Binging-motivation

Options
Hey guys I'm seriously trying my hardest but I give in and binge every time and it's usually always at night . I just ate all my sons favorite animal crackers and the store is closed lol he hates me right now lol but seriously I'm stuck need motivational people in my world

Replies

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been there every night, lately! :( I suppose the silver lining is that when I can see it coming, I can stock my pantry with things to binge on, and (attempt) to plan for it. I like low sugar jello, tuna in water, light PB, cream cheese, rice cakes, etc. Stuff that creates a feeling of 'fullness' without being too calorie dense. I do my best to eat lighter during the day and have a filling dinner to curb the urge to binge as well, I think it helps a little? I log everything if I'm able to, even if I have to spread the calories through my week.

Maybe it would help to find a distraction! Clean, or do an exercise video off youtube, just distract yourself for half an hour, and I bet you won't feel quite as binge-y after :) I know how hard it is to hold off on binging in the moment, but you'll feel so much better for it in the long run :) You can do it!
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    iifym. Look it up. Best way to eat. Less likely to binge.

You'll laugh at "clean foods"
  • KierraMiller
    KierraMiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys ! I try to stick to eating one thing if I do binge but idk what's going on it's like I can eat all this stuff and still be able to eat more . My full signals arnt on . Is this normal?
  • boomshakalaka911
    Options
    Just eat more filling foods. Foods with more fiber.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hey guys I'm seriously trying my hardest but I give in and binge every time and it's usually always at night . I just ate all my sons favorite animal crackers and the store is closed lol he hates me right now lol but seriously I'm stuck need motivational people in my world
    I suffer from this, and have my whole life. I agree with the comments that suggest to eat more foods with fibre or protein. My 'go to' snack is sliced cucumber, dusted with cayenne pepper (if you like spicy) and make your own plain yoghurt based dip (you can make any flavour really, even sweet). Cucumber is amazing. You can eat SO MUCH of it and because of the high water content, you fill up fast.

A second technique I use is to stop, think, make a cup of herbal tea, drink a glass of water. By this time, I have talked myself out of the bad snack, and thought about if I am really hungry or just thirsty, or bored. If I am really hungry, I turn to the clean snack. Almonds are good, as long as you portion it out. They tend to curb hunger.

It is not easy, I struggle with this every day and will for the rest of my life. You might too! But as long as you just recognise the binge feeling, stop, think, and drink (haha not booze), you might be able to nip it in the bud. GOOD LUCK! :smile:
  • jenmovies
    Options
    Thank u guys ! I try to stick to eating one thing if I do binge but idk what's going on it's like I can eat all this stuff and still be able to eat more . My full signals arnt on . Is this normal?

Once you have been doing MFP for a while, you do retrain your brain a bit. Don't worry too much. You can stave off the binge!

Before I forget, the other thing I do is go look at the 'Success Stories' forum. It makes me want to try all that much harder to reach my goal!
  • jenmovies
    Options
    Oops one more thing, if you are craving something HAVE IT. Work it into your calorie limit for that day. I find if I do that, I won't try to binge until I'm finally satisfied. That REALLY works for me. I am trying to have zero bread but it is one of my favourite things. Truly! So sometimes I allow myself to have some (I literally cannot buy a loaf, I will eat half or all of it!). I just buy a small roll from the bakery, and just eat that or have a lower calorie veggie burger. Sorry for writing so much! I have a lifetime's worth of experience with binging and I hope some of this helps. Just find what works for you. :smile:
  • boomshakalaka911
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    Oops one more thing, if you are craving something HAVE IT. Work it into your calorie limit for that day. I find if I do that, I won't try to binge until I'm finally satisfied. That REALLY works for me. I am trying to have zero bread but it is one of my favourite things. Truly! So sometimes I allow myself to have some (I literally cannot buy a loaf, I will eat half or all of it!). I just buy a small roll from the bakery, and just eat that or have a lower calorie veggie burger. Sorry for writing so much! I have a lifetime's worth of experience with binging and I hope some of this helps. Just find what works for you. :smile:

a more indepth reason to follow IIFYM lol
  • jenmovies
    Options
    Ok last one! (lol)

For the specific night time binge: set a rule not to eat after two hours before bed, make herbal tea, brush your teeth, do something else like your 'get ready for bed' routine. You will eventually train yourself to not want food after a certain time. I'm really good at this now, and I don't crave late night stuff any more. That is one demon conquered! :smiley:
  • jenmovies
    edited October 2015
    Options
    a more indepth reason to follow IIFYM lol
    Oh my. I hadn't heard of this. Thank you! [Edit: macros, I have heard of. I'm really lazy at looking at these. Time to step up my game!]

• boomshakalaka911
    Options
    Lol @jenmovies . You're the bees knees
  • jenmovies
    Options
    Lol @jenmovies . You're the bees knees
    Is that the internet equivalent of a head pat? Oh well, I'll take it. :smile:

• boomshakalaka911
    Options
    It is :D
  • EuniceAduroja
    EuniceAduroja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggled with binging at night as well... It could be more than just feeling hungry. Think about what you tend to binge on at night and the reasons "why". Are you binging on sugary foods? Salty foods? Does binging at night help make you feel relaxed?

For example, every time I started dieting I would binge at night, but I tended to crave more sweet salty tasting foods. Overtime I realized I was binging as a way to relieve stress, not just hunger and that my body craved sweet and salty foods because I was attempting to low carb diet. When you reduce your carbs you usually need to "increase" your sodium intake a bit to support ketosis ( this has been scientifically proven, can google search). Then of course I was craving sweets because my body was'nt getting its usual amount of carbs due a low carb diet.

My solution: I found that taking a shower at night relaxed me and started to relieve that desire to "stress eat". I then decide to push my daily carb limit to a snack at night like apples and peanut butter. A handful of sweet and salty trail mix. Then at least 1qt of water. It's now helping. And if the craving at night is still bad. Try green or oolong tea with caffeine ( or unsweetened coffee) after dinner. It will reduce cravings and give you a full warm belly to sleep on. Good Luck!
  • KierraMiller
    KierraMiller Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank u guys so much I really appreciate it ! Doesn't help that the holidays are coming up either but I might just super glue my lips shut lol totally kidding thank u all