Previous strategy - no longer working.

Options

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio steady state in a fixed repetitive motion. If your burn is not showing as high, you may be much more efficient (which makes sense). Is that kind of long steady state time sustainable? Is that why you stopped? Conventional wisdom also seems to aim at lifting first, to maximize power/energy/gains. It could be that a tweaked routine could give you better results in less time. But yes, also, I think you are probably underestimating your intake, per the posts above.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I wish bananas were only 75 calories. You appear to be underestimating what you are eating. You need to rethink how you are logging to improve the accuracy.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When do you have time for anything but work and the gym? That is so not a life I could live forever.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that I actually really enjoy going to the gym. Its a pleasure not a chore. I'm applying for jobs in March so I need to lose weight for my job interviews. I'm currently studying towards my accountancy exams full time and the gym is helping stay concentrated.

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone. I'll report back here at the end of the month with an update on my progress.

Take care everyone!

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Food scale was the best decision I ever made regarding the weight loss process. Not only does it keep you honest, but also teaches you how incredibly inaccurate packaging labels and measuring cups are. You can't eyeball it. Weighing is the only way.

Great example: I eat a lot of plain Greek yogurt. I call it my "mush". I do 2 servings of yogurt, 1 serving of whatever kind of granola I have in the pantry, and a tablespoon of honey. It's been one of my staples over the last several months. I used to measure the yogurt with measuring cups, but when I got a food scale, I found out that I was WAY underestimating how much I was eating.

I also found out that 4 servings on some containers of yogurt is more like 3 1/2 and on some containers it's more like 4 1/2. Chobani says there are 4 cups in their large container when there are only 3 1/2 if you REALLY scrape it all out thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Fage says there are 4 cups in theirs too, and theirs is about $3 more than Chobani, but they give you well over 4 cups.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Your body is also getting used to your exercise routine. Is there a way you can increase your incline on the treadmill? You'd be surprised what 1% incline when you had none can do for raising your heartrate. If you do not raise your heartrate like you did before doing the same exercise, then you are OVER estimating your calorie burn which in turn causes you to over estimate on how much you should eat. This equals, you're eating too much to lose any of the weight.

You have to face it (looking at your heart rate charts) that you are more fit than before even though you're starting at the same weight again.
  • BreederUK
    Options

No I'm definitely not fitter than before. I'm 156kg and previously I was around 120kg on the previous heart rate charts.

I'm definitely going to start weighing my food.

wkwebby wrote: »
    Your body is also getting used to your exercise routine. Is there a way you can increase your incline on the treadmill? You'd be surprised what 1% incline when you had none can do for raising your heartrate. If you do not raise your heartrate like you did before doing the same exercise, then you are OVER estimating your calorie burn which in turn causes you to over estimate on how much you should eat. This equals, you're eating too much to lose any of the weight.

You have to face it (looking at your heart rate charts) that you are more fit than before even though you're starting at the same weight again.

• BreederUK
    Options
    I've identified there were hidden calories in my food diary. The marinade I had been using on my chicken is 400cals. I've now switched to a dry spice rub which is neglible calories. I'm wondering if I've really gained muscle and lost fat as according to Fitbit.

a9l1t7rmz9j4.png

I'm going to increase my cardio by using the incline treadmill at the gym.

Thank for the continued support.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BreederUK wrote: »
    Okay this is an extract for my food diary. Its a typical day:

g0cghgvcf7bj.jpg

I'm eating ~1500 cals. a day. In the UK nutritionists recommend 2500cals for men per day. I'm not sure I can cope with eating a lower calorific intake.

Where's the serving size and the weight of those foods? The only time I had a 75 calorie bananna is when I cut off some bruised parts. Bananas generally range in calories from 110 to as much as 145 calories each, depending on weight. Get a food scale, and weigh everything.

It's easy to underestimate calories in, which is what you're doing here.

What about exercise? Do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Budding accountants know how to stick with a winning strategy. I predict with accurate logging and persistence you are going to see results.
  • BreederUK
    Options
    The calorific expenditure is what I'm burning in the gym every weekday according to my Polar heart rate monitor.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I've identified there were hidden calories in my food diary. The marinade I had been using on my chicken is 400cals. I've now switched to a dry spice rub which is neglible calories. I'm wondering if I've really gained muscle and lost fat as according to Fitbit.

a9l1t7rmz9j4.png

I'm going to increase my cardio by using the incline treadmill at the gym.

Thank for the continued support.

You are doing WAY more cardio than strength training so you very likely have NOT gained 3+lbs of muscle in 3 weeks. If only it were that easy....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    This is America's Test Kitchen's top pick for digital food scales: OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display (11 pound capacity.)

OXO Good Grips 5-Pound Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, Black is $20 less.

I like the extra capacity so I can also weigh heavy glass casserole dishes plus food, but this wouldn't be a necessity for everybody.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This is America's Test Kitchen's top pick for digital food scales: OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display (11 pound capacity.)

OXO Good Grips 5-Pound Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, Black is $20 less.

I like the extra capacity so I can also weigh heavy glass casserole dishes plus food, but this wouldn't be a necessity for everybody.

Same one I've got, and it's a GREAT food scale. I got my from Sears. About $20.

@BreederUK, so you get your exercise calories from the heart rate monitor. Do you eat those exercise calories back?

If you are on the TDEE method, you would not eat any exercise calories back. If you are on the MFP method, you would.

Also, when using a heart rate monitor, the only calories that are counted are the cardio ones when you keep your heart rate up at a steady state. All other exercise is part of your activity level.

Also, why do you exercise 2 plus hours a day? That seems extensive.

• BreederUK
    Options
    I enjoy exercising for 2.5 hours every weekday. I want to add to my current workout routine. I think I need to do 30 minutes more strength training.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Did you try upping your incline or resistance when you run? Or do you run outside? That could also help you to expend more calories (if you are on a treadmill or even an elliptical). Just a thought.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising for 2.5 hours every weekday. I want to add to my current workout routine. I think I need to do 30 minutes more strength training.

Do you?? I would never exercise if I had to do that much every day. I was going to recommend strength training along with HIIT. It's quick and I have seen awesome results. The only reason I exercise almost every day is because it's only an hour!!
    Good luck! You've gotten some great advice on here.
  • BreederUK
    Options
    Friday is weigh day. Lost 2.8kg this week.

9fr67wux7q6p.png

I bought a new Giant hybrid cycle. I read that cycling is HIT. I'm going to start going for bike rides every weekend morning.

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Friday is weigh day. Lost 2.8kg this week.

9fr67wux7q6p.png

I bought a new Giant hybrid cycle. I read that cycling is HIT. I'm going to start going for bike rides every weekend morning.

More cardio is probably the last thing you need. Start a structured lifting program, start/keep weighing your food, log it all, and you will be set.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I wish bananas were only 75 calories. You appear to be underestimating what you are eating. You need to rethink how you are logging to improve the accuracy.

Yep. Mine today is 125 calories.