to use baby powder for my thighs though. That could help?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Better bra. Less movement = less likely to chafe.

I sweat a ton though so even with a good bra, on longer runs it's pretty inevitable.
    Powder doesn't last enough for me. Deoderant doesn't work. For areas like my bra line Body Glide does work. As does Vasoline, which is cheaper.
    Body Glide doesn't work for my thighs though.

I just found this which has worked well for me so far.
    10450-2.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use weight lifting chalk, i have to keep applying it to those chafing areas, but it works great.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Abby_C2014 wrote: »
    Use an anti chafing stick. You can try body glide. I always see it on military store called PX. You can find it online if not try your local sport store.

This... body glide has saved my life. I put it in so many places before I run it's almost comical. But I haven't chafed in months :D You can get it on Amazon.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    how does one apply BG between the cheeks? I've always wanted to know the best way

I use body glide on my on my thighs. it works and I'm so glad not to have to go thru chafing anymore
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Body Glide, or vaseline works as well. Also, I have found that the pull over style sports bras result in the worst chafing. I have found some supportive, padded sports bras that clasp in the back like a normal bra. They have less elastic and tend to not rub as much.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Body glide works fairly well. If that doesn't do it, buy some KT tape and put over the area before your workout!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think a bigger question is where are you chafing? because that could change the answer- if you're getting nipple chafe- your bra is probably moving to much- in which case "better fitting bra= less movement = less friction = less chafing"

if you're getting underarm chafing- same thing could apply.
    if you're getting actual breast chafing- BG/Vasaline- etc might be the best answer.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could try the actual anti-perspirants vs just using deodorant. It's got aluminum hydrochloride in it, you put it on before bed so it absorbs into the areas and actually prevents you from sweating as much. It works well for underarms, beneath breasts and in groin/belly folds. Also baby powder (without starch as this can cause yeast infections) may help pre-workout.