sweet potato. Eat or not to eat?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had 4.5 ounces of baked sweet potato last night with dinner and am fixing to have some with scrambled eggs and veggies for lunch. (I count sweet potatoes as a starch rather than a veg.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm so used to grams now that I just realized that 4.5 oz of sweet potato means nothing to me, like how I feel kind of blank when someone says 65 kg until I do the math.

Weird. Almost unpatriotic. ;-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I eat all the potatoes, sweet & regular ones.
  • franfran1821
    franfran1821 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    EAT!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I'm having sweet potato, green bean and cauliflower curry tonight and eat them quite often. They're full of vitamins and fibre and a lot less calories pro-rata than rice or pasta. Why wouldn't you eat them?

Recipe please
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm so used to grams now that I just realized that 4.5 oz of sweet potato means nothing to me, like how I feel kind of blank when someone says 65 kg until I do the math.

I left my digital scale at mom's and am making due with my spring scale until I get back over there.

117626.jpg

• Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat the regular ones without craving carbs later, but on the bright side, that's the only common non-sweet starchy food that causes such problems. I've talked to people on here who can eat potatoes but not pasta or bread. That would be a lot harder for me.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes just about every day...sometimes even just as a pre or post-workout snack. Half of a small one, with a touch of butter and seasalt tend to fight off that crazy monster hunger I get after a good workout...and alternatively, it helps me to have the energy I need to do a good workout in the first place! xo

I love eating sweet potatoes that way! Often I'll have 1/3-1/2 a sweet potato and one or two hard boiled eggs as breakfast. Holds me over nicely until lunch.

You are my twin! That was my brekkie today too!

Awesome! My coworkers think it's crazy, but then they tell me how good it smells after I heat it up. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are fine to eat because they are not white.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    eat of course. eat what you want. work it off. simple.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Huh? What about Yukon Gold potatoes They are not white.. and what about red skinned potatoes. They are only white on the inside.

Eat all of the potatoes for they are tasty and make a wonderful addition to a complete and balanced diet.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eat, for the nutrition. It's high in vitamin a, and a great source of fibre.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a medical need, you don't need to limit anything.

Eat the corn, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, whatever. Fit the foods you love into your calorie goal and enjoy.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious, or trolling.

What I am sure of, is that this thread made me want to buy a sweet potato.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 300-400 grams of sweet potato a day! Love them with some cinnamon and almond butter!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm having sweet potato fries tonight. I like both regular and sweet potatoes. Just depends on the day or what else I'm having. Both are good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

you're posting like an expat!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Unhelpful.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Unhelpful.

Not any more unhelpful than your unhelpful. OP wanted an opinion on whether or not to eat sweet potatoes. I gave her one, an incorrect and MFP-food racist one.

Many, many people believe the color of foods dictate how unhelpful they'll be in an overall diet. White food, specifically potatoes, rice, and bread, get much of that blame.

OP, eat the sweet potatoes and quit worrying about whether Whitey the Carb will make you fat.