Previous strategy - no longer working.

Options
BreederUK
BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My previous strategy that I used to losing weight was going to the gym every weekday for 6.30am. 2 hours 15 mins cardiovascular (1 hour on cross trainer, 1 hour on the exercise and 15 mins on the treadmill) break for 15mins to change my t-shirt and etc then 30mins of weights / resistance training.

I keep a strict diet of ~ 1800 cals per day. I keep a food diary and record everything you eat.

This system worked and I lost 45kg over 9 months. I gained all this weight sadly and back to 156kg. I'm back on my strategy for 3 weeks but I've not seen any weight loss. The reason I think is that I'm burning enough in my gym sessions. I'm doing exactly the same workout but I cannot get my heart rate high enough. Anyone give any tips or advice:

Previous typical training session:

5x4fc7tbjqhq.png

Current typical training session:

5wn1q0jxaqpo.png

Weight over last 3 weeks.

uwtk385iyzyq.png

xw6nog4a6o1b.png

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You need to readjust your calorie goal now you've lost weight.
  • BreederUK
    Options
    According to my Fitbit scales. my FFM has increased from 71.6kg to 75.0kg and my fat mass has decreased from 84.9kg to 80.9kg.

6hxy4zm4hqmv.png

9yrv7ceb5qbf.png

I think the readings are erroneous. Its highly unlikely I've gained 3.4kg of muscle in 3 weeks.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Three weeks isn't very long, but, in general, if you're not losing weight you're eating too much.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think what you see in the mirror is more important than a scale reading
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Either you can workout longer or eat less.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Three weeks isn't very long, but, in general, if you're not losing weight you're eating too much.

This
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing fat then you are likely not in a deficit, so there are possibly things not tracked accurately or not tracked at all, you can't trick thermodynamics unfortunately. If you are eating 1,800, you aren't eating enough for that training load. I would also switch those sessions around so resistance training is first so you are not fatigued in any way and can perform optimally (I would also personally cut the duration down of the cardio). Your hydration levels can skew body composition measurements, even then there is a high error range when measuring this.

I'd say you should be closer to 2,500kcals per day. Possibly even more given the amount you want to lose then taper down more as your weight drops.

• BreederUK
    Options
    Okay this is an extract for my food diary. Its a typical day:

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

I'm eating ~1500 cals. a day. In the UK nutritionists recommend 2500cals for men per day. I'm not sure I can cope with eating a lower calorific intake.
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BreederUK wrote: »

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

I'm eating ~1500 cals. a day. In the UK nutritionists recommend 2500cals for men per day. I'm not sure I can cope with eating a lower calorific intake.

This has to be adjusted per individual and also for the training load, these were produced for the population as an average guideline. Definitely not eating enough and also can't see any notable fat sources in there.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

Are you weighing all of that food? The nice round numbers make me think you're not.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    What a food log says is one thing. Actual outcomes are the important things.

My checkbook can say I have plenty of money. That doesn't mean I necessarily do.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

So inaccurate logging. Get a food scale.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

Are you weighing all of that food? The nice round numbers make me think you're not.

+1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How much cereal? 75grams? 100 grams?
    How much chicken? 400 calories of chicken is a lot...same with the cereal.

AS mentioned get a food scale.

And just another comment...your previous method helped you lose weight but not keep it off...that's a red flag for me. Try something different that you can live with the rest of your life instead of being on a yo yo.
  • BreederUK
    Options
    No I'm not weighing foods they are estimates based on uniform portion sizes. Clearly, I'm underestimating my calorific intake. Will investigate food scales.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    How much cereal? 75grams? 100 grams?
    How much chicken? 400 calories of chicken is a lot...same with the cereal.

AS mentioned get a food scale.

And just another comment...your previous method helped you lose weight but not keep it off...that's a red flag for me. Try something different that you can live with the rest of your life instead of being on a yo yo.

+1

I think her comment on the sustainability of your strategies is wise and worth pondering OP.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    No I'm not weighing foods they are estimates based on uniform portion sizes. Clearly, I'm underestimating my calorific intake. Will investigate food scales.
    It's likely that you are but, even so, don't freak out too much over three weeks. That's not a lot of time, all in all.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Do that for sure. I'd also urge you to eat either according to an mfp goal of 1.5-2 lbs a week or TDEE-20%, not 1500 or 1475.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Aside from the food weighing part...if you were doing the same exact cardio routine for along time, your cardiovascular endurance increase, thus increasing the effort you now need to get your heart rate higher. You should consider adding some sort of intervals for your cardio training to allow for some change and diversity. This will help with your calorie burn for your workouts. But as noted, accurately measuring your food is extremely important. Good luck!