sweet potato. Eat or not to eat?

Options
Trying to watch what I eat or portion control. And don't know if seer potatoes is one of those vegetables to limit, like corn or white potatoes. I eat maybe 1/2 sweet potato every other day. They seem to be the only thing that keeps the cravings away.

Replies

• calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If it's just about calories, just make sure it fits in your goal for the day. Sweet potatoes are pretty good for you from my understanding. I have some a couple times a week now that it's fall.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are full of fiber, vitamins, and will make you feel full! Eat them! Just make sure you weigh them to get an accurate calorie count.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    IF it fits in your calorie limit there is no reason not to eat sweet potato.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I limit them myself to a couple times per week. Just my preference. But, you can eat them at every meal if you want. It's the simple carbs that should be limited imo.

ETA - They are so delicious with the queaollso chipotle laughing cow wedges... Yummy!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's an evil whole food...don't do it...

giphy.gif
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great source for vitamin A, for the win.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes just about every day...sometimes even just as a pre or post-workout snack. Half of a small one, with a touch of butter and seasalt tend to fight off that crazy monster hunger I get after a good workout...and alternatively, it helps me to have the energy I need to do a good workout in the first place! xo
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Trying to watch what I eat or portion control. And don't know if seer potatoes is one of those vegetables to limit, like corn or white potatoes. I eat maybe 1/2 sweet potato every other day. They seem to be the only thing that keeps the cravings away.

In terms of weight loss, if it fits your calorie goal you can eat whatever food you want.
    Enjoy your sweet potato.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    it's an evil whole food...don't do it...

giphy.gif

Ooo..I love her haircut!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Do you LIKE sweet potatoes?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Do you LIKE sweet potatoes?

This is the question.

Seriously, sweet potatoes ARE similar to corn or potatoes -- more of a starch course than what we normally think of as vegetables, but that just means they have more calories, not that they are bad foods to eat. Sweet potatoes have lots of things going for them nutritionally, and I think they are delicious roasted.

And if they help you with cravings, that's even better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you like them and they keep cravings away, why would you even consider not eating them?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm having sweet potato, green bean and cauliflower curry tonight and eat them quite often. They're full of vitamins and fibre and a lot less calories pro-rata than rice or pasta. Why wouldn't you eat them?
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the sweet potatoes!! They are delicious. It's what you add to them that can hinder your goals.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato, just finished 85 grams of it with my lunch. Full of nutrients. If you like them work them into your eating plan & enjoy!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes just about every day...sometimes even just as a pre or post-workout snack. Half of a small one, with a touch of butter and seasalt tend to fight off that crazy monster hunger I get after a good workout...and alternatively, it helps me to have the energy I need to do a good workout in the first place! xo

I love eating sweet potatoes that way! Often I'll have 1/3-1/2 a sweet potato and one or two hard boiled eggs as breakfast. Holds me over nicely until lunch.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This would depend on your weight loss approach, wouldn't it?
  • AmberFitzilla
    AmberFitzilla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I'm having sweet potato, green bean and cauliflower curry tonight and eat them quite often. They're full of vitamins and fibre and a lot less calories pro-rata than rice or pasta. Why wouldn't you eat them?
    Can you share this recipe? Sounds amazing!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

I love eating sweet potatoes that way! Often I'll have 1/3-1/2 a sweet potato and one or two hard boiled eggs as breakfast. Holds me over nicely until lunch.

You are my twin! That was my brekkie today too!
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Russet potatoes trigger rebound carb cravings for me, but sweet potatoes are very satisfying and help to keep the cravings away. I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and very few russets.