Healthy pizza!

2»

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I prefer the zucchini crust one, personally. Damned yummy.

How does it compare to a regular thin crust for calories?

Not sure.
    But this recipe has the calories etc. listed.

http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2012/08/28/zucchini-pizza-crust-and-wiaw/

The zucchini sounds good, but zucchini pizza is so similar to my zucchini boats I make and those are so much easier.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I make a kickin whole wheat crust from scratch. I'm not giving that up for anything. ;)

YUM.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I like to use the flatout thins as my pizza base. They are delicious and low calories. Use lots of veggies, lean meat and little cheese and they are yummy!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I prefer to use the FlatOut wraps as they are 90 calories and have 6-8grams of protein.

They require no prep and turn out like a paper crispy thin crust pizza.

Might want to give that a try if you cant make regular pizza fit into your calories!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I prefer the zucchini crust one, personally. Damned yummy.

How does it compare to a regular thin crust for calories?

Not sure.
    But this recipe has the calories etc. listed.

http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2012/08/28/zucchini-pizza-crust-and-wiaw/

The zucchini sounds good, but zucchini pizza is so similar to my zucchini boats I make and those are so much easier.

hmm, I didn't find that the zucchini crust pizza tasted like my zucchini boats. Both taste great, but the boats taste much more zucchini like.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    I tried that a few months ago... and honestly it was as good as a bread crust and I am a bread lover. Obviously a little work, but not too bad and the calories are much much lower than bread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    I tried that a few months ago... and honestly it was as good as a bread crust and I am a bread lover. Obviously a little work, but not too bad and the calories are much much lower than bread.
    How much lower? I've been trying to get a calorie count but the OP doesn't seem to have returned. The crust I usually use is 580 calories total. We which makes a large thin crust pizza (16 in, I think).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    A one half head of cauliflower and an egg and maybe some cheese to hold it together is going to be fewer calories than all but the very thinest bread crust.
  • michellersimon
    michellersimon Posts: 8 Member
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I don't understand how substituting one carb for another makes your pizza "healthy?"

Yes they are both complex carbs whether you choose a whole wheat pizza or a vegetable substitute crust. I'm not trying to replace a carb source at all but in this case it was a much better alternative as far as calorie density goes.
    Vegetables are a great source of micronutrients and fiber. Most people do not come close to getting enough fiber a day
  • michellersimon
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Good thing you put lots of cheese on it! Cheese fixes everything.

I don't like "substitutions" like this for food. Have you ever had the Ben and Jerry's half baked compared with the frozen yogurt version? Not satisfying at all. I'd rather make all the real pizza, full fat ice cream, burgers etc. fit into my day or week.

I'm not saying substitutes are better than the real thing but if you are on competition prep it is important to balance out some things or choose less calorie dense foods for a period of time. Most other times I choose a real pizza, and just get a whole wheat crust.
  • michellersimon
    Its a good option if i want to balance other higher carb foods into my day while still enjoying what I eat. In no means does it necessarily make it more healthy, just creating more balance.