Protein shakes - worth a try?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about replacing breakfast with a protein shake. I'm a vegetarian and am finding it really hard to meet my protein goals which I think is impacting my weight loss.

Does anyone have any experience of using protein shakes? And any recommendations of any I could try?

Thanks!

PS feel free to add me as a friend if you want to share motivation and tips!

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited September 2015
    The recommendations for a brand of protein shake change based on what flavour you want. I'd suggest reading reviews for the standard brands (ESN, Optimum Nutrition, Myprotein, etc.). Obviously there are differences in opinion, so you might end up with a flavour from a brand that tastes not so good. But there a trends which brand is better at what. The nutrition in Whey protein powders is not so drastically different.
    I quite like the ESN Designer Whey Protein, cookies & cream flavour. I like to make myself smoothies with milk and frozen raspberries + the powder. Quite tasty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I don't like drinking calories, personally, but if you do a search on 'protein powder' here you will get a lot of threads with dozens of brand suggestions.
  • vxldn
    vxldn Posts: 3 Member
    I like MyProtein impact whey: Chocolate smooth and cookies and cream.
    I eat meat and fish and I still find it hard to meet my protein goals, but protein shakes help a lot!
  • sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi I regularly have a protein shake for breakfast to get my protein levels up (to support muscle whilst dieting and for muscle gains & recovering as heavy lifting 4 x weekly). I also often mix a scoop of powder into plain Greek yogurt- yummy. I use Myprotein brand
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    I like to have a protein shake for either breakfast or lunch, depending on how busy my day is going. I usually have a vegan protein shake such a pea, hemp, or a vegan combination. I purchase my protein for true nutrition which is about 9 to 15 dollars per pound. You can customize your protein as well; adding more fiber, etc. Good luck
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Hi, I'm vegetarian too & sometimes have a protein shake to increase my protein levels.

I love Bulk powders chocolate cookie whey powder & milk (norm or almond), it is a tasty treat that satisfies my chocolate cravings & protein needs.

However, generally a protein shake isn't considered a meal replacement on it's own. Consider adding frozen berries, yogurt, bananas, peanut butter (etc) to really fill it with nutritional goodness - There are many different recipes online. Or have it as a protein-filled extra to a small meal, like I do.

Best of luck! :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Look up news stories and reviews before you pick one. There has been heavy metal contamination, rat droppings, and other issues in the past few years. Do your research.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    i like premiere protein (I get at costco).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    If you're lacking protein, then it's a fantastic idea!
  • ohsoretro
    ohsoretro Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much everyone, I think I'm going to go for it and add it to my morning porridge! Xxx
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Vegetarian here as well (kinda, had to stop after 10 years due to medical reasons, now I only eat fish).

Protein powder is good, I tried many and I think chocolate (no brands in particular) always tastes the best.

Add some milk and it tastes delicious.
  • Samantha21784
    Samantha21784 Posts: 16 Member
    I don't like using protein powders. You never really know what's in there. For the last several months I have been having a protein shake for breakfast most mornings and they keep me relatively full until lunch. Instead of powder, I use Greek yogurt as my protein. My shakes consist of 1 cup of almond/coconut milk (but you can use water if u want to cut calories), 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, a handful of spinach (which you don't taste at all) and 1 cup of some kind of fruit (i really like frozen blueberries or frozen strawberries with half a banana), 1 tbsp of raw cacao powder (for flavor and antioxidants) and 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed. I also like to throw in a few almonds for extra protein. They come out so yummy. I like them so much more than shakes you buy.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I have a protein shake for breakfast fairly often. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% soy protein isolate, which is really the only vegan protein powder that doesn't taste awful and gritty to me. I usually mix it with a cup of unsweetened cashew milk, a tablespoon of ground flax and about a cup of frozen berries. Sometimes I add PB2 for flavour and an extra protein boost (5 g in a 45 cal serving). It makes a tasty shake and keeps me full for several hours.

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    I don't like using protein powders. You never really know what's in there.

But they've got ingredients lists.

• Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Look up news stories and reviews before you pick one. There has been heavy metal contamination, rat droppings, and other issues in the past few years. Do your research.

I agree. It is so hard to get accurate information. I would love to find one that has minimal ingredients, no aspartame, low sugar and tastes decent.

There is one from Thorne that was recommended by JJVirgin. I took her word for it because I find it overwhelming to figure out which ones are good.
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Vegi here too, started body recompisition so needed to increase my protein closer to 170g a day . I started having 1 for breakfast with milk and gets me well on the way to my goal plus it seems to make me not hungry too which is a bonus . So yeah I recommend them .
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Have a couple of premier protein during the day. Helps in keep up with my protein needs for healing.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I have protein shakes occasionally when I know I'm going to eat through lunch at a client's because it's less obnoxious than a smelly sandwich or a salad.