• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    All you need is your body and the SWORKIT Lite app

And you already have your body.

• jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    We have a in house gym, only costed us little over 5. 500 pound plates, Barbells, Bench, squat rack.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    but I *like* machines! Well actually I like variety. Some machines, some walking, some weights.... I like watching entertainment out of my smartphone (or any screen I control) while working on machines. It makes the time just fly.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First items to grab:
    -Bench with an adjustable back
    -Adjustable dumbbells (the kinds with the screw ends you can add weight plates to)

I would then hunt for a deal on a power rack, an Olympic bar, and then just start grabbing plates for the Oly bar whenever you can find a good deal on them
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Yes I definitely need those!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you're already serious about lifting weights, I can only repeat what everyone else is saying about getting an Olympic set. I managed to snag a full set (bar + ~450lb of plates) for just over $100 checking craigslist everyday. Added a FID bench from walmart for ~$50. All the power racks I saw were out of my budget plus I had a low ceiling to contend with, so I got squat stands with safety rails instead. Much cheaper, but not as foolproof as a full rack.

If you're not already using the barbell at your current gym, then you could probably start with just adjustable dumbbells and a bench until you decide you need heavier weights.

For flooring, I got interlocking foam tiles off ebay. I've heard horse stall mats make for great, cheap gym flooring as well.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    oooh excellent. I can do 100.
  • trisnic
    trisnic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A wooden box and a yogamat is all you need, until you stay getting fit then you need a wall too.... This enables you to do yoga, burpees, pushups and box jumps.. Once you fitness improves you start walking up backwards with feet first and hands on floor up the wall as an exercise. Not long after, 40 bucks will have made you a handstanding calisthenic beast. No machine can come equal
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bought an elliptical on craigslist, stopped using it because it was hurting my knees! It was the only cardio machine I had so it was frequently used. Suggesting you get something that is versatile like a treadmill where you can adjust the incline and speed so it's not the same motions every day.
  • gothchiq
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Found a NordicTrack for 4 bux at a yard sale. :D wait, I already said that. So the husband wants a treadmill... I hope there will be a similar deal. It's coming together.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd start with some kind of suspension trainer (TRX, gymnastics rings, etc) for your strength training. Do you have a bicycle? If so, look for a used trainer (it's kind of like a stand for the bike that applies resistance to the rear tire) and use that for your cardio.

After that, I'd look for an adjustable bench and some dumbbells and start saving for an eliptical or similar.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I got an elliptical on Amazon new for 89 bucks. Exerpudic (sp?) it's made for small spaces and works great. I also got a Marcy recumbent bike for 79 at Acadamy sports. Those are my main cardio sources. I got the rest of the pieces here and there as rewards for losing weights. I have a 25 lb kettle ball that is great and a set of weights with a bench. Lifting helps a lot! I still do body weight stuff too. I like variety... I got a thigh glider and a pull up bar both for a dollar ea. at a garage sale. If you get a cheap primary piece of equipment and are willing to wait for the best deals, you can get a great home gym!
  • gothchiq
    Options
    oooh! I'll check Amazon, that sounds great!