Eating at night

Options
I'm so confused don't eat after 6 don't eat after 8. You should eat before bed. What is the correct answer. I feel like I shouldn't go to bed hungry so I've been making a protien smoothie. Bad idea?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The timing of when you eat does not affect weight loss. All you need is a calorie deficit.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    It really is all about personal preference. Most people who have cut off times do so either to curb late night snacking on low nutrient foods, or because they find it hard to sleep on a full stomach. I eat at night. If I were to cut off my eating after dinner, I'd wake up in the middle of the night ravenous (like I did last night at 3am).
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The timing of when you eat does not affect weight loss. All you need is a calorie deficit.

^^^

I usually have a little snack before bed :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed, up until I fall asleep. :/
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I consume most of my calories between 5:30 and 11 pm.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't like to go to sleep on a full stomach and wake up in the middle of the night to take the Browns to the Super Bowl.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Kurlz1972 wrote: »
    I'm so confused don't eat after 6 don't eat after 8. You should eat before bed. What is the correct answer. I feel like I shouldn't go to bed hungry so I've been making a protien smoothie. Bad idea?

Eat when you want, weight loss is all about calories in calories out.
  • kittydinosaur470
    kittydinosaur470 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Its usually a light meal to start off the morning, then don't eat after 630 because your body stops digesting at it's full efficient potential and you get build up.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Its usually a light meal to start off the morning, then don't eat after 630 because your body stops digesting at it's full efficient potential and you get build up.

I'd suggest that you eat what you want, when you want, in the quantities that you need. Your stomach doesn't stop working at an arbitrary time.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter. I've had 900 calorie snacks at 1am before bed. Still lost weight at the rate I was expecting for my deficit.
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your digestive system keeps working while you're asleep so I'd say it's down to personal preference.

I don't get home from work until 9pm some nights, and I'm not going to deprive myself of dinner because of work. It's not the boss of me! (except it kinda is :p)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I stop at minimum 2 hrs before going to sleep otherwise 9 out of 10 times I find myself needing to go to the bathroom during my sleep thus interrupting my sleep. I know others that can immediately go to sleep after eating. I can too, just that I almost always have to go to the bathroom 2 to 3 hrs into my sleep.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I don't have a snack before bed, food seems to find a way to get to me in my sleep. ;) However, that's me. You do what works for you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The correct rule is "don't eat when you've already consumed you daily caloric allowance".

It doesn't matter what time of day that occurs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong. Eat whenever feels right to you.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It really is all about personal preference. Most people who have cut off times do so either to curb late night snacking on low nutrient foods, or because they find it hard to sleep on a full stomach. I eat at night. If I were to cut off my eating after dinner, I'd wake up in the middle of the night ravenous (like I did last night at 3am).

This. I cant sleep hungry. I will toss and turn until i finally give in and eat a huge bowl of cereal. I figure i just had an early breakfast so i skip it the next morning. I usually skip lunch aswell.

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before bedtime as I get heartburn.