Really confused about how many calories I should eat!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked to death already, but I'm very confused right now and hoping someone can give me a definitive answer!

For the past three weeks, since joining MFP, I've been eating an average of 14-1500 calories daily. MFP gave me a target of 1700 and I thought I was supposed to be creating a deficit based on the 1700, but now I'm thinking that might have been a bit thick?

My BMR is apparently 1895, and my maintenance is 2600 (I assumed I am 'lightly active' - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week?). Some things I've read say I shouldn't create a deficit of more than 500 calories below maintenance, that would be 2100. Other sources say that it would be ok to go up to 1000 calories below, which would be 1600. Either way according to them I have been creating too much of a deficit. That doesn't include the average of 400 calories I've been burning at the gym three times this week.

I currently weigh 242lbs, 5'8" and 28 years old. I want to lose 2lbs per week minimum, though 3 or 4 would be preferable.

Tl;Dr, can anyone tell me what number I should be working to in order to achieve my desired weight loss without hurting my body?

Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your MFP goal. MFP estimates how much you will burn in a 24 hour period based on your stats and activity level you selected. It takes this estimated number and subtracts your deficit from it.

Example:
    At the lightly active setting MFP thinks I should burn 1850 calories in 24 hour period without exercise.

To lose weight:
    0.5 lbs per week = -250 for a NET goal of 1600
    1 lb per week = -500 for a NET goal of 1350 per week
    1.5 lb per week = -750 for a NET goal of 1200***
    2 lb per week = -1000 for a NET goal of 1200***
    MFP will not let calorie goals go below 1200. For this reason, it is not possible for MFP to give me higher than a 650 calorie deficit. With 8 or so pounds to lose, it is reasonable for me to expect a slower rate of loss.

When you log exercise (since it isn't included in your calorie goal yet) MFP will add it to it's original estimated burn. This means you get more calories to eat to achieve the same deficit you would have had without the exercise. So for me that would be:
    1850 + 200 exercise calories = 2050
    To lose weight:
    0.5 lbs per week = -250 for 1800 total calories (1600 NET = 1800 consumed - 200 exercise)
    1 lb per week = -500 for 1550 total calories
    1.5 lbs per week = -750 for 1400 total calories***
    2 lb per week = -1000 for 1400 total calories***
    MFP will still not let me have a calorie deficit higher than 650 calories based on what I burn before exercise. Even with exercise it will work to keep me at a 650 calorie deficit max.
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ok, so I should basically be eating the 1700 that MFP has recommended for me? I told it when I was setting up that I wanted to lose 2lbs per week, so it will have already subtracted my deficit, am I understanding that correctly?

I'm sorry, this really confused me! Maths is not my strong suit.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    mandarkio wrote: »
    ok, so I should basically be eating the 1700 that MFP has recommended for me? I told it when I was setting up that I wanted to lose 2lbs per week, so it will have already subtracted my deficit, am I understanding that correctly?

I'm sorry, this really confused me! Maths is not my strong suit.

Yep. You got it. Basically MFP does all the math for us. We only have to make minor adjustments when over a 4-6 week period our weight loss doesn't average out to what would be expected. In your case you should expect an average loss of 2 lbs per week, but don't expect 2 lbs every week. Some weeks you will lose more, some less and some you might even stall or have a slight gain. That's why you want to look at the average over about a 4-6 week period (4-6 weeks because hormones around our TOM can throw things off and make it look like your going the opposite way...it's just water retention, but it can be a lot and tends to shock people into thinking they are doing something wrong....new exercise/increased exercise intensity among other things also cause temporary water retention).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    54405756.jpg
  • Triskele2
    Triskele2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Only problem I see with your calculation is choosing "lightly active" based on your exercise. You're going to add in your exercise daily separately. So the activity level you choose in your setup is based on how you spend most of your day. Do you have a desk job? Then choose sedentary. Rember you will add in your exercise and it will give you extra calories at that point.
  • mandarkio
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • mandarkio
    Options
    Triskele2 wrote: »
    Only problem I see with your calculation is choosing "lightly active" based on your exercise. You're going to add in your exercise daily separately. So the activity level you choose in your setup is based on how you spend most of your day. Do you have a desk job? Then choose sedentary

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to select! I am a retail manager, I am on my feet 8 hrs per day, I sit for one hour at lunch. I walk to and from work everyday, which is about 15mins at 2mph. And I go to the gym now, I'm aiming for 3-5 times a week, 30 mins cardio followed by resistance training. What do you think my activity level would be?

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Triskele2 wrote: »
    Only problem I see with your calculation is choosing "lightly active" based on your exercise. You're going to add in your exercise daily separately. So the activity level you choose in your setup is based on how you spend most of your day. Do you have a desk job? Then choose sedentary

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to select! I am a retail manager, I am on my feet 8 hrs per day, I sit for one hour at lunch. I walk to and from work everyday, which is about 15mins at 2mph. And I go to the gym now, I'm aiming for 3-5 times a week, 30 mins cardio followed by resistance training. What do you think my activity level would be?

You're job alone would make you "lightly active", so you picked the right modifier. So eat the 1700 MFP says PLUS your intentional gym-based exercise. That being said, machines and MFP itself overinflate cardio burns, so maybe start by eating back only half of your exercise calories and see how fast you lose. (Resistance training burns very few calories, per se, but is the best thing you can do to change your body. As a further note to that, you should use your full energy for resistance training, and do cardio afterwards.)

Best of luck!!!

• mandarkio
    Options
    Thanks, you've all made this so much clearer :) and now I can eat a bit more and not feel like I've failed, yay!
  • mandarkio
    Options
    (Resistance training burns very few calories, per se, but is the best thing you can do to change your body. As a further note to that, you should use your full energy for resistance training, and do cardio afterwards.)

I didn't know this! I don't really have a clue what I'm doing with resistance training tbh, I'm doing like two sets of ten reps (right terminology?) on shoulder lift (or whatever it's called), chest press, inner and outer thigh, bicep curl, tricep extension, abdominal curl (?) and the ones that work your calves and hamstrings? Haha clearly I am clueless.
  • Triskele2
    Triskele2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastic! And yep if you're on your feet all day you made the right choice in activity level.

Keep up the great work. :)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    1500-1800 would be ideal.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Simplified: If your maintenance IS in fact 2600 calories - do the following

To Lose 0.5 lb per week: Eat 2250 calories a day.
    To lose 1lb a week: Eat 2100 calories a day.
    To lose up to 2lbs a week: Eat 1600 calories a day.

2lbs a week is a safe rate - any more than that isn't really recommended (however you'll probably see a big whoosh in the first four weeks). If this has been said before, apologies. But that's basically all there is to it. Of course I am using the TDEE method here so you will not need to eat exercise calories on top of the number given.

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    yep what she said ^
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    (Resistance training burns very few calories, per se, but is the best thing you can do to change your body. As a further note to that, you should use your full energy for resistance training, and do cardio afterwards.)

I didn't know this! I don't really have a clue what I'm doing with resistance training tbh, I'm doing like two sets of ten reps (right terminology?) on shoulder lift (or whatever it's called), chest press, inner and outer thigh, bicep curl, tricep extension, abdominal curl (?) and the ones that work your calves and hamstrings? Haha clearly I am clueless.

I was clueless, too!! LOL

Sounds like you're using the machines? They're not bad, and can have a place in a resistance workout, but moving to the free weight section and working on compound lifts will get you fantastic results, faster. There are some easy to follow programs that are great for beginners. I liked Stronglifts a lot. (Check out this group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women)