Do these suggestions really work or are they a waste of money?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

While I was at my doctors appointment for blood work, me and my doctor were discussing my weight loss progress and how much weight I've lost. He recommended that I should get some Raspberry Ketones tablets since they burn fat faster and increase your metabolism which will really help speed up the weight loss progress. I was wondering if that's true. Do Raspberry Ketones tablets really burn fat? I don't think it's true, but it's always better to check than to be sorry :)

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-raspberry-ketones-tablets-500mg-60011929

He also said these two types of teas will help burn fat as well, but I think that's not very likely. They are Pursana Pu-Erh Tea and Gardens Nan Yu tea. Sorry for the information is in Dutch since I couldn't find a English website for them, but I will post what the description of them say in English:

http://www.detuinen.nl/thee/pu-erh-thee/purasana-pu-erh-thee.html
Pu-erh tea can you lose weight healthily and quickly. Lose weight with Pu-erh tea has already succeeded countless people. You do not feel hungry, you eat every three hours, and you have plenty of energy. Losing weight has never been so easy! So quickly lose weight responsibly with Pu-erh.

http://www.detuinen.nl/nan-yu-thee.html
Nan Yu Tea is a looizuurarme and stomach-friendly tea boosts metabolism and reduces appetite. Nan Yu Tea does not laxative or diuretic. The best result will be achieved, if you drink two cups of tea per day. Preferably before noon, for 15 or 30 days respectively 4 to 10 kg weight loss. You can normally remain in this course food and drink.

To feel fuller, he recommended I put 20 grams of whey protein power or egg and milk protein powder into yogurt each morning which I agree can be helpful. So I was wondering if anyone knows which one is better for weight loss whey protein power or egg and milk protein powder?

The last thing he recommended to me to help with fullness is some fiber powder. I know fiber is what makes you feel full, so I do think think product can help me feel fuller naturally without any diet pills, although I'm not too sure, so I would love opinions on what you guys think. Sorry but the information is in Dutch, but I will post the description in English:

http://www.detuinen.nl/jacob-hooy-juso-afslankvezels.html
Juso put slimming fabrics taken with the aid of water or juice in the stomach and assuage naturally hunger. Psyllium husks (psyllium) are made from the dried fibers of the plant "Plantago Ovata". The special feature of these fibers is that when they come into contact with moisture they can absorb 20 to 25 times their weight in moisture.

So what do you guys think? Please let me know your opinions on what you think does work and what you think is fake. Now I'm not saying these things alone will help with weight loss, but do they help if added with exercise and a good diet? I think the protein and fiber power do work for fullness, but I honestly have no experience with this type of stuff. I'm not sure if the tea and Raspberry Ketones tablets are placebo's or if they really do anything at all.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What type of doctor was he?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Was he selling these products?
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have tried teas and raspberry products and they haven't worked for me. I have IBS so I can't take fiber powder as it causes pain and bloating (again that is because of my IBS). I do use a Raw Vegan protein powder mixed with 1-cup juice after a workout - it seems to help my energy get back up and I don't have time to eat protein because I have to get ready to go to work. Good luck!
  • jenniator
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What type of doctor was he?

A general practitioner :)
  • jenniator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Was he selling these products?

No he wasn't. He was just recommending them to me since he said they will aid in extra weight loss along with good nutrition and exercise.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That seems strange a GP would recommend these. All you really need is to eat in caloric deficit and use MFP because it is free.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You can do this!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The only thing on that list that's worthwhile is protein powder imho. And even that is not necessary, but it can help keep you full and help you hit your protein macro, which is important when losing weight. I use protein powder often because I'm vegetarian and don't want to miss out on protein.

If you are eating whole foods like fruits and veggies, your fiber shouldn't be a problem. No need for a powder. The other stuff - the teas - are just a weight loss scam. Completely unnecessary. If you lose any weight from them it will just be water weight; you can achieve the same thing by just increasing your daily water intake.

Also, products that claim to "keep you full" or suppress appetite are a waste of time anyway. What happens when you stop taking them? All of a sudden your appetite isn't suppressed anymore and you gain the weight back. It's important to learn how to eat properly WITHOUT "tricking" your body into feeling full.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The fact that the doctor is encouraging you to buy scam products with scammy claims about "weight loss" should be enough to send you running the other way.

A report to the board of certification in your country mightn't go astray either.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I think you need a new GP.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    >To feel fuller, he recommended I put 20 grams of whey protein power or egg and milk protein powder into yogurt >each morning which I agree can be helpful. So I was wondering if anyone knows which one is better for weight >loss whey protein power or egg and milk protein powder?

Both types of protein are complete (have an adequate proportion of all 9 essential amino-acid).

This doesn't mean your guts will tolerate them equally well, or that their cost in terms of money and calories is the same.

In general whey is considered to absorb into your system faster than milk and egg protein.

>The last thing he recommended to me to help with fullness is some fiber powder. I know fiber is what makes you >feel full, so I do think think product can help me feel fuller naturally without any diet pills, although I'm not too >sure, so I would love opinions on what you guys think. Sorry but the information is in Dutch, but I will post the >description in English:

As a woman, approximately 25g of fiber should be adequate. More fiber may make you feel fuller and/or make you go to the bathroom more often and/or easier.

The rest of the information your doctor gave you makes me think that
    a) he/she should not be giving diet advice and
    b) you may want to shop around for a doctor who has the judgement to know the limits of their knowledge (and or the judgement to clearly inform you, the patient, that they're engaging in chit chat as opposed to dispensing professional advise)

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is an idiot. I'd be looking for a new one ASAP. I wouldn't trust him to prescribe a bandaid.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Holy hell, your GP has no idea!! These things are a total waste on money. It's a common misconception that GPs actually know what they're talking about when it comes to weight loss, when really it is at most 1 class in med school, god knows how many years ago.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The protein and the fiber ideas are not horrible.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Your doctor suggested all of these? His name would happen to be DR. Oz would it?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, if I am reading your profile correctly, you have already lost more than 55 lbs. That's amazing! And I'm guessing you did that without all those supplements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can't imagine why your doctor would throw all those scam products at you when you are already killing it.

The suggestions are a waste of money. If your diet is low in protein, any protein powder would be fine. Or you could just eat more meat, dairy, or eggs. The same with the fiber - if your diet is low in fiber, you can try a supplement or eat more produce or whole grains.

Congrats on your success so far, just keep doing what you're doing :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, if I am reading your profile correctly, you have already lost more than 55 lbs. That's amazing! And I'm guessing you did that without all those supplements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can't imagine why your doctor would throw all those scam products at you when you are already killing it.

The suggestions are a waste of money. If your diet is low in protein, any protein powder would be fine. Or you could just eat more meat, dairy, or eggs. The same with the fiber - if your diet is low in fiber, you can try a supplement or eat more produce or whole grains.

Congrats on your success so far, just keep doing what you're doing :drinker:

This.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Is this really not a spam? An actual doctor who wasn't in the weight loss business suggested all of this?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't get over the fact that a presumably educated general practitioner recommended raspberry ketones and slimming teas :huh:
  • Nightnurse33
    Nightnurse33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get A REAL Doctor

Quack

Ted
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The reality is that general practitioners have had very little education on nutrition, hence a lot of woo. Smile then consult a registered dietician for more accurate answers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png