Shake diets? How did you go on a shake diet?

Options
Hello :)
I'm just wondering If anybody has tried a shake diet, where you replace (for example) breakfast and lunch with shakes, and just have a not too heavy dinner?
If so, what were your results?

Replies

• timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These diets are inherently a short term, quick fix with out learning experience and therefore nothing I would recommend.
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stay well away from them. Eat food rather than drink it. They are all fads. Spend your money on food.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I lost heaps of weight really quickly with a shake at breakfast and lunch, and a dinner of small lean protein and veg!!

Then I stopped because it sucked, made me miserable and I was crazy hungry and I gained it all back, with more, really fast. The only time I tried to lose weight and it stuck was when I learned to count calories, work out what I needed, eat to that target and learn food skills for life.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've tried the shake meal replacement thing in the past and it worked for me short term, because I quit it. The best advice is make your own from fresh milk and fruit or yogurts and fruit combined with a little milk and ice. Lots of recipes to make your own fresh and chemical free. I say if you choose one from the can do your research on the product, best of care to you.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My results I loss 15 lbs until I started missing having a meal I could chew, even though the shakes were ok they couldn't do it for me long term.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I lasted 1.5 weeks. There was no way I could stick to it any longer without going crazy. I lost 2kg, most of it was water weight and I regained it all almost immediately once I ate solid food. Not worth it.
  • katieboo93_
    katieboo93_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stay away from these rubbish diets! They do not work.

Seriously.
  • shantal_96
    shantal_96 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, I think I'll definitely stick with just calorie counting with actual food ☺️
    Would it still be okay to have a shake for breakfast? Or just proper food for each meal?
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    shantal_96 wrote: »
    Oh okay, I think I'll definitely stick with just calorie counting with actual food ☺️
    Would it still be okay to have a shake for breakfast? Or just proper food for each meal?

If having a shake for breakfast suits your day and schedule for convenience, then yeah, go for it. I like walnuts, espresso, milk/almond milk, frozen banana and some oats, maybe some whey. Far more nutrient dense than anything sold by 'meal replacement shake' companies.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I would never in a million years recommend a 'shake diet'.

By all means, a shake or smoothie for your breakfast with some fruit is absolutely fine! But please don't buy into this "Drink shakes and only shakes and you will lose weight" scams. Please! If you do the research, you are still most likely consuming the same amount of calories as you would with food - the idea of 'shake' makes it seem 'fast' and 'rapid' and 'a sure thing'. It isn't. I promise, the moment you start back on your solids, your body will cling on to those for dear life and before you know it, all your losses will turn into gains.

When I was 18, I wanted to lose weight and I wanted to lose weight 'fast' (silly me..!). I started a well-known UK shake based plan, lost weight - felt TERRIBLE in the process - and gained it all as soon as I started 'maintenance'.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Stay well away from them. Eat food rather than drink it. They are all fads. Spend your money on food.
    Yes this.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The question is why, not how.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I do a protein drink for my lunch every day because it curbs my hunger all afternoon and helps me stay under my goal, but it's just a protein mix that I purchase myself and add my own stuff to it. Honestly, I'll probably keep drinking them even after I hit maintenance because I really like them and I much prefer to eat a bigger dinner with snacks later in the day before bed.

I would never buy into any diet program that sells shakes though, and I wouldn't replace more than one meal with it.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I lasted 1.5 weeks. There was no way I could stick to it any longer without going crazy. I lost 2kg, most of it was water weight and I regained it all almost immediately once I ate solid food. Not worth it.

This was pretty much my experience. Plus I was so hungry and emotional I was unpleasant to be around.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    shantal_96 wrote: »

I drink lots of smoothies in the summer when I want cold food. I start with protein powder, and add fruit. By the time I finish adding peanut butter, flax seed, chia seed, etc, it's a hearty liquid meal with good balance of protein, fat, and carbs.

What brand of shakes were you looking at?

I randomly picked Slim Fast Rich Chocolate Royale. I see the first ingredient is sugar and that it doesn't have enough protein and fat to keep me full for long. YMMV, so you could certainly try it yourself.

9f88f90bff63ee4684bb95a88926bbc7.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would rather eat real food. More bang for your buck.
  • scottwilson16
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Personally, I would rather eat real food. More bang for your buck.

Exactly. Need to get some jaw hypertrophy
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    The only shake I have every day is a protein shake, and if I have room in my cals I do enjoy a fresh green smoothie here and there (that I made myself) As everyone else has said, these are a temporary fix at best, not to mention that most of the store bought shakes taste like chalk. Bleck! Best of luck to you!
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love shakes for meals, every once in a while. I will also add PB2 and a banana, but always count the calories, as the extra ingredients add to the protein. But like others said, if you do two shakes a day and small dinner, your likely not getting 1200 calories, which what everyone tells me should be the minimum.